Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 dies on circuit if anything is plugged into gfi socket on same circuit.  (Read 1895 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

Lovely.....

I have a computer now in my garage that is plugged into a nearby gfi plug.
An appliance controller plugged into a standard plug but on the same breaker switch will cease to function if anything, even just an x10 noise filter is plugged into that gci socket. - So it's not switcher noise this time.

I'm fixin to replace the gfi with a standard plug as I won't be stopped but before I go and do that I thought I'd consult y'all.

Been a while, Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

An appliance module stops responding, if anything is connected to the gfci? Even if it is a old fashioned incandescent lamp.

Testing with a standard outlet may give you more details.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

FWIW
I have had GFI's filter out X10 signals at the GFI and all downstream outlets protected by the GFI. It isn't noise, it is the sensing toroids on Line and Neutral lines inside the GFI, choking the X10. How old is the GFI? My problem was with old units. I have a new unit (+3 year old ) that isn't a problem.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

To better understand what is going on, where is the transmitter with respect to the GFI and the outlet the appliance module is plugged into?  Is the transmitter on the same circuit?  Also, the power supplies in many desktop and tower computers have capacitors directly across the AC input to meet the FCC regulation on conducted radiation.  Unless the computer is isolated with an appropriate X10 filter, that capacitor can severely load down X10 signals on the same circuit.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bitman

Well guys, add another thing to the "out of code" changes that need to be put back if we ever sell this mountain palace.
I went ahead and swapped the GFI outlet with a standard everyday plug and the problem is gone.

Thanks for all the help! And good to talk to you again.
BTW. I was re-x10-ing the traveling sprinkler. Now it's on Alexa control too with the rest of the house!

Cue the Jetson's theme song.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Thank you for the updated information.
You didn't happen to have an X10 meter like a XTBM to see what the power line had on it.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

Well guys, add another thing to the "out of code" changes that need to be put back if we ever sell this mountain palace.
I went ahead and swapped the GFI outlet with a standard everyday plug and the problem is gone.

Thanks for all the help! And good to talk to you again.
BTW. I was re-x10-ing the traveling sprinkler. Now it's on Alexa control too with the rest of the house!

Cue the Jetson's theme song.
You didn't happen to try replacing the GFCI with a new one, did you? Perhaps that one was going bad (they don't last forever), or was creating a noise / signal sucking situation.

bitman

No. I had a new standard plug on hand but no money on hand so I cheated.

Maybe someday.  ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.