Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about the HomeGenie Topics  (Read 9861 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Question about the HomeGenie Topics
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »

https://homegenie.club/t/version-1-1-15-released/199/88   

OK... found your text link.... I take it clicking that link while... running Stretch should download HG and get me running (?).

The script has a header with the first steps.  As I said, basically download Stretch Lite (full might work, but it's not necessary), write card, run acript.  The script installs prerequisites as well as HG.  It isn't final so it may change slightly to improve things, but it worked fine for me 2x.  If you want Gene's version of HG, adjust comments for r526 instead of 1.1.15.

So where do I find Stretch Lite? Is that a part or portion of NOOBS? I can't find a Stretch Lite download anywhere.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »

OK... I followed the link thinking maybe it would lead me to where I could DL the needed Stretch Lite... That I'd DL to my laptop and unpack to a memory card. And I got the very well written list of directions. But it's still way over my head. Things like:
Connect to RPi on port 22
Check your router or use a network sniffer like Fing (Android) to locate the RPi's IP address
# Watch incoming MQTT messages:
# mosquitto_sub -t "#" -v

I have no idea what this stuff means.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »

You need Stretch lite (first link on google):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Download the second one (Raspbian Stretch Lite)

The image is probably compressed, so extract the zip file.  Use Win32DiskImager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/) to write the image to your SD (or microSD) card.

*** If you have a monitor and keyboard connected to RPi, skip this section ***
Navigate to the SD card in Windows and create an empty text file with the file name "SSH".  Remove the card from your PC and insert it into the RPi and power it on.  You need to locate the RPi on your network.  There are various ways to do that so pick the best option for your setup.  Android users can use Fing or similar.  You can also log onto your router and look at the clients (RPi should be obvious).  I'm sure iPhones have something that could do this too, I don't own one so you'll have to find a solution on your own if necessary.

Using a telnet program to connect to the appropriate IP (e.g., 192.168.0.100) on port 22.

*** end skipped section ***

With the script from the link saved to a file on your RPi (e.g., script.sh), execute the script:
Code: [Select]
sh script.sh
When complete, you should have a running installation of HG.  Samba is also setup, so you should be able to access the files on your RPi using the login/password pi/pi.  Please change this if security is a concern.  Mosquitto is installed as well, so you can use MQTT within HG or from Linux.  I may change the script to remove Mosquitto since HG has a MQTT broker available.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »

OK... I followed the link thinking maybe it would lead me to where I could DL the needed Stretch Lite... That I'd DL to my laptop and unpack to a memory card. And I got the very well written list of directions. But it's still way over my head. Things like:
Connect to RPi on port 22
Check your router or use a network sniffer like Fing (Android) to locate the RPi's IP address
# Watch incoming MQTT messages:
# mosquitto_sub -t "#" -v

I have no idea what this stuff means.

HA Dave can you get your hands on an SD card with Raspbian Stretch Lite already installed on it. This may be the easiest route to go. From there one of the helpful contributors on this site could connect remotely to your Raspberry Pi and complete the installation of HomeGenie for you.

This would mean that you have a working installation of HG and could start experimenting. The danger here for you is if you can't get HomeGenie installed you may loose interest. Once everything is working you can then familiarise yourself a little more with the Raspbian operating system.

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

HA Dave can you get your hands on an SD card with Raspbian Stretch Lite already installed on it. This may be the easiest route to go.

I have a spare memory card... and can create (or recreate) NOOBS on the card (I have, and have used the SD card formatter). Then (I would assume I would select Stretch or Stretch Lite when loading the OS(s). Should I also select Raspbian... or is that necessary?

From there one of the helpful contributors on this site could connect remotely to your Raspberry Pi and complete the installation of HomeGenie for you.

I bought (and read) a book about Raspberry Pi 3. It was helpful... but I still have a lot to learn. I am a bit of a hobbyist and a believer of "If you can't fix it... you don't really own it". I'd really like to learn my way around the Pi. I've looked for local classes.

This would mean that you have a working installation of HG and could start experimenting. The danger here for you is if you can't get HomeGenie installed you may loose interest. Once everything is working you can then familiarise yourself a little more with the Raspbian operating system.

My 1st computer was a Vic-20 (Commodore ~ 1981). I built my first Windows box with parts from a computer show (1995). I've been using X10 products since about 2003. I don't tend to loose interest. I would NOT object to a pre-loaded Home Automation SD card or a specialized Home Genie Download. But I also feel compelled to learn this.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 04:12:11 PM »

You need Stretch lite (first link on google):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Download the second one (Raspbian Stretch Lite)

The image is probably compressed, so extract the zip file.  Use Win32DiskImager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/) to write the image to your SD (or microSD) card.

OK. I had already DL'ed (and used) Win32DiskImager... so this part isn't a problem. I've already downloaded the zip file to my laptop and will unpack it to the SD card.

