🔌General Home Automation > Troubleshooting Automation Problems

Lightning strike and 2 dead WS13As

<< < (2/2)

solareclipse:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on July 08, 2018, 12:13:54 PM ---Call me crazy, but ground rods are relatively cheap. I'd prefer a separate ground rod for communications. I hate when they the on to the power ground.

--- End quote ---

Spectrum told me specifically that they are not allowed to ground directly to the ground like the POTS telcos can.  They have to tie to the electrical ground.  *shrug*

Brian H:
Yes I have seen photos and references to connecting the cable ground block to the electrical system ground. In the DSL Reports forums cable related sections. They even have one that clamps to the meter box to provide it.

When I worked for Motorola. We use to see lightning dance around the insides of Base Stations. Taking out circuits on boards. We even had MOV and Gas Discharge devices on things like remote phone lines.

Knightrider:
I still have a base station with the front panel blown off in 1992. Was an older unit with a real transformer power supply. I'll never forget the smell of that. (Or the fact it fried unconnected phone lines and blew out a main breaker at the station)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version