Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Re: Dusk dawn (bug)  (Read 9646 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Dusk dawn (bug)
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »

..... Ok, so a failed dust timer again tonight. This was after I disconnect.......

I have 3 sets of X10 lights (that all share the same House/unit code).... that come on at dusk. The reason they share the same setting is to avoid signal collisions. I just wonder... with a system as large as your's (even as expertly put together as I am sure yours setup is) if you might not be having a signal collision. Could you have a dusk timer hidden away on a CM15A somewhere?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:45 AM »

That is a possibility, however, I'm just running 1 CM15 at this stage, and there was no activity from that time frame last night. Plus, the WM100 and CM15 are both polite, and I haven't had a TM751 in service for years. I do still run RR501's but not for much. The only time I used them was to interface the HomeLinc buttons from my car to turn on the porch light.  I got rid of the car, and currently don't have a vehicle with HomeLinc.

UPDATE:  Found the culprit!!!!

Somehow, the Dusk On 5M timer that fires every day of the week got changed from "Repeat Weekly" to "Once".

I have corrected the error, and will have to wait over a week to see if it functions correctly.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Rman1159

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 05:45:11 AM »

My location is correct. The dusk timer comes on exactly one hour late. So I adjusted it to turn on 30 minutes before, which is now 30 minutes after dusk. Glad to know it is a glitch in the software. I did check the history and found that the dusk timer works just one hour later as I stated before. I'm sure there are going to be bugs and they will get worked out. For $100 I'm happy to get all my X10 parts working again.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Re: Dusk dawn (bug)
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »

Whereas... I really am attracted to the idea of living in the boonies in an off-grid "Earthship" made from old tires and shipping containers.
Been thinking same thing. I like the shipping container idea. I'm envious of Tuicemen with his off grid 2nd home, but my boonies will be in a warmer location.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Re: Dusk dawn (bug)
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »

Whereas... I really am attracted to the idea of living in the boonies in an off-grid "Earthship" made from old tires and shipping containers.

Been thinking same thing. I like the shipping container idea. I'm envious of Tuicemen with his off grid 2nd home, but my boonies will be in a warmer location.

I had at one time.... also considered a seaborne retirement lifestyle. 30 years ago.... I used to say with tech advances a person would be able to remain fully connected to the world while sailing nearly anywhere. And today.... the technology is even better than I would have ever imagined. Of course.... 30 years ago... I used to imagine my retirement companion as youthful and bikini-clad. But as I aged.... more and more I imagined myself alone on the boat.

Now, retired, and on wife #3.... with local grandkids... I haven't contemplated any major changes in lifestyle. But I do really like the idea of a little snowbirding. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

Actually, operating systems do not ask for latitude or longitude, they ask for time zone. And most implementation ask for one major city in that TZ, from which they derive TZ,  very simple for most usages.

True, but operating systems typically aren't trying to calculate when sunrise and sunset are.  The formula for that requires your latitude and longitude, not just your timezone.

Yep, that would work for US customers but not outside the US.

Actually it works with Canadian Postal Codes as well.

Just as long as they don't use your IP address to determine your location.  For me, my IP based geolocation is usually off by about 400 km (250 miles) or more, which can change things by over 20 minutes (depending on the date).  I could fix that by paying for a static IP address, but I would rather not have to.

VinRin57

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 02:00:46 AM »

Thought I'd share today's findings:

X10 app was updated for Android (7.1.1), but no iOS update?.

I set dusk/dawn with Samsung/Android tablet (wifi only).

Dusk, Freehold, NJ 5:58p, lights went on at 6:29p.
Dawn, 6:24a, lights out at 7:51a.

I do know that at times, when accessing a website (or even iTunes, etc) that wants access to location, it's way off.. for some odd reason Optimum reports I'm 2 towns over?

Just as an FYI..

Anyone know which device actually seeks out dawn/dusk? If the hub, then nothing I can do.
If the device that's doing the programming, I can try turning off wifi on my cell and using data?

(Tinkering... til the fix is released, and yes, I've also reverted to timer settings, that works too..)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 02:23:53 AM »

Judging from some of the reports I don't think there is a universal work around for this.

