Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Security setting  (Read 2228 times)

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Security setting
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »

I have four devices that have a "security off" of 9:30pm. I assumed that each device would have its own random off time, but the app shows the same off time for all four. Yes, the time is no longer 9:30pm (time updated just like the consoles), however I expected independent off times.

Comments?  Thanks.

radioguy1007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Security setting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:36:12 AM »

I noticed the same exact thing.  The time changes from day to day (maybe hour to hour but I never tested), but the same offset is used for any security setting.  If I set two timers to trigger at 8:00, they will both turn off at 8:00 plus the same amount of minutes.  If I set one of the two for 8:01, the latter one goes off exactly the same amount of minutes as the 8:00 plus one.  I never saw the old clock timers ever behave this way.

ceedee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 04:52:50 AM »

I agree...I've used the "old style" consoles for 20+ years, and never saw this behavior.  For true "security," each module must change its on/off time independent of other modules, otherwise there is no difference from the standard timer setting...they all turn on/off at exactly the same moment.  Sure, not the same time as the day before, but simultaneously.

Bug!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:55:53 AM »

I've not played with the security timer much,  with any controller, however it should work to turn off your device around the time set.
so if you set it up for 9:30 it will always display 9:30 but work (up to 20 mins I believe) prior or after that time.
The actual off time will not be displayed as it always changes. ;)
I noticed the same exact thing.  The time changes from day to day (maybe hour to hour but I never tested), but the same offset is used for any security setting.

That is how I would expect it to work.
The manual doesn't explain the security option in much detail but if you want devices to turn off at different times then others using the security setting you should set them to different times as you've done.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ceedee

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »

Actually, the new time on/off does change in both the consoles and the app.  If the initial security time is 9:30pm, and the new security time is 9:16pm, both the consoles and the app will display that new time for that day.  The time is recalculated for the next cycle.  Also, if the module were to mimic the consoles, the new times would be in the "hour" of the initial time setting.  In my example, the new times would be in the 9-10pm range.

The security feature works.  The problem is that EVERY module using the security function appears to change to exactly the same time moving forward if they start with the same time.  In other words, the new time for each module is not calculated independently.   The module picks a new time, and uses that for every module with the security feature set.  This is NOT how the consoles work!

I guess I can set each module to have a different initial time.  However, as indicated above, the same new time difference appears to be applied to each module.  So, if I space my initial start times 5 minutes apart for three modules, the new times will always be 5 minutes apart.  Yes, each time is different, but the on/off times are not truly random.  There is a pattern.  Again, this is not how the consoles work.

I think this is a bug!  How does one submit a bug report?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:13:42 AM by ceedee »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 05:22:46 AM »

I'm not sure this is a bug, as much as not working the way you expect.
I never used the security option in AHP so I can't compare. I will bring this to Authinxs attention if they feel it is more an inhancement then bug it will be looked at as such. Bugs get looked into first.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ceedee

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 06:02:37 AM »

Ok, thanks!

I did some more testing.  As we all know, syncing with the WM100 can be problematic, especially on iOS (in my case, iPad).

I did manage to sync some data, and the three "security" devices now have different off times.  I’m thinking that the module has independent, updated times, but those times are not being synced to the app.

My android phone syncs more reliably, so I will monitor times on that device.

I will monitor!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 07:07:51 AM »

I've emailed the Authinx guy who is in charge of communicating with the developer of the Wi-Fi app regarding this.
Do keep an eye on this and keep us updated, and if there is a difference with the Android and IOS apps.
Both apps should perform the same but if the Android app makes the WM100 perform differently then there definitely is a bug.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »

I noticed the same exact thing.  The time changes from day to day (maybe hour to hour but I never tested), but the same offset is used for any security setting.
That is how I would expect it to work.
The manual doesn't explain the security option in much detail but if you want devices to turn off at different times then others using the security setting you should set them to different times as you've done.

That is how I would expect it to work too.  It makes sense that one would follow the same pattern when they get ready for bed, but that pattern would occur at different times on successive nights.  Having lights switch off in a totally random sequence would be more indicative of something other than a person heading for bed controlling them.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 07:40:50 AM »

I guess we expected the WM100 to function  as AHP does.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

radioguy1007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »

I had used many versions of the X10 hardware timers in the past (including the ones that would totally lock up if you pushed the wrong buttons in the wrong mode).  Typical past use was to turn off an inside lamp and outside light.  Set both to go off at 10:00, some days the inside light would go off first, sometimes the reverse.  Times varied from a few minutes to 1/2 hour.  But never would they go off together at the delayed time.  The WM delay does change from day to day - but if it is 15 minutes today on one module it will be exactly 15 minutes on the other module from the programmed time.  Tomorrow it might be 37 minutes on both, the next day 22 minutes on both.....

ceedee

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 04:18:35 AM »

Some new data to ponder.  I initially set three modules to turn off (security) at 920pm, 925pm, and 930pm two nights ago. They turned off at those times. Last night, they turned off at 902, 907, and 957. Today, they are scheduled to turn off at 934, 939, and 944.  I find it interesting that all the new times are still 5 minutes apart, except for that "957” time.  Weird!

Note that I have to execute a manual sync to see updated times on the apps.  My iPad does not sync, so the times always look "stuck."  After a refresh on my iPhone and android phone, the app displays the updated times.  Without a refresh, I continue to see yesterday’s times.

I will continue to monitor,  but it now appears that the module is creating new times each day, but the new times are not automatically synced with the iOS and Android apps.

Later.

ceedee

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »

Last update on this from me, as I think we all get the gist. Modified times last night triggered as scheduled. I did a manual sync this morning, and the module calculated new times: 911, 916, 921. So, it appears that the module keeps the initial 5 minute spread by adding or subtracting the same offset for each module every night. The algorithm needs a tweak to be consistent with prior console behavior. Cheers. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.