Cortana
- 4 (7.1%)
Siri
- 9 (16.1%)
Other (please specify)
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Please create an voice assitant skill  (Read 11190 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Please create an voice assitant skill
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 01:17:36 AM »

Yes, I am familiar with the history.  But the term is usually used today for someone who avoids new technology.

That is a shame. Yes... they're, there, and their seem interchangeable to many today also. But that is NOT my fault. Many, many people died or were displaced during the industrial revolution. We are seeing similar displacements with todays technological revolution. And... IMHO... much more is yet to come. Forgive the old soldier in me that doesn't hesitate to point out the threat conditions as I see them. If we don't remember our past... we are destined to repeat it.

I only recently upgraded my emergency flip-phone to an Android smartphone because it became waterlogged when I hiked the Kalalau Trail on Kauai.  ......

I lost a camera to rain in the Puerto Rican Rain Forest years ago. Your hike sounds great! I am bicyclist now myself (I ride a solid 2000 miles a year). Cyclist keep their phones, cash, and whatnots... in Ziploc bags. They do a good job. Some of my bikes are latest greatest.... some are vintage. I even have a beautiful old vintage steel bike (last of an era).

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:21:36 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »

Your hike sounds great! I am bicyclist now myself (I ride a solid 2000 miles a year). Cyclist keep their phones, cash, and whatnots... in Ziploc bags. They do a good job.

I had everything in ziplog bags too, but I slipped on a muddy rock crossing a stream and came down on my backpack in the stream.  That blew open the bag, and it filled with water.  (Those muddy rocks were so slippery it was like hiking on ice.)

If interested in photos:  http://jvde.us/photos/Kalalau-Trail-Kauai/

I wish I still had my old JC Higgins bike with the balloon tires and coiled spring front suspension.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:49 AM »

If interested in photos:  http://jvde.us/photos/Kalalau-Trail-Kauai/   

MY GOD.... that's serious hiking! Any path that has a "Hazardous cliff" signs.... is out of my league. 

I wish I still had my old JC Higgins bike with the balloon tires and coiled spring front suspension.

John Higgins was an actual real life Sears employee.... who started with sears in 1898. And.... the fat tires are popular again! My Gravel Grinder has big tires.... it's a go anywhere road bike.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 07:32:22 AM »

I always thought that Jon Higgins was a pseudonym for Robin Masters.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »

I always thought that Jon Higgins was a pseudonym for Robin Masters.

rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 04:04:58 AM »

Youse guys are talkin way over my head.  <huge grin>
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »

There are several FREE ways to get Alexa control over x10. Waiting for a skill to be available for this product before purchase is  unrealistic.
I have Alex, Google and Cortana control over my X10 and didn't have to wait for a skill.
No new devices need to be purchased for Voice control of X10.
Use what you have till a skill comes but don't  wait for one before purchasing a WM100, this unit is a power house as is.

Thanks to your excellent Alex10 program I do have Alexa control for X10 now but the WM100 with an Alexa skill would eliminate the need for the PC that runs it.  I already have WiFi control and everything else (and more) that the Willie offers through my long running Stargate installation.  The CM-15a I bought for Alex10 has no scheduling at all and is only used as a signal interface.  The Willie does offer a lot but I would only use it as an Alexa bridge. 

gkamieneski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »

I guess I am with those waiting to buy the Willie, until Alexa support, but do people think this will require a hardware change, firmware update, or does the Alexa skill simply have to be published?

If I knew I could buy the Willie now and use it as currently configured and then take advantage of the Alexa script when available, I would be happy,.

HA Dave

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 06:44:28 PM »

Thanks to your excellent Alex10 program I do have Alexa control for X10 now but the WM100 with an Alexa skill would eliminate the need for the PC that runs it. ...... 

I ran a Home Automation [dedicated] PC or laptop for over a decade. Maybe.... it was the introduction of the low-wattage LED lights that helped make me aware of the power consumed by my HA PC's. It certainly wasn't the cost of the computers... as I always used door-stop dust-collector grade computers for HA PC's. But even now.... I am using a Hometroller (homeseer raspberry pi)... which is by every description a computer... but runs on milliamps.

Whether we use little stick or micro-PC's or old used desktops.... great Home Automation requires the power of PC processing and programs. Although this processing needed could be supplied by a HUB.... I don't know of a HUB out there that does much processing. Or course [smart] mobile phones and "cloud-processing" (like with Alexa and/or googles voice) should make home computers far less needed... "in the future". But for now.... we can do a lot with the small HUB's and just a bit more when we add a stick PC, Raspberry Pi, or high-end specialty unit (like Homeseer).   

I guess I am with those waiting to buy the Willie, until Alexa support, but do people think this will require a hardware change, firmware update, or does the Alexa skill simply have to be published?

If I knew I could buy the Willie now and use it as currently configured and then take advantage of the Alexa script when available, I would be happy,.

I "think" and have read here... we're just waiting for the minor bugs to be ironed-out of the current app.... and then the Amazon-Alexa skill will be introduced. Meanwhile... the WM-100 is the very best (smart phone based) remote control ever made for X10... and it works from everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:49:56 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »

The Willie will not require a hardware change for an Alexa skill.
A skill basically just sends a HTTP Get to a device simular to what the WiFi app does now.
The hub sends back an acknowledgement to AWS simular to what it does now.
If the Protocol was published anyone could build a skill for the Willie for now we have to wait for the developer as they know the protocol.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

gkamieneski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »

Thanks gentlemen.

Seems I might as well pull the trigger on a WM100 now and gain control from iPhone. Then when the skill is published, I will have Alexa control as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.