Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: It’s time to move on  (Read 16186 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: It’s time to move on
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »

I can't even sell the shelved modules because I have no idea if they would work for anyone else or not.

If you list what you have, you'll probably find others here who would be willing to take that risk in order to have backup hardware - or to expand their own systems. The parts aren't doing you any good sitting on the shelf, you might as well try to get a few dollars for them.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »

Jeff has a forum section where you could list the items.
http://jvde.us/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=v5s4akt82q545bd6ib0pu8sgf2&board=17.0

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »

…..  The old cameras, Ninja bases and RF video receivers were horrible.

That is true.... by TODAYS standards... those old cameras weren't much. But in their day... they were pretty darn sharp. The resolution was pretty much equal to the TV's we watched back then. The cameras were tiny and cheap... easy to install and pretty darn flexible.

My first X10 project was the lighting in my Home Theater (which still functions great)…. my 2nd project was a camera so I could see my driveway (and then more cameras).

Of course the X10 driveway camera setup was replaced years ago.... and the system that originally replaced the X10 system... has also been replaced. AND... I am considering replacing THAT system with a Ring floodlight and doorbell setup.

Turning lights On & Off... ain't no big deal. ANY of the available setups can do that. The Wifi controlled stuff is pretty nice. But I haven't seen anything near X10's CM15A as far as programing goes. But then again.... without my HomeSeer Hometroller I wouldn't be able to control X10 lighting using Amazon's AI echo device and Alexa. Other than a few on-line hobbyists using of Raspberry Pi's.... I see no movement towards on-line control of X10.... which it used to have. How do you ask X10 users.... to go BACKWARDS?!?!

In 1975 turning a light On and dimming it using a palmpad was.... almost exciting. But in 2018.... knowing your mobile phone will (silently and automatically) report it's location to your AI device when driving home from work or a trip.... which in turn will alter the temperature at home. THAT is smart Home Automation. And X10 isn't going to accomplish that without code writers and servers. IMHO... AI devices like Google and Amazon's Alexa... are the best thing to hit Home Automation since X10's introduction.

I know..... AI [or the use of AI] provokes a Etymology, or "uncanny valley" [ i.e.creepy feeling] among some older people. So... maybe X10 can limp on selling off it's stock to an aged population that is afraid of modern technology.

X10 is still great at the basics! I have no plans to "switch-over" to another protocol. But I have switched over to HomeSeer to control my X10. Although zwave is a bit pricey for switching over my entire setup. And I have "included" other protocols that all seem to work well with my older X10 parts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:14:58 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »

…….I don't want to fumble through a smartphone to open an app and then wait for the app to load, and wait again for the app to find all the smart switches in the house before I can even tell it to turn something on or off.

If I want to turn on/off a light (or TV and cable box)….. I merely say (something like):  Alexa... **** light on.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 01:13:26 PM »

The Alexa routines are improving greatly allowing multi devices to be controlled via one command and she will respond with a custom reply which beats the normal "OK" response.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 08:15:45 PM »

It reports back a M13 status even though it is using an A House Code.
FWIW
Interesting; M13, in ones and zeros, is all zeros. All most like the module does not know what X10 code it is, and just returns 0000 0000.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »

The Alexa routines are improving greatly ……..

Science has followed fiction for some years. Microsoft may have had a edge in the SiFi development of the Halo Virtual Assistant (by the same name as the MS voice). Although a long time coming (17 years) to our living rooms (and more)…. it has only begun to become the part of our individual lives... it is sure to become. Yet... Microsoft seems to have dropped the ball... just as Virtual Assistant have become a reality.

My 3 year old granddaughter has learned to interact with Alexa
. Interestingly... she discusses and negotiates music selections with Alexa. Virtual Assistants... will always be with her.... and she will NOT know or remember a life without them. 

Trivia: The Halo and Cortana (same voice) is recorded by Jennifer Taylor. Apples Siri voice is that of Susan Bennett. Amazon's Alexa however... is completely computer generated.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:16:35 PM by HA Dave »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »

More trivia:  The most famous voice of all had to be Jane Barbe, who was the voice behind "We're sorry, you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service," and other hits like phone company time announcements and other phone company recordings preceded by the SIT.  BTW, adding a SIT to the beginning of your voicemail greeting will generally shut down a telemarketing call and scrub your number from their list.  see:https://goo.gl/WS6tXH

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »

I wonder if Authinx has noticed that the discussions on this forum are now almost exclusively about creating home built controllers using SBC devices and there is little to no discussion about the WM100 - other than fixing things that should have worked on day 1.  It seems that everyone here has given up on the WM100 which is understandable as the pace of its development gives a whole new meaning to the term 'glacial.' Seven months post-launch and still no Alexa skill - really?

It's not clear that Authinx has a plan for sustainability and, even though it owns this forum, the owner has never introduced himself or addressed us directly about anything. Collectively, those of us here probably have enough modules squirreled away to automate the Pentagon and we're not sending Authinx a lot of money for new stuff.  I can't really imagine that as a 20 or 30-something young man looking to automate my first home that X10 would make my short list as it did 34 years ago.  Would I even know about X10 today?

