Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WiFi module  (Read 22483 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: WiFi module
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »

Anyone know how the WiFi X10 module development is coming along?
:'    >*<     B:(    rofl
Last I heard the software(app) was the hold up.
I suspect once that is ready it will reveal issues with the Hardware ( at least that's what happened with the first proto type) B:(
Hopefully the protocol is made available and end users will be able to create a software comparable to AHP.
Currently I've implemented a BroadLink RM into my setup since this will learn and send X10 RF as well as other RF & IR devices. It is looking like the X10 Wi-Fi module will be obsolete before it is released (at least for me)  :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »

I wanted the WiFi module years ago (3-4 now I guess).  But, I've been happy with my RPi setup which connects to a CM15A and to my network (including WiFi and internet) so I have little need for a X10 to WiFi bridge at this point.  If it was available 3-4 years ago, I'm sure I would be using it today as the main link.  Today I find it too little, too late.  But, maybe the specs will prove me wrong.  Don't know since I've never seen what it's designed to do (other than presumably allow me to turn a light on with my phone...woohoo).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 06:39:35 PM »

..... I have little need for a X10 to WiFi bridge at this point. .....
.....Today I find it too little, too late.  But, maybe the specs will prove me wrong.  Don't know since I've never seen what it's designed to do (other than presumably allow me to turn a light on with my phone...woohoo).

Sure... you could say Internet/Wi-Fi control is just a phone used as a remote. Or... you can look at it as computer control... with the computer being your phone. And that same phone can connect to a lot of different stuff... including cloud servers. I am finding that being able to select a little from this protocol and a little from that... is all good.

The guys here... keep coming up with new ways to add/do more stuff with what's available too.

I am using a smorgasbord of connectivity devices with my HA setup. I have an Echo (full sized) as well and the puck-sized DOT. I am using the Z-wave Homeseer Hometroller to control my X10 (mostly using Amazons Alexa) with the CM15A plugin. Of course I still have a (laptop) PC running for control of a CM15A plus BVC (which is still hardwired to speakers). I also have a Wink Hub, and a Chamberlain hub/device to control a light and my garage door. Plus I have my camera server too.

I can control locally... or via the cloud. And if I can add more control... that's even better. I've found some things... I ask Siri about or task her with. Other things I task to, or ask Alexa about. I've read that googles device is smarter and more conversational. I wouldn't mind having Google in the house too. I wouldn't want the NSA to miss anything I might mumble.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:58:40 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »

I have an Echo (full sized) as well and the puck-sized DOT.
I just ordered an Echo and also have the Dot which I want to move outside our bedroom and office doors so I can use Alexa from either room.  However both Echo's will be in ear shot of each other. Do you have any interference problems, or are yours better separated?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »

I just ordered an Echo and also have the Dot ..... both Echo's will be in ear shot of each other. Do you have any interference problems, or are yours better separated?

My Dot sets on my side-table next to my easy-chair (in the living room). With the TV on I can whisper to it (but I talk to it normally) and it replies fine. The Echo is 30 feet away, in the next room.

I got the Echo mostly so my wife could listen to (stream) music. It can easily be heard in the kitchen, dining room (where it is located), or even most of the main floor if turned up enough. But the wife listens to music at around level 3 or 4.... which I don't even hear when I am in the living room. BTW only one device can play music at any one time (according to the spec).

If I am in the kitchen (and cooking) I can ask (holler) for Alexa to give me a timer. The closer Echo will ALWAYS reply. The two devices will talk to each other and determine which one is closest to me.... and that is the device that will reply and play the timer alarm. [But because the wife keeps the volume level set low... I have to remember to assign Alexa to higher volume level].

They really don't seem to have any problem figuring out which one I am talking to. If I stand in the doorway between them and ask for todays weather forecast I will get the reply from the one I am looking... in the direction of. I am confident I could set both in the same (large) room and get reply's from the device I look at

These things are addictive! I am thinking about adding one in the bedroom to use as an alarm. And I wouldn't mind having one downstairs too. You know... they make wall mounts for the Dots. Maybe next time they have a price cut......
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:00:06 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »

.......... BTW only one device can play music at any one time (according to the spec)...........

That guy has no idea what he's posting. I just tried playing/streaming on both of mine at the same time... and it worked fine.  :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »

These things are addictive! I am thinking about adding one in the bedroom to use as an alarm. And I wouldn't mind having one downstairs too. You know... they make wall mounts for the Dots. Maybe next time they have a price cut......
I stumbled on to a YouTube of some "tech" adding battery packs to both an Echo and a Dot. He had them together on a table. When he called "Alexa" and gave a command, (what is the weather?) both units lit up but only the Echo would respond, the Dot would go dark. Obviously Amazon anticipated multiple units in a home. Which means with the next "sale" there will be a Dot downstairs. I think Tuicemen said you could use them as intercoms(?)
Thanks for the info!!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »

........ I think Tuicemen said you could use them as intercoms(?)

Yep... and as a phone/calling phone-like device. I tested the calling part to a cell-phone.... but haven't tested the intercom part yet.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.