📱X10 WIFI > 🗯General Discussion

Dusk dawn question

<< < (2/2)

ceedee:

--- Quote from: dave w on August 12, 2018, 04:50:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: arizona480 on August 11, 2018, 11:29:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 24, 2018, 05:14:04 PM ---Yes before or after by up to 30 mins

--- End quote ---

Dusk:  Does -30 mean if the sun sets at 6:00 pm the devices are turned on/off at 5:30 pm?  (+30 6:30 pm)?
Dawn: Does -30 mean if the sun rises at 6:00 am the devices are turned on/off at 5:30 am? (+30 6:30 am) ?

--- End quote ---
It is randomized with the randomizing window; plus or minus, UP TO thirty minutes from the set time, or from the calculated dusk/dawn times.

--- End quote ---
Not sure that I agree with this.  When I set offset times, my lights turn on relative to sunset times.  If I set the offset to -5, the light turns on 5 minutes before sunset...not dusk.  Perhaps I am confused.

BTW, do not mix sunrise/sunset and dusk/dawn terminology. They are completely different.  For instance, civil, nautical, and astronomical dusk times occur AFTER sunset!

dave w:

--- Quote from: ceedee on August 12, 2018, 05:38:47 PM ---Not sure that I agree with this.  When I set offset times, my lights turn on relative to sunset times.  If I set the offset to -5, the light turns on 5 minutes before sunset...not dusk.  Perhaps I am confused.

--- End quote ---
No, I think I am.
ceedee's question implied the offset was exactly 30 minutes (or what was set as the offset). I was trying to clarify that the offset is a randomized amount within the set offset limits. 

ceedee:
My understanding is that any randomization is related to the "security" function.  That said, the "randomness" of the security function leaves much to be desired.  My comments on this are in another thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version