Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Linux unattended-upgrades  (Read 2702 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Linux unattended-upgrades
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »

So I seen this (unattended-upgrades) while looking into ways to auto update upgrade my off grid PI X10 setup
It looks as though you can set a few different upgrade options and even email you.
Just wondering if any of the Linux users have played with this, it seems to have been around for some time.
Setting up the email part seems a bit over my head though.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Linux unattended-upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »

Really aimed at the commercial sector.We use it with RHEL and deploy Kickstart to do all the necessary installations and upgrades at multiple sites at the same time. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server Edition also deploys it.Yes I'm sure you could deploy it too.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:24:27 AM »

ya seen mention of a few using it with Pi boards. The script is easy enough to figure out and looks real interesting. I just have to figure out the email part which is handed off to mailx it looks like.
This will realy come in handy at the off grid place where my Pi sits running away for months till I remember to check it.  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »

Really aimed at the commercial sector.
It looks like your right!
So I've been reading up a bit more and apparently Raspbian comes with a simpler version of this included, and has since Stretch. This comes activated by default. To check if your system has this type:
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl status apt-daily-upgrade.timer from the cli. I checked this on my Stretch pi and it is loaded and waiting and last run yesterday.
I've not checked my other Pis as yet but with many moving to Buster running HG it may be best to disable this for now to avoid HG getting corrupt.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »

So I just checked my Pi running Buster and that service doesn't  exist so now I'm wondering if it has been renamed to something else ::) :'
I'm doing things on my phone so I may be missing something but there are 5 systemctl timers running on Buster.
Interestingly this service is on my Bullseye (alfa) Linux mini PC  :o ::) :'
It is enabled and waiting and shows last time it ran.
Now I'm even more confused :-\
Update: looks like I needed another cup of coffee my Buster system does indeed have the apt-daily-upgrade.timer service

Digging even deeper I discovered the apt-daily-upgrade.timer is a required service for the unattended-upgrades to work. It appears that the apt-daily-upgrade.timer is just a timer it doesn't realy do a update or upgrade. ::) :'
So there is no need for HG users to disable it other then to maybe speed up HG a micro second. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.