*** If you have a monitor and keyboard connected to RPi, skip this section ***
Navigate to the SD card in Windows and create an empty text file with the file name "SSH".  Remove the card from your PC and insert it into the RPi and power it on.  You need to locate the RPi on your network.  There are various ways to do that so pick the best option for your setup.  Android users can use Fing or similar.  You can also log onto your router and look at the clients (RPi should be obvious).  I'm sure iPhones have something that could do this too, I don't own one so you'll have to find a solution on your own if necessary.

Using a telnet program to connect to the appropriate IP (e.g., 192.168.0.100) on port 22.

*** end skipped section ***

Thank God... I could skip that. I have my Pi setup on the 42" TV in my Man Cave. I have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for it too.

With the script from the link saved to a file on your RPi (e.g., script.sh), execute the script:
"sh script.sh"

So.... what does this mean? Do I create a file (somewhere) on the PI and name the file sh? I don't understand the entire part in bold.

When complete, you should have a running installation of HG.  Samba is also setup, so you should be able to access the files on your RPi using the login/password pi/pi.  Please change this if security is a concern. Mosquitto is installed as well, so you can use MQTT within HG or from Linux.  I may change the script to remove Mosquitto since HG has a MQTT broker available.

New terms to me... but I know how to google.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:18:29 PM by HA Dave »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »

HA Dave can you get your hands on an SD card with Raspbian Stretch Lite already installed on it. This may be the easiest route to go.

I have a spare memory card... and can create (or recreate) NOOBS on the card (I have, and have used the SD card formatter). Then (I would assume I would select Stretch or Stretch Lite when loading the OS(s). Should I also select Raspbian... or is that necessary?

From there one of the helpful contributors on this site could connect remotely to your Raspberry Pi and complete the installation of HomeGenie for you.

I bought (and read) a book about Raspberry Pi 3. It was helpful... but I still have a lot to learn. I am a bit of a hobbyist and a believer of "If you can't fix it... you don't really own it". I'd really like to learn my way around the Pi. I've looked for local classes.

My 1st computer was a Vic-20 (Commodore ~ 1981). I built my first Windows box with parts from a computer show (1995). I've been using X10 products since about 2003. I don't tend to loose interest. I would NOT object to a pre-loaded Home Automation SD card or a specialized Home Genie Download. But I also feel compelled to learn this.

I think you will be probably be more comfortable with a GUI so I suggest you select the single item Raspbian(recommended) full desktop from the menu and let the Pi do it's business. When it has completed it will reboot and you will be presented with the GUI Pixel which has a familiar Windows feel to it.

Have a go at that and report back.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 04:33:01 AM »

Using the full install of Raspbian is ok, it's just not necessary.  There are surely lots of people who have the full version with the GUI installed and use it headless (without a keyboard/monitor).  I indicated the lite version because it's what I'm using and I know it works.  I see no reason the GUI version wouldn't also work though.

If you use the full version with the GUI, you can navigate to the link I provided where the script is and save the script to your RPi (your home directory is probably easiest).  With a terminal window, you need to navigate to the location you saved the script.  Then run "sh script.sh".

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 05:13:05 AM »

...... navigate to the link I provided where the script is and save the script to your RPi (your home directory is probably easiest).  With a terminal window, you need to navigate to the location you saved the script.  Then run "sh script.sh".

Tried... what am I doing wrong?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »

...... navigate to the link I provided where the script is and save the script to your RPi (your home directory is probably easiest).  With a terminal window, you need to navigate to the location you saved the script.  Then run "sh script.sh".

Tried... what am I doing wrong?

Ok from the screen shot it looks like you have Raspbian Lite on your Pi now. I'll let Bkenobi guide you from here. I dont want to cause you any confusion.

I'm assuming you have already downloaded his script to install HomeGenie because the system cannot find it from the path you provided.

Read his original post carefully, copy and paste the commands he provides and it should install for you.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 03:32:16 AM »

I don't think that command will work.  I'll discuss that after what you should be doing.

cd ~
ls -ltr
sh script.sh

The first command changes to your home directory.  "~" is a shortcut to "/home/pi" which is user pi's home directory).  I would recommend putting the script in your home directory, but if you want to put it in that download path, just change "~" to "/home/pi/Downloads/2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite/".

The second command will list all files in that location.  Assuming "script.sh" is there, move on to the next line.

The last line executes the script using the program "sh".

Your command:
/home/pi/Downloads/2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite/sh script.sh
Breaking that down, you have the first part:
/home/pi/Downloads/2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite/sh
That command runs the program "sh" from the "/home/pi/Downloads/2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite/" path.  If it's located there, you should be fine.  However, the error you see tells you that Linux could not locate a file or directory named "sh" in that location.

Second, you are asking that program to use "script.sh" as a command line argument.  "sh" will run a script that is on the command line, so as long as it can locate the file.  I think the command that you should have run without any other information would have been:
sh /home/pi/Downloads/2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite/script.sh
There's lots of ways to do anything, so this command or my other recommendation should both do the same thing.  The difference is where the script executes from.  If you are in a protected location (e.g., "/" which is the root of the file system), you may have errors when you download files via the script.  In any case, give it a try and report back!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.