Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like there to be a easy way to integrate (a) garage door opener(s) into a x10 System?

Yes.
- 4 (66.7%)
Yes, but only if there is also easy x10 integration with vehicles.
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 1 (16.7%)
No, but I would like there to be easy x10 integration with vehicles.
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener(s) Integration.  (Read 11524 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Garage Door Opener(s) Integration.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »

Thanks, won't ask for your personal experience again.

Ask anything. I was tasking my memory.... went through my apps. I know this stuff is not static. I just didn't want to post bad info.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »

No problem. Spent a lot of time Googling, prefer the knowledge of people who have been there, done that (you been there, you done that, in most things I've got in mind)

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »

I love the myQ, hardware and software. I like their app. The app alone has saved me several times... where I would have circled back to make sure I closed the door. I've also used the myQ app to open the garage door so my step-daughter could drop something off.... while we were away from the house. Of course.... my camera setup is also on a phone app... and I have a camera in the garage as well.

I used to use a voice alert when the garage door was open. More than a decade ago I used Bill's Voice Commander.... for voice control and alerts. Now I depend on the ding/chime that myQ selected for me. But if [the garage door is] left open I also get an email on my phone with a unique sound. There is also options for automatic closing... etc..

I am now controlling my setup with a Homeseer, Hometroller. Two CM15A's, the new X10 WM-100, the myQ server, the Wink (1st gen) Hub, and 3 Alexa devices, and 9 different apps on my iphone. I use two different brands of Apple/ihome compatible Wifi plug-in devices, one Cree WiFi bulb, and numerous X10 modules, switches, and other devices.

Everthing all seem to like each other.... and they all play well together.

Deciding to abandon a CM15A controlled by a Microsoft PC (and BVC) setup...…. and switch to a Homeseer Pi unit, and cloud/phone based setup.... wasn't exactly easy. But.... it was either keep exactly what I had with NO CHANCE of improvement or growth... or take a leap of faith. I am happy I went with AI. I am confident this is the direction that Home Automation is headed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:10:50 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »

FWIW
I'm using X10 to monitor the status of the garage door, and lower the door if open. (if door is up, an X10 code is shown as ON. If door is down the X10 code is OFF).
X10 also controls the garage door operator, but can only lower the door. When the door is down a second mag switch on the door opens the circuit to the door operator. I was using a PSC01 "Powerflash Module" for the door status and a UM506 "Universal Module" for door operator control. Now use the Smarthome "I/O Link" module for both functions. Since X10 really has no security in the sense of encryption or passwords I would highly recommend using a second mag switch to prevent the Universal Module from opening the door. $0.02
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:12 AM »

For years I would get my [computer generated] voice reminders telling me my garage door was open (or had just closed)…. as long as I was in the home. Because the warning was dependent on my hardwired home speakers. And HONESTLY.... 99% of the time the garage door has been left open both my wife and I was home at the time.

But in the spring I shut-down the X10, PC-based, BVC-software controlled voice alerts. And I do miss my Kate-16 computer voice. But now all my alerts are phone and tablet based chimes and such (I wish there was a better way-app that would allow better phone alerts).

But two weeks ago while having dinner with the step-daughter and her family (we had been sitting the kids earlier)… my phone chimed a 15 minute garage door reminder (with a banner). I opened my security camera app... to see for myself... if I had actually forgotten to close the garage door. I had. So... as we chatted before dinner I closed the door using my MyQ app.... and watched it close on my security camera app. There is real value in those apps and products.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.