Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?  (Read 45119 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »

Could you

HA! That's like asking me what C♯ is and I answer the same as D♭. I am totally clueless when it comes to anything Linux, and at my age it will probably stay that way for quite awhile.  :(

I'm stumbling through this hand in hand with HA Dave. We're like two of the three characters in the Wizard of Oz stumbling down the road looking for a leader. Hey that's you!

I won't even delve into my struggles extracting a tar file to a specified directory, what nano is or the difference between sudo and sudo su (ok, I know this one).

Get my point?

As an aside, I got homeseer to run on the Pi3 but have yet to get homegenie to work. But I will!!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »

..... I got homeseer to run on the Pi3 ...

Congratulations! I spend most of the day playing with grandkids.

But... I did unplug my HA laptop. It's been a decade since the home hasn't to me. But now I feel like I might have a new re-starting point.

But then again.... I may have to delete macros and reassign some house codes too. I've often wondered... if I was to rebuild my setup... what it would be/look/behave like. But it always seem a little drastic to gain some small improvement... if any. But I am sure if don't undo a lot of what I have now... I'll never be able to make it all that much better by tinkering around the edges.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »

The download gets stuck loading... I've tried a few times but this is as far as it gets then just hangs there.

I assume you're downloading the Windows version. I've never used it on Windows. Have you tried setting up the Raspberry Pi on Raspbian yet. Bkenobi just posted that he did a full write up instruction for Raspbian. Are you willing to try it. Don't be afraid. It won't bite. I promise -:)

No.... I am looking at running the house on Raspberry Pi. I want the new Raspberry Pi 3 I bought to run homegenie (or something comparable) My failures have all been trying to get software on the new Pi unit. I did do a [shift] do over and selected the Microsoft core as one of the OS's but haven't done anything with it.
What I'd like... or what I started out to attain... is to be able to run macros on a running version of Homegenie (or whatever) running on Raspbian on a Pi unit, with audio announcements.

But I am going to try to keep an open mind about the possibilities. I don't want to get stuck with trying to recreate an old paradigm of HA from years past. I've loved the startrek/ironman like talking house for many years... but maybe there is something better.   

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »

I found the instructions I wrote for Jessie last March.  I can't say that they will work perfectly on a RPi3 nor can I say that something hasn't changed slightly in the last 10 months.  I'm going to have to install things again on a new card, so I'll update the details at that time.  I'll either get to it this weekend, or it won't be until early February.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:21 AM »

The download gets stuck loading... I've tried a few times but this is as far as it gets then just hangs there.

I assume you're downloading the Windows version. I've never used it on Windows. Have you tried setting up the Raspberry Pi on Raspbian yet. Bkenobi just posted that he did a full write up instruction for Raspbian. Are you willing to try it. Don't be afraid. It won't bite. I promise -:)

No.... I am looking at running the house on Raspberry Pi. I want the new Raspberry Pi 3 I bought to run homegenie (or something comparable) My failures have all been trying to get software on the new Pi unit. I did do a [shift] do over and selected the Microsoft core as one of the OS's but haven't done anything with it.
What I'd like... or what I started out to attain... is to be able to run macros on a running version of Homegenie (or whatever) running on Raspbian on a Pi unit, with audio announcements.

But I am going to try to keep an open mind about the possibilities. I don't want to get stuck with trying to recreate an old paradigm of HA from years past. I've loved the startrek/ironman like talking house for many years... but maybe there is something better.

HA Dave have a look look through this link. It's the old Homegenie forum. It will give you a gereral feeling of how homegenie works and how it is installed. There's no search facility available as its archived but you can click on any post and read how users progressed.

http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/index.html

As soon as you feel ready to install HomeGenie you could make a new post on the subject and we can step you through it line by line. >!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2018, 08:13:43 AM »

I'm stumbling through the text file you uploaded. I've previously done some of this so I'm starting at the download. Note the newer version.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/homegenie/files/homegenie-beta_1.1.r525_all.deb

HA Dave

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »

I found the instructions I wrote for Jessie last March.  I can't say that they will work perfectly on a RPi3 nor can I say that something hasn't changed slightly in the last 10 months.  I'm going to have to install things again on a new card, so I'll update the details at that time.

Wow. That's an impressive set of instructions on the text file. Just the terminology (and likely code editing).... are above my current skill set. I am diffidently going to need classes or instruction for this. Or maybe I could sent you two new memory cards and you could mail me one back that is ready to run?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »

I found the instructions I wrote for Jessie last March.  I can't say that they will work perfectly on a RPi3 nor can I say that something hasn't changed slightly in the last 10 months.  I'm going to have to install things again on a new card, so I'll update the details at that time.

Wow. That's an impressive set of instructions on the text file. Just the terminology (and likely code editing).... are above my current skill set. I am diffidently going to need classes or instruction for this. Or maybe I could sent you two new memory cards and you could mail me one back that is ready to run?

I'd love to do that HA Dave but I'm located in Ireland and I'm not sure how reliable the postage would be. Petec, another member here is located a little closer to your home and I'm sure with a little "persuasion" he could do this a little easier for you. He's a very obliging individual and again an "old timer" when it comes to X10.

What he could possibly do is create an SSH session into your Raspberry Pi and do this remotely for you. He has done this quite successfully for a few others on the Homeseer forum. I could do this but we have to be mindful of the time difference between us.