I know each time you connect to the HUB the times are compared and a popup displays if they are off.
This morning I wondered if you had two devices one always connected (say a tablet charging) and changed the time in your Phone then connect what would happen?
The Hub would see two different times, how would it determine which to use?
If it uses time from the device that is already connected then you could set the time zone on that device so the dusk dawn timers worked correctly.
Just changing the time zone and keeping the correct time may not cause a Sync time pop up. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Cricket

Dusk & Dawn Settings
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »

I had LOCATION setting set to "Only when using app" on the initial set-up today.
My WM 100 executed my first 2 timed events within 2 minutes of each other perfectly.
However, my FIRST Dusk setting must have been rejected because nothing happened.

I set LOCATION to: Always and I will see if my DAWN settings will work tomorrow.

One more question: Is there a way to save all of my iPhone X-10 settings if my phone somehow gets wiped?
The programming here takes about an hour. Many devices/times. I don't wan to go through that process again.
AHP always had good back-up. Even in serial days.

akeene

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Dusk & Dawn Settings
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 01:46:49 PM »

Stored on the WM100. You can "SYNC" and all will return.
Same with any changes on your phone will "sync" with WM100.
But you will go to setup to SYNC
 >!
Automation is easy.. " I know"  "RIGHT " Just push a button!
Is this the modern we grew up wishing for?
I still drive my 1953 MG TD.

Cricket

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 01:20:04 AM »

I don't think the first DUSK failure was due to LOCATION setting set to "Only when using app" on the initial set-up today.
Why? Because I waited this AM and saw that my real DAWN was one hour BEFORE the program made the DAWN execution. However, it DID make the execution and hour late and the 30 minute DAWN offset timer was off exactly by and hour and a half.

QUESTION: How do I correct this error???

I have been putting up with Daylight Savings time errors for YEARS because Active Home Pro software was ignored for years.

I'm hoping a programmer can FIX THIS PROBLEM ASAP because there is NO EXCUSE for this type of CODE ERROR in 2018.

PLEASE FIX ASAP and also find a way to BACK UP ALL INFORMATION to be reloaded from a different source in case BOTH the iPhone and WM100 are wiped.

And, is the RAM volatile? Why? If I unplug this unit, it should have a capacitor that could back up for weeks. Power loss is no excuse for programming when out of town. I didn't buy into a BETA test. Like I said before...it's 2018, not 1978!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 04:46:58 AM »

You will not lose you data on the Wm with a power failure or un pluging and moving to another outlet. The developer is working on the dusk dawn issue which note everyone is experiencing. That makes it hard to track down.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Cricket

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »

You will not lose you data on the Wm with a power failure or un pluging and moving to another outlet. The developer is working on the dusk dawn issue which note everyone is experiencing. That makes it hard to track down.

Thanks for the quick update. I understand that not all are experiencing. However, I'd like to find out the nadir of the situation before I formulate a work a round.

I am on the cusp of 2 time zones. However, it's at least 100 miles. My DAWN executed ONE FULL hour after sunrise...to the minute.
With AHP, the program did not know when the changeover point was because the USA has gone through a few changeover dates in the 21st century.
I'm assuming the programming is being done in CHINA, therefore there may most likely be a problem with knowing the DST changeover date.

And, speaking of time, I got nailed this AM (only had the item 48 hours) with an AM/PM deviation.

PLEASE CODE FOR A 24 hour clock. This AM/PM for adults is ridiculous. With a 24 hour clock, these errors can't be made.

If X-10 is reading, I had one of of the first IR sensors X-10 made in the early 1980's and spent my time in the 1970's going through dumpsters at Radio Shack.
I've been through every point of this evolutionary automation process and the X10 Wi-Fi is the best thing to ever happen to home automation ON A BUDGET!
But, I still want my lights on my house coming on within +/- one minute of official dawn/dusk. Anything less than that is pure Beta testing by the public.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »

PLEASE CODE FOR A 24 hour clock. This AM/PM for adults is ridiculous. With a 24 hour clock, these errors can't be made.

While I am totally comfortable with a 24 hour clock, I believe most people would prefer AM/PM.  There are very few devices (maybe none) that use a 24 hour clock in a typical home.  I suspect a lot of people would not realize 17:00 meant 5PM.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Cricket

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »

I'm going to use a work around for the DAWN/DUSK problem buy adding a minus 30 to all of the DAWN/DUSK settings.
This will have to suffice until they fix the DST problem on the WM 100. EXACTLY one hour slow of sunrise, sunset.
ALL OTHER TIMERS ARE PERFECT!

BTW to the response above, I had a BSR combo CD/Cassette recorder back in the day. Perfect Cassettes from CD's,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.