That said, I've used it for 34 years, it works and I'll continue to use it as long as it meets my needs. My Stargate controller let's me do anything I can think of and I have two spare units, but none of this helps Authinx keep the lights on.  I'd be wary of using any product that would be orphaned without the continued presence of their proprietary server.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »

It seems that everyone here has given up on the WM100 which is understandable as the pace of its development gives a whole new meaning to the term 'glacial.'
I don't believe everyone has given up on the WM100  mine just sits unattended and works quietly in the background given the options available it is simply a timer that you can control from your phone.
Seven months post-launch and still no Alexa skill - really?
it took itead (a Chinese manufacture of the Sonoff modules)  three years to introduce an Alexa app  from the time they said they were working on it so given the Wm100 software is being developed in China I don't expect a skill any time soon. Authinx hasn't even stated they are working on it yet.
It's not clear that Authinx has a plan for sustainability and, even though it owns this forum, the owner has never introduced himself or addressed us directly about anything.
and that likely will not change Tim Forehand  purchased X10 shortly before falling to cancer.
His wife and best friend have been trying to keep his dream alive.
Most of us playing with SBCs are doing so mainly to take the Home Automation setup off the PC My Pi embedded CM15 was to create a single module simular to the WM100 but with far more options.
The WM100 and discussions of a Pro version made many see the power of a SBC.

Since many SBC can run the Andoid OS you could put the WM100 app on one though currently I don't see why you'd want too unless you have a keyboad mouse and monitor connected as well.

I truely believe the SBC is the way of expanding ones HA setup and creating a true universal hub for many different protocols allowing inter communication for them all.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »

People need to move as far away as possible from Jeff's drive to take over the world.  ALL of his Alexa stuff needs to be abandoned.  I find the whole craze offensive and more than a little bit frightening that people are so gullible.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »

I wonder if Authinx has noticed that the discussions on this forum are now almost exclusively about creating home built controllers using SBC devices and there is little to no discussion about the WM100 - other than fixing things that should have worked on day 1.  It seems that everyone here has given up on the WM100 which is understandable as the pace of its development gives a whole new meaning to the term 'glacial.' Seven months post-launch and still no Alexa skill - really?

It's not clear that Authinx has a plan for sustainability and, even though it owns this forum, the owner has never introduced himself or addressed us directly about anything. Collectively, those of us here probably have enough modules squirreled away to automate the Pentagon and we're not sending Authinx a lot of money for new stuff.  I can't really imagine that as a 20 or 30-something young man looking to automate my first home that X10 would make my short list as it did 34 years ago.  Would I even know about X10 today?

That said, I've used it for 34 years, it works and I'll continue to use it as long as it meets my needs. My Stargate controller let's me do anything I can think of and I have two spare units, but none of this helps Authinx keep the lights on.  I'd be wary of using any product that would be orphaned without the continued presence of their proprietary server.
Man, you should be a Supreme Court Justice. Your "brief" speaks volumes. Especially that first paragraph.   
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »

People need to move as far away as possible from Jeff's drive to take over the world.  ALL of his Alexa stuff needs to be abandoned. I find the whole craze offensive and more than a little bit frightening that people are so gullible.

Yes.... fear is a powerful motivator.

Ned Ludd was an actual real person... and a sweet guy... who was never punished for his rage against the machine (well... and a supervisor too). Everyone realized.... he was overwelled by his fear. But the looms... continued to weave... and the industrial revolution was born. The Luddite Armies that followed, kidnapped, and murdered in their quest to crush the advancement of industrialization.

Todays technological revolution is just as scary as the machines that did the same work that people had performed..... in the 18th century. Hating the purveyors of these frightening (your word) technologies is irrational.... in a world where irrational behavior is both encouraged and punished. AI and robots... are here. Time... may not be linear... but it can not be reversed. Adapt or join the other Luddites in misery.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:20:44 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:41 PM »

I wonder if Authinx has noticed that the discussions on this forum are now almost exclusively about creating home built controllers ……

I can't imagine anyone has missed that. I fully support any method that would bring X10 "back on-line". Hell... microwaves, refrigerators, cars, TV's.... everything is cloud connected.... EXCEPT our smart homes... if we only rely on X10 for automation.

But the vast majority of American's do NOT wish to become Linux hobbyist. If the front-end efforts to make the units user friendly isn't made.... it's a failure before it begins. Once this forum becomes another "makers craft" DIY site.... it serves no purpose. Does the Forum have a mission statement anywhere?

It's not clear that Authinx has a plan for sustainability...……...  I can't really imagine that as a 20 or 30-something young man looking to automate my first home that X10 would make my short list as it did 34 years ago.  Would I even know about X10 today?

Yeah.... more likely the 20-30 year old wants to automate his Mom's basement. And his/her idea of automation has NOTHING to do with turning lights on/off using a remote (or a phone). Modern automation is AI... period... like it or not.

………..  I'd be wary of using any product that would be orphaned without the continued presence of their proprietary server.

And there is the rub! The old guys (a big part of the forum) are afraid of the very technology that 90% of the general population WANTS in a Home Automation product. 50 million automation users of Alexa alone (39 million in the USA)….. and no X10 skill.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »

The old guys (a big part of the forum) are afraid of the very technology that 90% of the general population WANTS in a Home Automation product.
I don't believe that! Most of the "old guys" here embrace the tech we just point out the issues (flaws)! Remember your older then me!

We point out the flaws so others are aware and to take steps in case! We'll not be the ones that say
 "I didn't know that could happen!"
or
"Why didn't some one tell me that could happen?"
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.