Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?  (Read 45123 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 06:04:40 AM »

@petera - Almost off topic but it will determine which way I move my entire HA system. I have the same new RPi3 as HA Dave. Can I run Homeseer 3 standard on it without plug-in limitations? Right now I have HS3 standard on a windows mini PC, but I would like to move the entire operation to the RPi3.

Therefore the RPi3 would have a CM15A, a zigbee addon card, the z-net via RJ45, RFXCOM as hardware. The software would be HS3 as the overall control software with all the necessary plugins to run the system. However, some people have said that HS3 for raspberry has the same 5 plug-in restriction as it does for the Zeetroller S2. I can't seem to get consistent answers.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:52 AM »

Could I suggest starting a new post covering this subject. Those in the "know" can step you slowly through the installation and configuration process. I'm no Linux expert but followed very clear steps I found on other sites to get Homegenie up and running. Once it's running it will all make sense to you.

I haven't used Homegenie in quite a while so as a test today I started with a blank SD card and had Homegenie running x10 in just over 2 hours.

I searched though the thread.... wondering from where you downloaded the Homegenie install. I know most sites just use a re-direct back to the vendors DL site. But I think other also mirror. Could you give me the link of the Site you used to get Homegenie..... Or would http://www.homegenie.it/ be OK?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

racerfern

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »

homegenie.it works. Then in the upper right hand corner, click Get Started.

Click download, then click the Linux.deb area.
Further down there are install instructions that if it were me, I would follow like lemmings into the sea. @petera will have to help on that part

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »

HA Dave, Since I know you have a RM Broadlink you may wish to look at something that works with HA-Bridge the next build is said to have support for it.  ;) many use it on a PI.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »

HA Dave, Since I know you have a RM Broadlink you may wish to look at something that works with HA-Bridge the next build is said to have support for it.  ;) many use it on a PI.

I setup the RM Broadlink directly (and only) through it's own app, and Alexa skill. It works great. I have a "goodnight" "routine" (using the Alexa-Amazon app) that shuts off all normal lights, turns off my TV, Cable Box, easy chair (it has an electric footrest), and runs a macro that turns ON a small light (for easy navigation to the bedroom) and then 3 minutes later... shuts it off too.

I have a similar yet different "rise and shine" morning thing..... that isn't used as much as the night time routine. And I also say: Mute television" from time-to-time. But for normal TV watching I used a normal Harmony programmed remote.

What really want is to get voice alerts, warnings, announcements, etc. along with a set of macros-like actions that run on a smart computer-like device.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »

I wrote a guide for Jesse that may be out of date now.  It is what I use when I build a HG SD image.  I'm going to have to set up a new image for my RPi3 that arrived yesterday, so I will document the process.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to change the directions since my email stopped working recently (most likely just need to do an update for RPi to get updated certificates).

The HG forum died last year, so if you need HG related questions answered it would be best to go to a fan forum set up to replace it:
homegenie.club

That forum has a snapshot of the forum before it went offline, so it has all the help that was provided archived.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »

The HG forum died last year, so if you need HG related questions answered it would be best to go to a fan forum set up to replace it:
homegenie.club

When I click on your URL, McAfee blocks it, reporting "Malicious Sites, Spam URLs".
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

racerfern

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »

homegenie.club opens fine for me, then I don't use McAfee. Seems like a good forum.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »

It triggers McAfee on my work PC but it doesn't on my home PC or phone.  The site is fine so no worries (well, I haven't seen any issues, but I'm not a security expert).

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »

Could I suggest starting a new post covering this subject. Those in the "know" can step you slowly through the installation and configuration process. I'm no Linux expert but followed very clear steps I found on other sites to get Homegenie up and running. Once it's running it will all make sense to you.

I haven't used Homegenie in quite a while so as a test today I started with a blank SD card and had Homegenie running x10 in just over 2 hours.

I searched though the thread.... wondering from where you downloaded the Homegenie install. I know most sites just use a re-direct back to the vendors DL site. But I think other also mirror. Could you give me the link of the Site you used to get Homegenie..... Or would http://www.homegenie.it/ be OK?

Just click on this link and move down to the end of the page. You will see documentation and download. Download whatever version you require http://www.homegenie.it/

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »

I wrote a guide for Jesse that may be out of date now.  It is what I use when I build a HG SD image.  I'm going to have to set up a new image for my RPi3 that arrived yesterday, so I will document the process.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to change the directions since my email stopped working recently (most likely just need to do an update for RPi to get updated certificates).

homegenie.club

That forum has a snapshot of the forum before it went offline, so it has all the help that was provided archived.

Bkenobi have HG 526 working on Stretch now. Email working fine. Only spun it a couple of days ago. I've been away from HG for some time but I've noted some users have taken the baton and started to work on it again. I'll come back on board and see what happens. I know you've done a fair bit of work on the product from your posts on the previous forum. Such a shame it slipped away. Anyway hope springs eternal :)%

HA Dave

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »

Just click on this link and move down to the end of the page. You will see documentation and download. Download whatever version you require http://www.homegenie.it/

The download gets stuck loading... I've tried a few times but this is as far as it gets then just hangs there.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »

I think a round of Auld Lang Syne might be in order here.  Another year where I didn’t convert to z wave. 
I don’t have a dog either.  Mother nature recently required that I walk the snow thrower.  Does that count?
Maybe you won't have to. X10 is looking up!
Yes
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »

The download gets stuck loading... I've tried a few times but this is as far as it gets then just hangs there.

I assume you're downloading the Windows version. I've never used it on Windows. Have you tried setting up the Raspberry Pi on Raspbian yet. Bkenobi just posted that he did a full write up instruction for Raspbian. Are you willing to try it. Don't be afraid. It won't bite. I promise -:)

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »

@petera - Almost off topic but it will determine which way I move my entire HA system. I have the same new RPi3 as HA Dave. Can I run Homeseer 3 standard on it without plug-in limitations? Right now I have HS3 standard on a windows mini PC, but I would like to move the entire operation to the RPi3.

Therefore the RPi3 would have a CM15A, a zigbee addon card, the z-net via RJ45, RFXCOM as hardware. The software would be HS3 as the overall control software with all the necessary plugins to run the system. However, some people have said that HS3 for raspberry has the same 5 plug-in restriction as it does for the Zeetroller S2. I can't seem to get consistent answers.

HS3 Standard as far as I know is the same as HS3 Pro except it includes no plugins at purchase. No plugin limitation. You buy the HS3 plugins separately. The HS3 Pi version has the 5 plugin limitation which is the same version that you will find on the Hometroller ZeeS2.

Hope that clears things up for you. And now back on topic  :)%

Could you get HA Dave up to speed on Raspbian for the Pi. Once he has the OS up and running its just a matter of a few cut and paste commands into a Terminal session on the PC and the Pi and he will have HomeGenie up and running. He could do it on the Pi but why bother hooking up a load of peripherals unnecessarily.

When he has that sorted his next lesson is a crash course in SSH using PuTTY. Once he cracks that he'll never look back and have one of the most reliable and versatile x10 utilities he's ever had  :)%

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.