🖥️ActiveHome Pro > Help & Troubleshooting

Likely XPCR Failure

<< < (2/3) > >>

Brian H:
I don't know how the XPCR receives and then repeats the messages.
I suspect. It receives a message on a phase. Then sends it after it is complete.
Maybe timed to the phases Zero Crossing signal. As it has three outputs and can be used on a three phase 208 Volt or split phase 220 volt system.

I have seen some reference to some controllers sending three messages timed so one of the three matches each phase in a 3 phase system.

I thought I saw information on not having both an active repeater and passive coupling between the phases. Don't off hand remember why.

roger1818:
Having both an XPCR and capacitors across the phases will definitely cause problems.  One of the issues with using the capacitor solution is that 240V modules won't work since the signals on the two hot wires are in phase, so the delta between them is zero.  The XPCR solves this by transmitting inverted signals (shifted 180 degrees) on opposite phases, so that the delta between phases is 2X.  If you have both installed, it will short out the transmissions from the XPCR and could potentially damage the transmitter.

dave w:

--- Quote from: roger1818 on December 18, 2017, 01:37:24 PM --- One of the issues with using the capacitor solution is that 240V modules won't work since the signals on the two hot wires are in phase, so the delta between them is zero. 

--- End quote ---
I don't think I understand that. Signals would be 180 degrees out of phase, wouldn't they?

kenwood850:
The new XPCR arrived today and I installed it this evening.   Everything is turning off and on as it should so it would appear the old unit was indeed defective.   If the new unit lasts as long as the old one, I will be happy.

I was a little confused as well but after thinking about it, Roger1818’s explanation makes sense for the same reason the two 120V legs have to be 180 degrees out of phase to achieve 240V.  I would guess if there is a 5V X10 signal between one leg and the neutral there would be a 10V signal between the two legs by having them out of phase by 180 degrees.  Placing the same X10 signal on both legs would still achieve 5V of signal between each leg and the neutral but 0 V between the two legs when there is no neutral.  If you put the capacitors between both legs for coupling you are essentially shorting out the 10V signal since the impedance is probably less than 5 ohms.   In my installation, it probably does not make much difference if the signal between each leg is in or out of phase since all my modules are between one leg and neutral, but since there are 240 V modules, I can see why the XPCR is designed the way it is and why the capacitors should not be used.

In my case the capacitors, as is the XPCR, are on their own dedicated breakers so I have turned the breakers off but left capacitors in place in case of another XPCR failure down the road.

Thanks to everyone for their explanations and suggestions.

Brian H:
You may want to look at Jeff's great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials.
The one on Passive Couplers and Repeaters maybe particularly interesting.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version