Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ESP8266 or ESP32 Wifi enabled boards & HA  (Read 11456 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
Re: ESP8266 or ESP32 Wifi enabled boards & HA
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »

I just bit the bullet to assemble another batch of XTB-232's for those who had been asking for one.  They will be available soon.  But I believe a good match would be using the XTB-232 back end for a XTB-USB or XTB-WiFi interface.  The XTB-232 uses the CM11A real-time protocol, and supports all standard and extended X10 commands.  So replacing the serial port interface with a USB or WiFi interface seems like something to pursue.

Jeff

There’s definitely no keeping a good man down  :)% From all reports X10 is screwed as a technology without you.

There is also another batch of the XTB-ANR in the works, but I have to first finish converting the firmware for a newer PIC.  It runs at a faster clock, and will have a tighter window to recognize X10 transmissions.  They should be available in about 2 weeks.

There are now fewer than 2 dozen XTB-IIR/+ left, and they will be discontinued unless someone else does the assembly.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »

I just bit the bullet to assemble another batch of XTB-232's for those who had been asking for one.  They will be available soon.  But I believe a good match would be using the XTB-232 back end for a XTB-USB or XTB-WiFi interface.  The XTB-232 uses the CM11A real-time protocol, and supports all standard and extended X10 commands.  So replacing the serial port interface with a USB or WiFi interface seems like something to pursue.

Jeff

There’s definitely no keeping a good man down  :)% From all reports X10 is screwed as a technology without you.

There is also another batch of the XTB-ANR in the works, but I have to first finish converting the firmware for a newer PIC.  It runs at a faster clock, and will have a tighter window to recognize X10 transmissions.  They should be available in about 2 weeks.

There are now fewer than 2 dozen XTB-IIR/+ left, and they will be discontinued unless someone else does the assembly.

Jeff

Jeff I cannot believe nobody here has taken up your offer. I’d jump at the chance but unfortunately I’m in the 220v 433mhz world.

By any chance have you mentioned this over on the well established HomeSeer forum in the X10 section with Mark Fisher. You have many satisfied customers of many years standing over there, as no doubt you probably already know and maybe someone there might see the benefit of a very generous offer like yours.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 03:19:27 PM »

The D1 mini shield I'm working on is designed to stack beneath a D1 mini. Together that provides both WiFi and USB interfaces plus battery backed RTC and X10RF options. The only issue I see at this time is that the D1 mini does not bring out RI on the CH340G USB/Serial chip.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 03:28:23 PM »

By any chance have you mentioned this over on the well established HomeSeer forum in the X10 section with Mark Fisher. You have many satisfied customers of many years standing over there, as no doubt you probably already know and maybe someone there might see the benefit of a very generous offer like yours.

No, I haven't posted on the HomeSeer forum.  But it would be great if you would let people know there.

Jeff

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 03:33:35 PM »

The D1 mini shield I'm working on is designed to stack beneath a D1 mini. Together that provides both WiFi and USB interfaces plus battery backed RTC and X10RF options. The only issue I see at this time is that the D1 mini does not bring out RI on the CH340G USB/Serial chip.

The RI is needed by the CM11A protocol as that initiates the handshaking process with the PC.

Jeff

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 08:00:30 PM »

The RI is needed by the CM11A protocol as that initiates the handshaking process with the PC.

Jeff

Well then your reputation precedes you. I’ll certainly mention it to Mark Fisher, a very knowledgeable X10 individual who maintains the X10 plugins there. There’s been many a favourable comment on your products there along the lines.....Only for JVDE I’d have packed in X10 years ago. In fact here is one of many posts mentioning your product https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/lighting-primary-technology-plug-ins/lighting-primary-technology-discussion/x10-homeseer/1413811-rtb232-not-functioning-with-hs4 I believe all your products work very nicely with HomeSeer.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »

Update:  Both the XTB-232 and XTB-ANR with the new PIC are available again.

Jeff

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »

Actually, it operates at a much lower level. PCs that came with Serial Ports had a WAKE ON RING setting in the BIOS but how to set this varies with PC brands, firmware, etc. And, it gets even more complicated with USB.

There is also a WAKE ON LAN setting and it should be possible to use this with a WeMos/LoLin D1 mini by sending WiFi to the PC when the CM11A or XTB-232 sends RI to the D1 mini, eliminating the need to send RI to the PC.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-beginners,1126-8.html

Another solution might be to just use the ample Flash memory of the D1 mini to store macros/timers, eliminating any need to wake the PC.

I'm not going to pursue this further because my health severely limits what I can do these days. However, if someone younger and healthier were to pursue the WAKE ON LAN or Flash solutions it could be a way to convert a CM11A or XTB-232 from serial to USB & WiFi for less than $5.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32529101036.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_2559240.pic_2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:41:05 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.