Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi  (Read 37400 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:02:03 AM »

I'll admit it I'm a dummy when it comes to all things Pi related.
There are several things I wish to do with this and most are X10 related.
I've setup a section on my forum for Pis which may or may not help others but I'm looking for help from the X10 Pi experts here.
I planned to have my WM100 handle most X10 things eventualy however I recently bricked mine (WM100 not pi)
A new WM100 is on the way. now back in operation
I currently use the Homegenie software on my Pi and mostlikely will stick with that.
So any help one can offer with a HG + Pi setup is welcomed.
I currently can
1- Turn on/off devices and control them with a timer
2- Utilize Alexa voice commands for on & off as well as AllLightsOn/Off
3- Turn off/or on devices at dusk or dawn and with off sets and between specific dates
4- Connect remotely
5- See security door/window & motion sensors and display their status
6- Display all IP cameras
7- Create simple macros
8- Arm/Disarm security in HG with x10 security key flob or Alexa
9- Arm/disarm security console from HG
10- Turn my IP PT cameras to the location of a door window sensor trip
11- E-mail camera pictures
12- Auto send pictures from all IP cameras on a security alarm trip
13- Stream videos/movies/TV content
14- send sound notifications if a module is tripped (security or other)
15- turn on/off things based on weather conditions
16-send email or text notification on the activation of any Device configured in HG

What I'd like to do but have yet to figure out is:
1- Trigger a voice (sound) notification (not important)
done
2- Although I don't dim to often it would be nice to do this with Alexa and ha-bridge (not important) done
3- Incorporate into a Smart mirror possibly with a client Pi
4- Connect a Kinects 360 and view it in HG like a web cam ( I suspect the pi would not handle gestures and such) done though pic quality was not up to pare.

As I get more into this I may wish to do more or less which also depends on the WM100 wi-fi app development.
My WM100 replacement is in operation but I only use it for remote control over the internet which I could do with HG so the WM100s days are numbered.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:00:48 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »

I've setup a section on my forum for Pis which may or may not help others but I'm looking for help from the X10 Pi experts here.
I plan to have my WM100 handle most X10 things eventualy however I recently bricked mine (WM100 not pi)
A new WM100 is on the way.
I currently use the Homegenie software on my Pi and mostlikely will stick with that.
I currently can
1- turn on/off devices and control them with a timer
2- utilize Alexa voice commands for on & off
3- turn off/or on devices between dusk and dawn
4- connect remotely
5- see security door/window & motion sensors and display their status

1- to display IP camera feeds in a wijit ( I can pull up the display using a shortcut)
2- turn devices on or off at exactly dusk or dawn
3- trigger a voice (sound) notification
4- Arm/Disarm a x10 security console
5- create simple macros ( tripped by security sensor or other x10 signals)

As I get more into this I may wish to do more or less which also depends on the WM100 wi-fi app developement.

As soon as I'm back home I'll help as much as I can. In the meantime Bkenobi has plenty of knowledge in this area and I'm sure he could help you too.

I'm assuming you've settled on Version .526 of Homegenie just to ensure we are "singing off the same hymn sheet"  :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »

Thanks yep running Version .526
I thought I had the on exactly at dusk dawn figured out as well but it looks like that was not the case B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »

I'm not sure how you're going to tackle a macro triggered by a security sensor. IIRC the SDK didn't have command structure for the MS/DS RF.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »

HG sees security RF I have all security doors/windows and motion sensors displaying their status so It should be possible.
However I suspect some extra package may need to be downloaded or maybe even created.
Triggering something on a security module trip is not on the top of my wish anyways.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »

This is tidings indeed. Looks like HG on a small Pi is a good thing.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »

I plan to have my WM100 handle most X10 things eventualy however I recently bricked mine (WM100 not pi)
A new WM100 is on the way.
I currently can
1- turn on/off devices and control them with a timer
2- utilize Alexa voice commands for on & off
3- turn off/or on devices between dusk and dawn
4- connect remotely
5- see security door/window & motion sensors and display their status

1- to display IP camera feeds in a wijit ( I can pull up the display using a shortcut)
2- turn devices on or off at exactly dusk or dawn
3- trigger a voice (sound) notification
4- Arm/Disarm a x10 security console
5- create simple macros ( tripped by security sensor or other x10 signals)

As I get more into this I may wish to do more or less which also depends on the WM100 wi-fi app developement.

