Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Android device will no longer time out and sleep.  (Read 2683 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Android device will no longer time out and sleep.
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:19:43 PM »

I installed the X10 App on my tablet.  Since it was my second device, it installed pretty smoothly.    After installation, I tried to turn a few lights on an off.   All works.

I sat my tablet down and walked away.

I went back an hour later, and to my great surprise, the screen was still on.   ???

I checked in Settings... Display.   Yep, Sleep is still set to 15 seconds of inactivity.   Closed Settings, and went back to the Home screen.   BTW, the X10 App isn't open in any of this.

Sat my tablet down.   Waiting 5 minutes.  Screen still on.   :(

Went back into Settings... Display.   Changed Sleep to 30 seconds.   Then changed Sleep back to 15 seconds (to reset something?).

Sat my tablet down.   Waited.   Screen still on.   :'(

Is the X10 app playing around with the Sleep settings?    BTW, if I push the button, the screen will manually turn off.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:28:37 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Android device will no longer time out and sleep.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »

Did you try rebooting the tablet to see if the behavior persists?
If you uninstall the app, does the tablet turn the screen off properly again?

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:01:28 AM »

Follow-up:

I tried every trick I know of, and could not get the Sleep Timeout to work again.   That included re-booting (more than once).

I remembered that the X10 App would not be installed in the Guest account.    So, I switched to the Guest account, and sure enough, Sleep Timeout was working as it should. 

I switched back to my own account.   Sleep Timeout was working.    I tested it several times, and it worked each time.

Opened up the X10 App, turn a couple of lights on and off to ensure it was working (it was), and closed the X10 app. 

Sleep Timeout stopped working again.   Clearly, its the X10 App.   :(

Apparently, the X10 App is changing the device's settings (overriding), and not properly restoring them when done/closed.   It also leaves it in a state where the user can't manually restore those settings.   That's bad.   Very bad.   

* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »

Have you uninstalled the app then reinstalled?
Is this an Android tablet?
Which Android version are you running?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:59:14 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »

Have you uninstalled the app then reinstalled?
Is this an Android tablet?
Which Android version are you running?

I think switching users, since Guest doesn't have the X10 App, might do the same (especially since afterward Sleep Timeout starts working until I open the X10 App again).  But, no, I haven't tried actually uninstalling and reinstalling.

Yes, one of the generic 10" Android tablets I use simply for my home automation.

Android 6.0
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:10:08 AM by Walt2 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 06:13:00 AM »

Switching users just force stops apps running in the other account.
I've found a few apps that if you close them they don't actually stop running and you must go into settings and force stop them.
I'm wondering if this is what is going on with the X10WIFI app. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »

On your tablet in settings/apps/ app info  it states it will prevent the device from sleeping.
The version of the app prior to the release the was a bug that if the device went to sleep the app would not reconnect when the device was woke back up.
I don't have the issue with my device not sleeping but I did have the bug of the app not reconnecting.
I wonder if the app is actualy closing (stopping)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »

On your tablet in settings/apps/ app info  it states it will prevent the device from sleeping.

I just check the X10 App info, and it lists only permissions for Camera and Storage.  Nothing about Sleeping. 

BTW, it lists the X10 App is version 2.0.05.

The version of the app prior to the release the was a bug that if the device went to sleep the app would not reconnect when the device was woke back up.
I don't have the issue with my device not sleeping but I did have the bug of the app not reconnecting.
I wonder if the app is actualy closing (stopping)

OK, what I am getting out of this very useful dialog, is that the Sleep Timeout not working is intentional.    There was a reconnect problem when the device came out of Sleep, and the solution chosen by the app developers was to simply and totally disable the Sleeping Timeout. 

I'll accept that this was the lesser of two evils, but in my viewpoint, it is still evil. 

I have several other home automation apps that use an internet connection (WiFi, Cell), and they don't have these types of problems.   So, I think it is reasonable to expect that the X10 App developers find a better fix for their reconnect problem, than to heavy handedly simply disable the Sleep Timeout.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »

I agree or have a way to kill the app so it actually stops(closes).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »

OK, I've playing around with all of this, and stumbled upon something.   Apparently, when I close the X10 App, it simply goes into the background, but is still kind-of running.  I don't know the official name for it, but if I press on the soft button next to the home button, I get a list of all the apps running in the background.   If I swipe over the X10 App, to fully and totally close it, the Sleep Timeout starts to work again.   Maybe this is obvious to some of you, but it wasn't to me.

Not a great requirement, and something I have to start to remember to do, but it certainly makes the X10 App more "livable".   :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:45 AM »

With the latest update it is possible to close (kill) the app using the back button when the device screen is displayed.
It works on my older phone :)% which the battery was getting drained from the app running in the background.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.