🖥️ActiveHome Pro > ActiveHome Pro General

On-line Ahx files and mcaro creation?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on February 08, 2018, 08:17:02 AM ---I said that because I doubt the WM 100 has enough memory to store "if/and" macros

--- End quote ---
Originally the WM100 was to have much more memory then the CM15( not sure if that is still the case with the device limitations) B:( ::) :'
I thought about the protocol the other night and with the WM100 having upgradable firmware each time it is upgraded the protocol would change (some what).
Unlike the CM11 and CM15 they were stuck with a fixed firmware.
The CM15 never did release a protocol and the SDK took over a year to be released and only updated once.
I'm still confident we'll see the WM100 protocol but I don't expect it till the App has grown considerably.

As for the CM15 code I believe a good bit of it was lost as pieces of it were on different servers.
I'm unsure if Authinx still has someone trying to put humpty dumpty back together.
X10 WTI never updated the code to work with newer development platform versions so many of the required DLLs have been deemed obsolete and hard if not impossible to find. Remember AHP was built for Windows 98.
Sure Plugins were added afterwards expanding on the code but the same old development platform was used. B:(

dave w:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on February 08, 2018, 07:00:31 AM ---However, at this point, there is no reason that a new AHP lite can't be written at this point that runs strictly off the computer (or Pi) that uses the Wilie 100 .....

--- End quote ---
Knight, you know that nick name is going to stick. I like it "The Willie 100".

lviper:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on February 08, 2018, 08:11:10 AM ---
Why must future HA users own either a PC or Pi.... or android or apple for that matter. More and more people are/have switched to those fancy little portable "transistor radios" they carry around in their hands.

No wait a minute.... those are phones. And people are abandoning home PC's for nice big phones. Macros software (like Alexa's) should be assessable using phones or PC's. Those CM15A's have lots of life and function still left in them.

--- End quote ---

What you describe here and in your first post is basically SmartThings. It is currently all cloud based with the exception of a local hub. You program it from your phone or tablet in the cloud. The hub is controlled from the cloud. And that is essentially the main problem with SmartThings. If your internet goes down, so does all your automation and remote control.

I have an Nvidia Shield TV and took advantage of the promo to get the link hub and 2 smart bulbs. The link hub turns my Shield TV in to a SmartThings hub. Anyway, I've had it for maybe 2 months now and while my internet has not gone down, SmartThings Cloud has. In fact it has gone down 3 times for several hours each time in the past 2 months.

But I feel what you're saying. I too want to get away from running a PC 24/7 which is why I'm looking in to the Rpi device as you are currently doing. Smaller device and a lot less energy. But if all I needed was a local hub such as a CM15a that is programmed via the cloud and could locally do everything without a PC running 24/7, that would be great.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: lviper on February 09, 2018, 03:22:02 AM ---What you describe here and in your first post is basically SmartThings. It is currently all cloud based with the exception of a local hub......
--- End quote ---

Yep. I am basically PRO-cloud. We tend to have mixed feelings about the cloud here at the forum.

--- Quote from: lviper on February 09, 2018, 03:22:02 AM ---If your internet goes down, so does all your automation and remote control. 
--- End quote ---

Every setup has it's flaws and weak points. But good automation (IMHO) recognizes inherent problems and seeks to mitigate the problems. The very nature of HA is cutting edge technology. If we're happy with standard [yesterdays] tech..... then every home in America already has that.

--- Quote from: lviper on February 09, 2018, 03:22:02 AM ---I have an Nvidia Shield TV and took advantage of the promo to get the link hub and 2 smart bulbs. The link hub turns my Shield TV in to a SmartThings hub.....

...But I feel what you're saying. I too want to get away from running a PC 24/7
--- End quote ---

I currently have a conglomerate of various hubs and devices. I've all but turned my home into an automation experiment. One such experiment has been shutting down the HA PC. But.... other things I want/have... like phone notifications and remote [phone] video camera viewing... are completely dependent on Internet servers. As a Home Automation hobbyist..... this is an excellent, maybe even golden era. 

I really think this InterWebSuperHighWay thingy.... is going to catch on.

Knightrider:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on February 08, 2018, 08:55:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Knightrider on February 08, 2018, 08:17:02 AM ---I said that because I doubt the WM 100 has enough memory to store "if/and" macros

--- End quote ---
Originally the WM100 was to have much more memory then the CM15( not sure if that is still the case with the device limitations) B:( ::) :'

--- End quote ---

How much memory does it need? If we know it doesn't work without the Internet (cloud based), does it even store devices and timers locally? Could the 32 device limit be on the back end? Here's a test. Set a timer and see if it runs with the Internet disconnected.

HA Dave could be on to something here. The AHX could run on the back end. The only thing missing now it the RF.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version