Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use latitude and longitude to calculate dusk/dawn times  (Read 1730 times)

BruceC

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Use latitude and longitude to calculate dusk/dawn times
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:30:24 AM »

My  number one wish is that the X10 WiFi recover automatically from a blackout. If it syncs time with the internet it is almost there. The hub needs to know where it is to calculate the dusk and dawn times...

My request is that we enter the hub’s latitude and longitude during setup/installation. It is then “easy” to calculate the dusk and dawn times algorithmically once the date is known. No need to re sync with phone or tablet after a blackout.

(IMHO, using zip codes as input for calculating the local dusk/dawn times is not practical. Difficult to write algorithm, and does not solve the problem outside the USA.)

Is the latitude and longitude information already available to the hub now when it syncs up with the phone or tablet? If it saves it in non-volatile memory, then there is no need for this request.  :)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Use latitude and longitude to calculate dusk/dawn times
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »

There are a few quirky little places that do not follow DST rules. At least a zip code could check a DB to find out.
I think referencing a TinyWebDB would be easier than an algorithm with several exceptions.

As of now, Canadian postal codes also work.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »

(IMHO, using zip codes as input for calculating the local dusk/dawn times is not practical. Difficult to write algorithm, and does not solve the problem outside the USA.)

I suspect most people don't know their GPS coordinates, but virtually everyone who installs the WM100 would know their zip code.  There are on-line tools and look-up tables that convert zip codes to GPS coordinates.  I downloaded one myself.  There might be something like that for Canada too.  Since the WM100 has a 120V plug, that is pretty much just for North America.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »

latlong.net is a nice one or just click a point on Google Maps and it'll pop up. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.