Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding a mains switch to my air rework station  (Read 2105 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Adding a mains switch to my air rework station
« on: May 08, 2018, 04:26:56 AM »

I just purchased an air rework station after a LOT of hemming and hawwing and a ton of research.  After removing it from the box, the first thing I did was open the case to make sure it was wired safely.  It is, but for some reason the mfg didn't install the mains switch on the back which was pretty critical in my decision to buy this unit.

I plan on installing a switch, but I'm not sure what terms to use in sourcing the switch.  The case has the hole cut out but they put a sticker over it.  I'm jus looking for a switch (maybe luminated) that will fit in the hole and only require wiring in.

The model is 862D+.  Here's an Hack-a-day article that covers what I'm doing but the second half isn't included (the part with the switch install).

https://hackaday.io/project/116454-testing-and-adding-a-switch-to-862d-station

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Adding a mains switch to my air rework station
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »

I just purchased an air rework station........ the mfg didn't install the mains switch.

....The case has the hole cut out but they put a sticker over it.  I'm jus looking for a switch The model is 862D+.

I'd forget the hack-a-day (for now). Just call and/or email the manufacture and tell them you'd like to buy the switch that fits the hole (they stickered-over).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »

Chinese manufacturers are not exactly centralized it appears.  I heard back from the seller and was told the design was changed and it is that way now.  I can probably get a return, but since it would be difficult to determine if a different seller had the slight variant I want without opening the package prior to shipping, it seems that adding the switch would be easiest.  I will ask them to see if they know what switch model number is needed, but I'm sure the seller is just that and not involved with the design.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »

Although I purchased what I thought was a Yihua 862D+, it's possible that the actual model was a clone.  There are so many of these, it's impossible to guarantee it's an original model until it's delivered.  On the OEM site, it still shows that the switch is included.  Perhaps I can glean a part number from them somehow.

http://www.yihua-gz.com/Products_detail.asp?id=255&sortid=266

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »

While searching for information on the switch, I ran across this picture of my exact setup in the same layout.  I think it will work really nice once I consider it safe.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »

Give me the dimensions on the switch. I have a collectiin. I'm guessing it's SPST.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »

I pulled the sticker off and measured.  I checked my parts bin and found its actually a standard rectangular panel mount SPST which I have one of.  The unit is 6A max and the spare is 9A, so I'm good.  what minimum gage wire is needed for 9A 110vac?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »

Just cut the black wire on the line cord between where it enters the case and the fuse and attach to the switch (solder or screw terminals as equipped).  If you need to add pigtails from the switch use the same gauge as the line cord (it may be printed on the cord). If in doubt use 16 or 14 awg.  Here's an even easier solution for $5:  https://goo.gl/fqoXec

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »

That module is pretty cool.  I already plug devices into a power splitter on my bench.  I think if I were to NOT install the switch inside the staton, I'd get a 3 position power splitter/strip for around the same price from walmart, but they'd be functionally identical.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.