Just let me know what you would like to do and we could organise this for you.

HA Dave

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »

....I'd love to do that HA Dave but I'm located in Ireland ......

You are really nice, Helpful person!

What he could possibly do is create an SSH session into your Raspberry Pi and do this remotely for you. He has done this quite successfully for a few others on the Homeseer forum. I could do this but we have to be mindful of the time difference between us.

How would I set up the SSH? I enable that in preferences. But I think I'd have to assign a port too. Let me think. My individual IP address, + the Pi's extension (like, 192.168.1.116) + the port. How do I assign a port or is that required? I'd have to make an acceptation at the router.....   

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2018, 09:57:24 PM »

....I'd love to do that HA Dave but I'm located in Ireland ......

You are really nice, Helpful person!

How would I set up the SSH? I enable that in preferences. But I think I'd have to assign a port too. Let me think. My individual IP address, + the Pi's extension (like, 192.168.1.116) + the port. How do I assign a port or is that required? I'd have to make an acceptation at the router.....   

Yes you port forward for the address assigned to your Raspberry Pi on your via your LAN via yiur router and your external IP address plus whatever port is opened foe remote connection. The default port is 80 if you do not define one so on your router set port forwarding 192.168.1.116 and start port 8081 end port 8081. Say if your external ip address is 44.2.134.107 if someone wanted to SSH into your Pi it would be 44.2.134.107:8081

I assume you know how to check your external ip address. Just google what is my ip address

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »

The instructions were intended to be a literal "press x, press y, type z, ..."

I figured they would actually be easier to follow since they explicitly stated every character that needed typing.  If you SSH into the box from a windows machine (which is how I set my RPi up), you can actually have the text file open next to the terminal window and copy/paste over.  It's really, REALLY easy.  On my slow DSL 1.5MB connection the hardest part is waiting for all the updates to finish.  If you have a real broadband connection, it should only take a few minutes.  For me, it's hours.

If there are any specific questions, I can try to answer them though I haven't used the instructions for almost a year.  Like I said, I'm going to start from scratch on my RPi3 install, so I'll modify the instructions as necessary.  I didn't get a chance over the weekend and now it's going to be early February before I get to it.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »

The instructions were intended to be a literal "press x, press y, type z, ..."

I figured they would actually be easier to follow since they explicitly stated every character that needed typing.  If you SSH into the box from a windows machine (which is how I set my RPi up), you can actually have the text file open next to the terminal window and copy/paste over.  It's really, REALLY easy.  On my slow DSL 1.5MB connection the hardest part is waiting for all the updates to finish.  If you have a real broadband connection, it should only take a few minutes.  For me, it's hours.

If there are any specific questions, I can try to answer them though I haven't used the instructions for almost a year.  Like I said, I'm going to start from scratch on my RPi3 install, so I'll modify the instructions as necessary.  I didn't get a chance over the weekend and now it's going to be early February before I get to it.

I imagine at 1.5MB connection you could go on a road trip for the weekend, return and it would still be updating. In fact if you started now it would probably be early February before you could reboot the system. B:(  I reckon I'm spoiled at 360MB connection and I tend to forget how long it takes after issuing the dreaded sudo apt-get upgrade command.

Your original instructions are clear and concise with the exception that Raspbian Stretch is the defacto Raspbian download image and it's important to get Mono 5.4 to ensure you avoid security certificates issues, typically the send email notifications issues.

A lot of newcomers to the Raspberry Pi running Raspbian are terrified at the sight of a Terminal session. With all the cut and paste instructions out there it's virtually impossible to make a mistake. The main thing is to find the correctly typed instructions as one spelling error or the use of a quotation mark front and back of the command sends the system into a spin.

I avoid using quotation marks when I'm supplying command instructions to users so they can do a direct copy paste without editing the command.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2018, 07:53:48 PM »

If you wanted to take the time to update the instructions for Stretch and the RPi3, I'd definitely give them a test drive.  My instructions were compiled from scouring various threads on different forums and trial/error.  I'd assume they are still pretty close, but anything you know is wrong would be appreciated to point out.   >!

HA Dave

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2018, 10:36:43 PM »

After reviewing several sample reads of Kindle books I download the:  Raspberry Pi 3 beginner to pro... by Timothy Short

I am hoping it fills in enough of the "holes" in my Pi/Linux knowledge base I can at least decide where to go next. These little devices have been calling to me for too darn long. I need to learn how to make them work.

A perfect waste of time in a cold Midwestern winter.

HA Dave

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »

Headway with my Pi education moves slowly. I did do some reading... and have learned a lot. Like learning a foreign language.... the Linux roots of Raspbian use different terms for actions similar to what I already know. So... I am still translating in my mind.

Meanwhile...... I am exploring the abilities of what I already own (and use). My Homeseer HS3 unit (which is a Pi) can already do much if not everything I could want to do. Tring to write events (AKA Macros) to replace what I had running in a separate CM15A.

Also adding some lighting protection in areas where I'd neglected that. I also removed ONE of the TWO CM15A's I was using. Added more functionality to my MyQ Garage door app.... to get more notices. All-in-All.... some genuinely serious frustration as I try to fill my head with new stuff while repeatedly failing and making progress only in millimeters (or is that Liters?!?).

I can't think of a better way to waste a winter.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.