Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi  (Read 37414 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »

You probably could  but what fun would that be?
I also don't have an Amazon/Fire TV.

Some people think buying the complete project is fun.

Sure yeah.... I understand. I also use/belong to the instructables Web Site a community for people who like to make things. I like to make things myself. I've just never thought of trying to make things.... the hard way.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »

I believe I've seen many places post examples of magic mirrors.  I don't know if one was on Instructables or not, but seems likely.  I wouldn't say using a RPi to build a project would be classified as the hard way though.  I also wouldn't say placing a 2-way mirror over a TV makes it a magic mirror but it certainly would look close to some of the projects I've seen.  It wouldn't be the least work put into a project I've ever seen!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »

I believe I've seen many places post examples of magic mirrors.

Back a few years ago.... people would place a monitor behind a 2-way mirror. Then hard wire a PC (generally concealed in a nearby closet/basement/attic) and a microphone. The PC would use a speech to text software.... you get the idea.

A tiny Raspberry Pi would be easier than an old fashion PC tower.

But a small Amazon-Fire TV (running Alexa) taped behind the mirror..... and DONE. Easy peasy.

Back in the old days (LOL).... we used to dream (fantasize) about things like touch-screen controls at doorways (for automation control) when we'd enter a room. Remember... everything (in the automation world) used to be "push button", a timer, or occasionally a motion sensor.

It's hard to give up on those old ideas. I built a HAL9000 panel not that long ago. I even experimented... and considered wiring it up... to work with a CM15A equipped PC. Then I thought about mounting an Echo inside it. In the end.... I hung it on my (Man-Cave) wall to just enjoy as a prop.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:34:28 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.