Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: HG and Alexa?  (Read 6651 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: HG and Alexa?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »

I've found a YouTube Pi-bridge-Alexa setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kob2IED4gPI&t=172s… is it really this complex?
This video was for Windows and was done using an earlier version of HA-Bridge and maybe even HG.
Ha-Bridge has evolved a lot from when I first started using it.
It took me a month to initially figure it out ::) :'Luckily things have gotten easier.
However anything can be made to look complicated or very simple depending on a number of factors.
I went over my HA-Bridge step by step this morning and made some small wording changes. Even thought the actual code to type or cut and paste were all correct this may help.
 It should be noted some of the code has words in brackets these must be included as must the brackets.
I'm going to load up a fresh Rasbian SD card and test my script today for HA-Bridge.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »

I split this off from my HG beginner step by step setup thread as it was getting off topic and more towards adds for HG & or Alexa and Ha-Bridge.
I'm not sure where my HA-Bridge step by step is giving you a problem Dave but it appears to be at the text editor nano which creates the "ha-bridge.service" file.
 ::) :'
Linux is very case sensitive for things and not as forgiving as Windows so if you typed in the code instead of cut and paste that could be the issue, or I messed up typing it out.
I'll go over my write up again while I fine tune my setup script in case I omitted something.

That's why I keep away from bold text, full stops brackets and any other special characters when posting cut and paste Linux commands. They usually end up in the editor or the Terminal session and create havoc. It doesn't look pretty grant it but it works. I prefer the nano editor others use vi but either way it must be a plain text editor.

Not sure if Dave is using Terminal locally or SSH but its vital that he notes what folder he is working in when carrying out the cut and paste routine. One simple missing cd command will mean vital files are located in the wrong folder and permissions will become an issue when running a service.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »

Just a suggestion Dave if all else fails and if it sits well with you and Tuicemen. You could temporarily port forward your Raspberry Pi and allow Tuicemen a temporary SSH session on it if you really want to get HA-Bridge running. It would be just a one off requirement as you could image the working version, do what you want with it and always have the working version to fall back on. I've done similar for others in the past when things got "stubborn".

As I said its just a suggestion.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:41 AM »

That's why I keep away from bold text, full stops brackets and any other special characters when posting cut and paste Linux commands.
That may be the issue here. I didn't use the code option of the forum for posting as it doesn't display well in my forum.

I'll switch to that just in case.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »

Just a suggestion Dave if all else fails and if it sits well with you and Tuicemen. You could temporarily port forward your Raspberry Pi and allow Tuicemen a temporary SSH session on it if you really want to get HA-Bridge running. ...….

But... where that would get me... isn't where I want to go. It isn't even the direction I am heading in.

We know for a fact that HG can run on a Pi, and we know that with a bridge HG can work with Alexa. One more person with such a setup isn't going to change anything. It certainly won't change anything in MY household as I already have Alexa controlling my X10 (and other devices).

But a simple setup that a non-Pi user can get up and running... just like the thousands of Homeseer users are paying big bucks for... could be a gamechanger for X10.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »

I am also mulling the port 8080 choice over too. Don't forget... I am also running the Homeseer Hometroller (as SSH) and a few other devices here. I am considering using port 8090. Or is it even possible that the post number would make any difference? It's been since window 95 that I've had any consideration for ports.

BTW... I configure the HomesSeer on it's Pi (CAT5 connected to the router)... using SSH on a Chrome browser. I plan on using HG directly connected to a TV (I also have a long range mouse/keyboard) using a WiFi Internet connection. I like mixing things up.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »

Just a suggestion Dave if all else fails and if it sits well with you and Tuicemen. You could temporarily port forward your Raspberry Pi and allow Tuicemen a temporary SSH session on it if you really want to get HA-Bridge running. ...….

But... where that would get me... isn't where I want to go. It isn't even the direction I am heading in.

We know for a fact that HG can run on a Pi, and we know that with a bridge HG can work with Alexa. One more person with such a setup isn't going to change anything. It certainly won't change anything in MY household as I already have Alexa controlling my X10 (and other devices).

But a simple setup that a non-Pi user can get up and running... just like the thousands of Homeseer users are paying big bucks for... could be a gamechanger for X10.
Ok just to put it simply, allow someone like Tuicemen to access your Raspberry Pi remotely so he can perform all that cutting and pasting himself for you. Once the HA-Bridge is installed and talking to HomeGenie you can image the working copy yourself and have it forever without worrying about breaking it and having to start from scratch again.

Incidentally access for this type of operation will be setup by port forwarding port 22 on your LAN address that your Raspberry Pi occupies to your WAN address. Once completed you can disable that setting and everything is back to normal.

Again this was just a suggestion to get your HA-Bridge up and running as painlessly as possible.

edited by Tuicemen to fix Quote (fixed read ability)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:27:29 PM by Tuicemen »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2018, 02:34:55 PM »

Ok I have a working script for the latest version of HA-Bridge for those that are interested in giving it a test run.
This is my first PI script creation so It may be a bit rough around the edges but it gets things done.

I understand user not wishing someone to logging in and doing the work for them many wish to see the steps being done.
a VNC login would be better as the end user could follow along.
In any case the new script means one line in the terminal window hit enter and your done.
I'll copy over my HA-Bridge StepByStep to this forum and also include the script in it.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

Ok I have a working script for the latest version of HA-Bridge for those that are interested in giving it a test run.
This is my first PI script creation so It may be a bit rough around the edges but it gets things done.

I understand user not wishing someone to logging in and doing the work for them many wish to see the steps being done.
a VNC login would be better as the end user could follow along.
In any case the new script means one line in the terminal window hit enter and your done.
I'll copy over my HA-Bridge StepByStep to this forum and also include the script in it.
 >!

Possibly so. Most of the remote work I carry out is for people I know. All short of calling to Dave's home I think your days work is done now. :)%
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.