Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Should there be alternate means to link app to base unit?

Very Important (I want it ASAP)
- 12 (66.7%)
Useful (I will use it one day)
- 4 (22.2%)
 Neutral (I may use it)
- 1 (5.6%)
Not Very Useful (I probably won't use it)
- 0 (0%)
Unnecessary  (I will never use it)
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alternate Means of Registering App  (Read 5147 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Alternate Means of Registering App
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »

I want to register my unit without using the QR Code. The camera on my phone isn't the best. Please give us another way to connect.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Alternate Means of Registering App
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »

I want to register my unit without using the QR Code. The camera on my phone isn't the best. Please give us another way to connect.

A long numerical code would work. But taking a pic with your tablet... then making it brighter and BIGGER should work (IMHO). 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:22:19 AM »

I had asked for this too, the issue is the QR code is unique to each device it contains a App key# and a UID #
If you had those numbers you could manualy type them in if there was a spot. Many IP cameras have that option.
This would allow users to use the app on a android simulator or Android TV box.
There are QR readers you can get for a PC that will read and display the info. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »

I used the barode reader on my tablet to generate the character string. Just couldn't transfer it to my phone. I eventually got it on my phone by turning on the LED light and holding VERY still.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:50:32 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:29:28 AM »

Your reasoning for the alternate connect method was exactly what I explained to Authinx which forwarded my concern to the developer. This just never got coded in prior to the release as I subited a very long list of what I though were required. Implementing all of them prior to the release would have delayed release at least another few months. Auhinx felt users had waited long enough for this an instead focus was placed on bugs.
Glad to see you finaly got it on yor phone. :)%
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »

If they would include a second copy of the QR code (on a card inside the box, perhaps), that would at least eliminate the need to unplug the unit to scan it each time. If that second copy one were a bit larger, it would make the scanning easier, too.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:02:23 AM »

If they would include a second copy of the QR code (on a card inside the box, perhaps), that would at least eliminate the need to unplug the unit to scan it each time. If that second copy one were a bit larger, it would make the scanning easier, too.

I took a pic of my units QR code.... emailed it to myself. I now have it on my desktop and can make it as large and bright as I wish.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:52 AM »

I took a pic of my units QR code.... emailed it to myself. I now have it on my desktop and can make it as large and bright as I wish.
After seeing your suggestion last night, I did the same thing. But I think it would be simple enough for them to include it with the unit.
Alternatively (or in addition), add a spot in the software where you can pull up the previously registered QR code on the screen, so you can then scan that with the next device.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »

Alternatively (or in addition), add a spot in the software where you can pull up the previously registered QR code on the screen, so you can then scan that with the next device.
I like that option to though if like in Knightriders case your phones camera was not the best or for what ever reason wouldn't work, having a bigger QR code wouldn't help. :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:37:04 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »

I like that option to though if like in Knightriders case your phones camera was not the best or for what ever reason wouldn't work, having a bigger QR code wouldn't help. :(

Me too! Think of the guys out there with large (wall mounted/built-in) touchscreen setups.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »

I would vote for that feature, not as a replacement for manually entering a code, but as a way of easily giving other devices access.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »

This just never got coded in prior to the release as I subited a very long list of what I though were required. Implementing all of them prior to the release would have delayed release at least another few months.
Were they to publish the protocol, while it would not help with this issue, it would relieve the pressure for making software fixes/improvements leaving them to concentrate on hardware/firmware.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:31 PM »

Since the  UID # is the only thing unique in the QR code (that I've seen)
That's all the info that would be require to manually be inputted. If I remember the Airsights have that number printed on the sticker with the QR code.
I put the app on a laptop, scanning the QR code with the laptops camera was a real pain. B:(
It would have been so easy to just type in the number.  ::) :'
But then so would a faster laptop have made it easier. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »

Let me please add my vote "yes".   Either a way to manually enter the App key# and a UID #, or include a 8.5x11 paper copy of the QR in the box.

The camera on my inexpensive (ie, cheap) android tablets I use for my home automation, have a problem focusing on something that small and close-to-the-lens.  It is meant to focus on a human head a few feet away, and doesn't handle close ups of something that is smaller than a postage stamp (can't focus).    Yes, I use these cheap tablets because it isn't all that big of a loss if one gets dropped or sat upon. 

BTW, I have this problem with my GE Connect devices, because they register basically the same way (the app taking a pic of the bar code on the unit).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:18:56 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »

Let me please add my vote "yes". 
Did you vote in the poll at the top of this thread?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.