yes more then one
- 3 (12.5%)
yes only one
- 16 (66.7%)
no
- 5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Server down?  (Read 4877 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Server down?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »

Does anyone know how many of these units have been sold or how many forum members own one. I'd imagine the time for talking is done and serious questions need to be answered.

Of the owners who contacted the supplier directly how many feel they have received satisfactory assurances that the product is fit for purpose or what the supplier intends to seriously do to ensure that it will be.

The 3rd party server arrangement for full functionality is clearly not working.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »

Does anyone know how many of these units have been sold or how many forum members own one. I'd imagine the time for talking is done and serious questions need to be answered.

Of the owners who contacted the supplier directly how many feel they have received satisfactory assurances that the product is fit for purpose or what the supplier intends to seriously do to ensure that it will be.

A poll could be created to determine how many forum members have a unit but polls seldom get the input that is expected.
I assume with Trumps tariffs on China goods the WM100 and other HA devices is about to jump in price as Authinx can't absorb that. This combined with server issues may literally stop sales of it.
I fired off a email trying to figure out what may have caused this last outage. It may have been due to maintenance as I know different methods of handling time issues are being looked at. As well the server would need to be updated for any adds but this shouldn't cause lengthy outages.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »

A poll could be created to determine how many forum members have a unit but polls seldom get the input that is expected.
I assume with Trumps tariffs on China goods the WM100 and other HA devices is about to jump in price as Authinx can't absorb that. This combined with server issues may literally stop sales of it.
I fired off a email trying to figure out what may have caused this last outage. It may have been due to maintenance as I know different methods of handling time issues are being looked at. As well the server would need to be updated for any adds but this shouldn't cause lengthy outages.

Yes a poll would make most sense. In this case I think disaffected owners would be only too glad to participate. They've clearly expressed their dissatisfaction with the WM100 and it's unfulfilled promises. The queue to pre order was big enough so I imagine the complaints would be comparable.

I did mention the tarrif situation in an earlier post so this might be the ideal excuse for Authinx to exit the project in its current format, consult with experienced X10 users/developers as you have on this forum and produce a product based on needs and not on ideals.

The server situation is just not acceptable in this day and age. Bad enough that it is falling over but not having a means of notifying owners when this happens beggars belief. For anyone who is truly depending on its operability it's become unreliable and undependable. Surely they have a fallback server in place which can switched over in the event of outage. Surely this would be least anyone would have in place when they offer a 3rd party service.

Can you imagine paying for a top of the range car with a faulty battery and crossing your fingers every morning and hoping it starts but being promised that a suitable replacement is in the pipeline. I know what the reaction of the majority of members would be in this case.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »

I added a poll to this thread  to get a rough Idea of users with or without one.
I also got word back from Authinx on the server status which wasn't planed they stated they would issue an advanced notice of this happening.
Also they plan on adding a server status info banner of some sort on their support web page. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »

I added a poll to this thread  to get a rough Idea of users with or without one.
I also got word back from Authinx on the server status which wasn't planed they stated they would issue an advanced notice of this happening.
Also they plan on adding a server status info banner of some sort on their support web page. >!

That's a little more positive news. Being proactive rather than reactive generally wins hearts and minds.

Maybe if you add the question "Are you satisfied with your purchase" might flesh out the situation a little more

whstoneman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »

Through all of this I did learn one lesson.  I didn't realize that we had a "server" to operate this system.  When MY unit stopped working, I assumed it was equipment failure on my end.  I tried to reinstall and that didn't work.....wouldn't connect.  Now I know that I just need to be patient until the "server" is up and running again.  Once it is running, everything works great again.    I still don't understand why we need this server. 

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »

Through all of this I did learn one lesson.  I didn't realize that we had a "server" to operate this system.  When MY unit stopped working, I assumed it was equipment failure on my end.  I tried to reinstall and that didn't work.....wouldn't connect.  Now I know that I just need to be patient until the "server" is up and running again.  Once it is running, everything works great again.    I still don't understand why we need this server.

Servers are typically used for remote access.  However, they’re not needed for apps that support local access. For instance, I can control my WiFi bulbs locally (default), and active remote access (by device) in the app if I want to control them outside my home network. It can be done.  It has been done.  So, I too assumed that remote access was not required for "local" use.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »

I responded to the poll, but depending on the context, my vote may not matter.  (If there had been a "Yeah, I bought one but never use that s$#%" option, I'd have selected that. ;))

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »

What is the addy for their support page?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »

See the Server Outage Log thread
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30495.0
Knightridger updated the OP to include that link.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.