🖥️ActiveHome Pro > Help & Troubleshooting

Likely XPCR Failure

<< < (3/3)

roger1818:

--- Quote from: dave w on December 18, 2017, 05:11:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: roger1818 on December 18, 2017, 01:37:24 PM --- One of the issues with using the capacitor solution is that 240V modules won't work since the signals on the two hot wires are in phase, so the delta between them is zero. 

--- End quote ---
I don't think I understand that. Signals would be 180 degrees out of phase, wouldn't they?

--- End quote ---

The 60Hz power would be 180 degrees out of phase from the transformer on the pole (the capacitor acts as an open to it), but to the 120KHz X10 carrier, the capacitor acts as a short, so the X10 signals will be in phase on both power phases (with a slight signal reduction).

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: kenwood850 on December 18, 2017, 10:20:39 PM ---I would guess if there is a 5V X10 signal between one leg and the neutral there would be a 10V signal between the two legs by having them out of phase by 180 degrees.  Placing the same X10 signal on both legs would still achieve 5V of signal between each leg and the neutral but 0 V between the two legs when there is no neutral.
--- End quote ---

That is correct.  And the original version of the X10 XPCP passive coupler did invert the phase of the 120KHz when connected per the instructions.

It is interesting that the newer version in the "Decora" plastic case does not invert the phase when connected per the instructions, so both phases have the same signal.  That is the approach I took with the XTB-IIR because any 240V resistive loads like a stove or water heater would also severely attenuate flipped phase signals.

There are very few 240V X10 loads out there, and when one exists, the fix is to attenuate the signal on one 120V leg at the 240V load with a capacitor to neutral.

Jeff

Jeff Weems:
I am replying just for the record.
I bought an XPCR from Amazon.com 1/26/2019.
The box and the device appeared to be brand new/unused.

I carefully installed per the instructions provided with the XPCR.
I used an XTBM to verify that XPCR responded, X10 signals were repeated across the 120V phases, and X10 signals amplified by about 5V near the XPCR. The LED on the XPCR was flashing as signals were repeated.

After maybe an hour there were X10 misses, and the XTBM showed no repeater on the system. The LED on the XPCR was not flashing.
I power cycled the XPCR and then it worked correctly again, but only for an hour or so, and then once again the XTBM reported no repeater, there was no repeating, and the XPCR LED was not flashing.

I have ordered an XTB-IIR and have other options I will pursue. The XPCR description sounds good, and the price is low, but based on my experience not a reliable device. If anyone is successfully using the XPCR and has any suggestions for me I'd be interested.

brobin:
You made the right choice ordering the XTB-IIR as it is far superior to any other repeater/coupler/amplifier ever made - and I believe I've tried them all. It just works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version