Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you prefer separate ON/OFF buttons in the app?

Yes
- 14 (93.3%)
No
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Seperate Off / On Button  (Read 2054 times)

abxflyr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Seperate Off / On Button
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »

I would like to see the device window have a seperate "ON" and "OFF" button (in addition to what is there, slider +/- ) with the approproiate command.  At present, if your light is on (either manual or another automation source) and you want toggle the unit off you may have to send a on command first depending on what the last position is in the app itself.  Seperate buttons will allow much more flexability, particularly for those of us who use single commands to activate more complex processes peformed by other controllers (i.e. JDTime, HAL, Ocelot, etc.).

I don't know if this should be set up as a poll or not, I wanted to bring it to the attention of those in the know and go from there.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Seperate Off / On Button
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

I would like to see the device window have a separate "ON" and "OFF" button (in addition to what is there, slider +/- ) with the appropriate command.

Ah yes, this is important.  I also have irrigation macros in the Ocelot triggered by particular ON or OFF commands.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Separate Off / On Button
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »

Macro triggering is a big reason to have separate on/off buttons, but I can make a case for a single unified button (which also shows status) for some modules, too. Perhaps adding an option (just like there is one for "is this a lamp?" to ask if this device needs separate on and off buttons.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:14:43 PM by Noam »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 04:08:49 AM »

As I am gaining experience using the WM100, I find that not having separate Off/On buttons is getting to be a major pain. 

OK, its pretty rare that I use the manual override on my plug-in modules.    However, I use the manual override on my wall switch far more often than I use PLC remote control on them.  And even the newest, latest, state-of-the-art, wall switch module, the WS469, doesn't report a change in its status back to the WM100 when the manual push-button is used.

The reality is that what my WM100 thinks is the current state of my wall switch modules, is often down right wrong.   So, the X10 App constantly offers me the wrong power button.   

That's wayyyyyyy toooooo many "wrongs".
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:32 AM »

Having a separate button for on and off would be handy however that won't help the WM100 report status of a module that it doesn't see a PLC signal for.
it would mean not having to press a button twice if the status was wrong. ::) :'
X10 isn't the only HA flavor that has this issue but you'd expect it was.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:06 AM »

Except for maybe one or two. Two Way enabled X10 modules. RR501 comes to mind and the old LM14A and AM14A.
When you change the modules state by a local action. Like a toggle switch change. It sends no power line signals indicating a local change. So the WM100 has no way to know you locally changed it.
If there was a On and Off button in the APP and you know the modules state. That could be a help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.