Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38389 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »

no need to disable my 5ghz repeater sig in the house:  it is not seen in the workshop building 300 feet away.

besides, my cheap lynksys router right next to the pi did not connect!  and simple SSID and pw.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »

your post 148 certainly is complete with all details!  thanks.

Only difference 'tween yours and how I have been making micro DC cards is I use a different unzipper.  I have seen reference to the microsoft 7zip program but never felt a need to use it as I believe mine is better.  But for tomowor's tests I will use 7zip.

And I know my wpa file is good - I even copied it off my openhabian a few posts back.

tnx.

While I wrote that post with you in mind it is aimed at anyone experiencing difficulties and following this post. So much has been suggested so sometimes it's hard to nail down what solution if any worked.

I did suggest putting the country=US first as a lot of examples have that line third. To be honest any solution older than Jan 2018 I'd disregard owing to Zero firmware updates.

You really need access local access and a GUI on the Pi to see what's going on. There's additional local configuration options available to you to try to resolve the wireless issue but you need a functioning keyboard and monitor to do this.

I've given you as much as I can looking at this problem from a distance but I do know the answer lies between how your router and it's SSID and password are handled by the Pi. Your Pi is not communicating properly with your router and it's possibly a protocol issue.

Fingers crossed you get the job done.

mike

« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »

I too saw country as line 1;  I changed to that a while back with no change.

as another SD card (OH) communicates fine, and does so with the SAME EXACT wpa_supplicant.config file, I am assuming also it  must be my 4-5 copies of raspbian images.   Perhaps 7zip will make difference.  I have now 3 different card image writers, all recommended by different folks on the net.  None seemed to do any different than the others.  I have used Echer to write from zip, iso, and another format.  No difference.

I am using some fancy sandisk cards, some fair sandisk less expensive models, and some cheap ones.  That does not seem to be the issue either.  I have now 12 cards with documentation on what thhey do and do not do in organizer. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:43:31 PM by mike »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2018, 07:50:36 PM »

I too saw country as line 1;  I changed to that a while back with no change.

as another SD card (OH) communicates fine, and does so with the SAME EXACT wpa_supplicant.config file, I am assuming also it  must be my 4-5 copies of raspbian images.   Perhaps 7zip will make difference.  I have now 3 different card image writers, all recommended by different folks on the net.  None seemed to do any different than the others.  I have used Echer to write from zip, iso, and another format.  No difference.

I am using some fancy sandisk cards, some fair sandisk less expensive models, and some cheap ones.  That does not seem to be the issue either.  I have now 12 cards with documentation on what thhey do and do not do in organizer.

It's definitely looking like a Pi to router issue. As I said local Pi control will give you a much better chance of resolving this.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2018, 12:40:15 AM »

Only difference 'tween yours and how I have been making micro DC cards is I use a different unzipper.  I have seen reference to the microsoft 7zip program but never felt a need to use it as I believe mine is better.  But for tomowor's tests I will use 7zip.

If you use Etcher to make the image you don't even need to unzip the file. Select the zip file as source and the TF card as destination and you're done.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2018, 06:00:05 AM »

If you use Etcher to make the image you don't even need to unzip the file. Select the zip file as source and the TF card as destination and you're done.

Yes you can use any image writer you choose. Etcher will indeed do a combined unpack and write in one single operation. The main thing here is the original zip download has SHA256 validation with either method. I'm not sure if Mike is checking this.

There's so many factors here that could be affecting successful booting of the Pi. That's why I suggested local access will enable Mike to view exactly what's happening at boot. He will also be able to login locally and connect manually to his router which is not possibly remotely.

mike

« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »

etcher is so simple I have been using it mostly.  and yes, it does write verification after writing the SD card.  I have had some fail that - those SD cards went immediately into the trash can.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »

You could use an expansion board to give you full sized USB and a ethernet connection.
Or if your comfortable with your solder skills you could solder on a USB cable to the test pads.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Zero-OTG-Hack-Add-a-Fullsize-Connecto/
I plan to use those pads to hard wire the CM15 directly to it.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:13:13 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »

Sweet!  I was going to add a micro USB to my already configured USB male, female, and mid size old fashion USB cable.  Yes, I am good with soldering;  I repair surface mount electronics when required.   Tnx;  I never thought to just stick my female full size usb right to the zero!  Will do shortly and report back. 

mike

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »

Tuicemen, I have a keyboard!

my etcher made 4gb stretch-lite booted up.  I was able to login.

sudo raspi-config shows my problem under network: 

"could not communicate with wpa_supplicant"

Now I am digging into directories to find it - shoulod be same place as my working OP was...

mike

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »

ok, I think I found the issue...   

I have my wpa_supplicant.conf file in the directory:

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.config

I can sudo head wpa_supplicant.conf and it is the file I loaded so ok there.

What is missing is the whole folder wpa_supplicant pointed to by the conf file!  I have this on my working copy:

/var/run/wpa_supplicant      and in this folder on the good card are 3 files IIRC, none of which I can read with the head command, but anyway, there.

So I will boot into Tails on workshop computer, add this directory and its 3 files from the working OP card...

any other ideas?

mike

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »

maybe # is not a comment code in linux?  my wpa file:

# config generated by openHABian first boot setup
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
        ssid="lynked"
        psk="thi

I found how to reload wpa_.conf file manually ...   it says "unknown global field line 1" and "invalid configurqtion line 1"

going to redo without that #  'comment' line 

mike

« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »

slo remade wpa file in windows, it loaded into proper dir after boot, this time with the comment line gone the failure is "--c unknown global field and line 1 invalid again...

the "--c" is actually two white filled in squares then c  -- this is the country=US line...

like there are 2 invisible characters at beginning of line 1 of my wpa file...

I need to learn how to edit a text file in linux - this booting back and forth is for the birds...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »

since you now have a keyboard why not load stretch full (with GUI) setup is much easier using the desktop.
you can then setup SSH and remove the desktop for the next reboot after you have your Wi-Fi working
you can edit a text file from the terminal window with sudo nano filename
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2018, 02:24:28 PM »

so close!

I did not download the full stretch...    takes 4 hrs on our slow dsl...

so i see the problem why wpa_supplicant.conf will not load:  first line of the file is couple funny characters, even tho not there when I list the file or look in windows text editor...

not sure why this is doing this to me!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.