While you're waiting for specific replies on your requirements check this link and see how comfortable you feel with it. http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/index620a.html?topic=1530.0

There's a lot of answers to the queries you may have on this forum but unfortunately as its archived you will need to manually search through the different sections

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:40:11 PM »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »

And finally for the moment another Indepth discussion on X10 http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/indexb238.html?topic=1341.0

Just fire off any specific queries you have as and when you progress through your setup.

petera

• PI Expert

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »

As far as using X10 security modules to trigger actions, as long as HG sees the event, you certainly can trigger off of it though how easy/difficult that is depends on what your action will be.

If all you want to do is turn on a module when a security sensor (motion, door/window, etc) is triggered, you can do that easily with a wizard script.  I'm not that familiar with these, but they work very similar to the AHP coding scheme where you simply select the trigger and insert the action(s) to perform in a list.  I have used these for very simple things but it's not generally how I have things set up.

If you want to do something more complex, the world is your oyster!  All you need to know is one of the available coding languages (C#, perl, etc).  I learned C# well enough to build my code and it works very well.  If you go that route, I highly recommend looking at the available example code and using the programming/api guide on the HG web site.  It's very good overall.

You can also record macros for playback.  I believe these are wizard script format so that may be a quick way to get going.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »

Tuicemen have you gotten any further with your list on Raspberry Pi and Homegenie. Have you managed to get the cameras widget working now. As far as I can remember the x10 security console uses an extended set of x10 commands which Homegenie may not be able to pick up on. May not be able to arm/disarm the control panel remotely as a result. Makes sense for security reasons I suppose.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »

I've not gotten any further with the Camera widget I can't seem to pull that into a group so I figure I've missed something or corrupt something in my playing around so I'm going to load a new image.
It seems each time I do that I get a bit farther along.
The arm/disarm my security is low on the list but I can do this via Alex and the Broadlink RM  via HA-Bridge.
I suspect HG could send the command to HA-Bridge which would then send to the Broadlink Kind of a long way about doing things.
I really only need to arm remotely, doesn't make sense to disarm if no one is home.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »

I've not gotten any further with the Camera widget I can't seem to pull that into a group so I figure I've missed something or corrupt something in my playing around so I'm going to load a new image.
It seems each time I do that I get a bit farther along.
The arm/disarm my security is low on the list but I can do this via Alex and the Broadlink RM  via HA-Bridge.
I suspect HG could send the command to HA-Bridge which would then send to the Broadlink Kind of a long way about doing things.
I really only need to arm remotely, doesn't make sense to disarm if no one is home.

When you select the Widget option, Select Generic Ip Camera widget and when it opens with the html code displayed you should see a little blue box with a drop down menu. Click on that and bind it to the Generic Ip camera option. You can then configure the widget to include your cameras snapshot URL which you can easily find at the iSpy web site.

Just a little tip. You're probably doing this anyway. As soon as you get a working setup each time just image the SD card so if your break your system it's just an unattended reimage each time.

Hopefully by the time you get to where you need to be you can have your x10 console inform the Homegenie Alarm Program of an alarm condition and as soon as a light is switched on, your cameras will take a number of photos from each camera, email you those photos informing you exactly what sensor was triggered.

When you return to setting up your camera widget let us know and I can give you any help you need.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »

When you select the Widget option, Select Generic Ip Camera widget and when it opens with the html code displayed you should see a little blue box with a drop down menu. Click on that and bind it to the Generic Ip camera option. You can then configure the widget to include your cameras snapshot URL which you can easily find at the iSpy web site.
binding doesn't give the option for Generic Ip camera. but I did manage to get the widget to pull over to a group :)%
I just need to configure the camera
Just a little tip. You're probably doing this anyway. As soon as you get a working setup each time just image the SD card so if your break your system it's just an unattended reimage each time.
Actually it is better & faster just to back up/and restore HG configuration and data files if just working with HG.
Hopefully by the time you get to where you need to be you can have your x10 console inform the Homegenie Alarm Program of an alarm condition and as soon as a light is switched on, your cameras will take a number of photos from each camera, email you those photos informing you exactly what sensor was triggered.
That would be cool, I have indoor and out door PTZ cameras so hopefully I can pan to that sensor  and zoom in as well.

When you return to setting up your camera widget let us know and I can give you any help you need.
will do!  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.