Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wall switch module for LED pool lights  (Read 2509 times)

iceberg_623

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
wall switch module for LED pool lights
« on: May 31, 2018, 12:30:11 AM »

X10 newbie here,
I recently bought a 120V/20W LED color changing light bulb for my pool light. I installed it and went to turn it on and the light started acting erradicly, flickering and didnt change colors and eventually went out. After troubleshooting i found the switch (PLW01) which read "Incandescent lamps only". I'm under the impression i probably blew the new bulb and fried the switch because now the switch wont even turn on my old incandescent bulb ,which was a R40 / 400 watt bulb.
I would like to get my color changing LED bulb going but dont want to fry another switch or blow another bulb. I researched a little and found the WS469 switch which read it can operate LED's.
Can anyone help lead me in the right direction to find the correct switch. I don't believe my fixture box has a neutral wire connection which might cause me some issues as i read the WS469 needs a neutral wire connection.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: wall switch module for LED pool lights
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 04:32:09 AM »

Any of the X10 two wire dimmer switches. Get their power through the load and made for an incandescent load. It is possible you damaged the bulb and switch. You may want to look at the switch and verify you didn't turn the safety switch used to safely change a bulb off. That kills the power to make it safer to change the bulb.

Yes the WS469 does need a Neutral connection so it doesn't need power through the load.

I am not sure if you could rewire the switches position. To provide Line and Neutral powering a X10 In wall KeyPad and a fixture module inside the lights electrical box. Then have the KeyPad control the lights or the X10 controller you now control things with.

Another thought is put a standard mechanical switch in and have a fixture module mounted in the light fixture. Then use your present X10 controllers to turn it On and Off.  That way you probably could not turn the light on and off at the switches position and if someone turned the mechanical switch off. The pool lights would not work.
The fixture modules come in a On Off and dimmer type. The On Off is probably better in your case. I linked both for you to compare. Both need a neutral in the bulbs electrical box and enough room for it to fit.

On Off fixture module:  https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/modules/appliance-modules/xpfm.html
Dimmer fixture module: https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/modules/lamp-modules/xpdf-inline-dimmable-receiver-module.html
KeyPads: https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/in-wall-keypads.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:21:06 AM by Brian H »

iceberg_623

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:41:39 AM »

Thanks Brian for the response.
So i purchased a WS469 because i noticed the white neutral wires in my box. I wired it up and tried to light the bulb but had no luck. I know the LED bulb is good because i wired a regular light switch and the bulb lit up and functioned fine. Any thoughts on why the new WS469 is not working? I'm thinking my luck bought a defective switch??? B:(

[/img]

iceberg_623

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 02:55:04 AM »

how do you insert an image, I read the additions options link will allow a browser to come up but i don't get anything to come up.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 03:26:25 AM »

Possibly but I would suspect a wiring error. If the Local paddle does not work.

If the Local Paddle works but the X10 controller does not control it. It may have a signal issue.

You can test it with a line cord powering it. With Line and Neutral it should power up and click when turned On and Off. You could also add the load on the test setup and see it goes On and Off.
If the test setup works. Then you have a wiring error.

iceberg_623

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 03:32:16 AM »

I never tried my controller, i just pushed the button on the switch and it didn't function. The small led indicator on the switch wasn't even lit.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 03:34:47 AM »

Try connecting it to a line cord. Powered by the Line and Neutral.
If the LED lights and you hear it turn On and Off you may have a wiring problem. If it is still does not work. Then your thought on defective are probably true.

iceberg_623

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:40:27 AM »

Sorry, What is a line cord? If i can attach a picture you could see how it's wired.

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 03:48:27 AM »

A Line Cord is just a cord like is attached to most lamps and tools to plug into the wall outlet.  Use a three wire one for testing.

On your question, I used a 12V version that came with two lamp heads.  Color changes every 5 seconds.  Wired them through a 12V photocell to come on at dusk and go off at dawn.  Works like a champ and uses lots less juice than a 110V 20W unit would.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »

Here's a screenshot of how you post a photo. Just below this text box you'll see "+Attachments and other options" - click the "+" and then you'll see the "Choose File" box. Click that and select the photo from wherever it's stored.

I think you need to have made 10 posts to the forum to attach photos.  You've made 5 posts to this thread so make 5 more and you should be good.  Send a photo of how you have it connected and I'm sure we can help sort it out.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.