🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

Where to put the cable box....

<< < (2/4) > >>

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dave w on August 06, 2018, 01:48:40 PM ---………..  I'm simplifying this: for example: a 4k, high dynamic range (12 bit color) video signal with multiple stereo channels will really tax a long HDMI cable.
--- End quote ---

Yeah I did an install a few years back. And the lady wanted the theater projection to also play on a bathroom TV (which was a easy install in earlier years with composite cables) . It was a major hassle and I found a solution by NOT using HDMI audio.... but instead ran a separate stereo setup from the receiver/AMP. 

--- Quote from: dave w on August 06, 2018, 01:48:40 PM ---New router makes a lot of sense since cable stringing, cable losses, etc would not be a factor.
--- End quote ---

Yeah.... I own my router (NOT a cable company rental) and it wasn't cheap. To currently meet my needs I am running a switch/hub.... and CAT6 to my Blue Ray/streaming device combo. But I am also using WiFi elsewhere as well.

--- Quote from: dave w on August 06, 2018, 01:48:40 PM ---And finally, I am really disappointed that "Mandy" will not be returning to LMS. Very funny actress.
--- End quote ---

Yes...  funny! And Molly Ephraim ain't all that awful to look at either. She is actually 32 years old.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: SkipWX10 on August 06, 2018, 08:35:45 PM ---What's a TV?
--- End quote ---

It's getting hard to tell anymore. Any definition I'd use would involve what a TV used to be.... or what it isn't anymore.

brobin:
I use a Tivo box as a DVR, cable box and streaming device. I have no set top box from the cable provider but, as required by law, they provide me with one multicast cable CARD that plugs into the Tivo.  The Tivo has six tuners and can record from them all or just 5 if you're watching TV. It also supports Mini-Tivos ($149) that are remote units that stick on the back of other TV's and connect to the mother Tivo either via Ethernet or MOCA.  MOCA, which transmits data on the existing coax, is handy if you don't already have Ethernet at the TV. When a Mini is in use it uses one of the 6 tuners.  What all this means is that multiple TV's can be watching different shows, recordings or streaming sources throughout the house without running any new wiring. HDMI length is not an issue since the HDMI cable connects to the TIVO device right at the TV.  Since we went with Tivo's we no longer use our Roku or Amazon Fire Sticks as we get all the streaming services, including Amazon and Netflix, through the Tivo.  I've had this installed for 3 years and am very pleased with it. Tivo has added Alexa control recently and a skip feature that lets you skip commercial breaks with a single button press or by telling Alexa to "skip."
 I have 90Mbps at one home and 23 Mbps at the other and have no issues with buffering at either location. I use my own Motorola SB6141 cable modem and ASUS RT-AC66U router and a Cisco 24 port gigabit switch as well as some Tenda 5 and 8 port gigabit switches off that.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: brobin on August 07, 2018, 02:01:27 AM ---I use a Tivo box as a DVR, cable box and streaming device...……….
--- End quote ---

OMG... I've never Tivo'ed…. or seen a Tivo setup... or even knew someone who does/did. So the idea of using any Tivo equipment was just completely off my radar. Which is silly as your setup sounds pretty darn sharp.

I just did a quick Amazon search.... and see the DVR's are not cheap. But they do have a lot to offer. I have some research to do....

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on August 07, 2018, 05:45:59 PM ---OMG... I've never Tivo'ed…. or seen a Tivo setup... or even knew someone who does/did. So the idea of using any Tivo equipment was just completely off my radar. Which is silly as your setup sounds pretty darn sharp.

--- End quote ---

Our setup is similar to brobin.  We replaced our 3 Panasonic DVRs with a 6-tuner Tivo when our cable company finally killed the analog channels.  We also have Tivo Mini's to watch what is stored on the Tivo in other rooms.  And since the Tivo has become central to our media system, I added a second unit for backup and additional storage.  We also have a couple of Roku's for streaming - one in the family room and one in the theater room.  TiVo has since added streaming capability for the more popular services.

Now on your question of where to locate the cable box, ours is in the centrally located utility room.  That feeds the WiFi router and a second Ethernet router that feeds Ethernet jacks in most rooms.  Three of our computers, the Tivo, and the Roku's have direct Ethernet connections.  And obviously there is WiFi for everything else.

The Roku and Tivo feed the AV amplifier in the theater room.  From that is about a 20 foot HDMI cable to the projector.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version