Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38344 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »

As you say, something unique to me.

It did not work.  No wifi connection.  I cannot check with monitor due to what happened due to my 120vac shorted USB power adapter melted my mini HDMI cable...

I suspect the 8GB TF card may not be happy:  it looks fine when I look at it in windows (the \boot J drive - the K unix drive is not accessible in windows)

The linux install consumed my SSH file (it is gone) off my \boot drive so that sounds right.  But now my wpa_ file also is gone...  I will try copying it again to \boot and install...

if not, then I will try my 16gb card that had good openhab install...

I see why Unix never made a dent in the industrial world.

No they are both supposed to disappear. They are directed to their relevant folders on initial power up of the Raspberry Pi just after youve imaged the SD card.

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/68808/raspberry-pi-zero-w-keeps-deleting-wpa-supplicant-conf-and-ssh-file
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:51:29 PM by petera »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2018, 03:07:53 PM »

As you say, something unique to me.

It did not work.  No wifi connection.  I cannot check with monitor due to what happened due to my 120vac shorted USB power adapter melted my mini HDMI cable...

I suspect the 8GB TF card may not be happy:  it looks fine when I look at it in windows (the \boot J drive - the K unix drive is not accessible in windows)

The linux install consumed my SSH file (it is gone) off my \boot drive so that sounds right.  But now my wpa_ file also is gone...  I will try copying it again to \boot and install...

if not, then I will try my 16gb card that had good openhab install...

I see why Unix never made a dent in the industrial world.

Yes your /boot folder is accessible and your /root folder is inaccessible in Windows. Not the case if you mount them in Linux.

I really do suggest you do what you can to get a fresh install of Raspbian onto an SD card and working with wifi in order to get Tuicemens install working correctly.

Just to be clear, does your card have OpenHab or OpenHabian. There is a subtle difference which will affect the way you install Mochad.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

Sounds like OpenHabian is setup in a separate container like Docker or a virtual environment and a standard install of Mochad won't work on a setup like this but you're welcome to keep trying.

I have been using plain 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.img all this time;  nothing to do with openhab.  that is the only version that DID wifi talk.  rewrote the 16gb card that held the openhab now with same raspbian with added SSH and wpa file - see if it was something to do with the 8gb card I kept trying...

mike

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

nope.   Still no wifi.  even rewriting the openhab mem card.  This is ridiculous!

Since I melted down my mini HDMI cable from the 120vac, I am flyng blind.

I just bought another cable off ebay.  in a week I will try again and see where it is getting stuck.

I have begun studying lunix.  I am now about 40 hours into trying to make a $ 5.00 pi work.  Call me crazy and you will be spot on!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »

Sounds like OpenHabian is setup in a separate container like Docker or a virtual environment and a standard install of Mochad won't work on a setup like this but you're welcome to keep trying.

I have been using plain 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.img all this time;  nothing to do with openhab.  that is the only version that DID wifi talk.  rewrote the 16gb card that held the openhab now with same raspbian with added SSH and wpa file - see if it was something to do with the 8gb card I kept trying...

So you have a copy of Raspbian with OpenHab installed that you managed to configure wifi on. I assume you did the wifi configuring locally on the Raspberry Pi using either the GUI or sudo raspi-config. You could uninstall OpenHab to give you a plain vanilla version of Raspbian but hopefully you will work out a solution to downloading, installing and configuring wifi on an SD card before going that route.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »

nope.   Still no wifi.  even rewriting the openhab mem card.  This is ridiculous!

Since I melted down my mini HDMI cable from the 120vac, I am flyng blind.

I just bought another cable off ebay.  in a week I will try again and see where it is getting stuck.

I have begun studying lunix.  I am now about 40 hours into trying to make a $ 5.00 pi work.  Call me crazy and you will be spot on!

Not really.

Rather than a generic look at Linux, maybe look at reading up on Raspbian instead. The Raspberry Pi forum is great for covering the basics and a bit more and the Raspberry Pi and other SBC's seem to be the way forward these days.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

Once the basics are out of the way you should end up flying through the rest.

Ironically I was in a distribution hub today packed with digital satellite set top boxes each one controlled by embedded Linux. That can't be a bad thing. I just set one up today and flashed a new firmware once again all achieved with the aid of Linux.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:13:51 PM by petera »

mike

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »

Well this is just amazing.  I downloaded once an image of openhab, changed the config file to have my SSID/PW, and it came right up and onto my wifi network.

I then tried again, and again, and again, probably 30 times so far, with plain raspbian and NONE will talk on my network.  New card, openhab talks, nothing else will. 

Last night I decided to try a DIFFERENT raspbian so downloaded raspbian -lite....     another hour and NFG also.

I ordered up more mini HDMI cables and such so I can watch what is happening. Whatever it is is unique to me?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »

Well this is just amazing.  I downloaded once an image of openhab, changed the config file to have my SSID/PW, and it came right up and onto my wifi network.

I then tried again, and again, and again, probably 30 times so far, with plain raspbian and NONE will talk on my network.  New card, openhab talks, nothing else will. 

Last night I decided to try a DIFFERENT raspbian so downloaded raspbian -lite....     another hour and NFG also.

I ordered up more mini HDMI cables and such so I can watch what is happening. Whatever it is is unique to me?

It really sounds like it. Assuming the wireless chip in the Zero is not faulty, dry solder or such like, are you getting outside interference possibly. Anything else on the LAN that might be kicking you off or a problem channel between the Zero and your router.

It will certainly be interesting when you receive your HDMI cable and can configure your wireless connection manually locally.

mike

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »

Well rather than wait more, I tried NOOB install; you can do this by adding the wpa file, deleting all but raspbian in OS folderr,  & adding ....don't recall  silent to one of the noob files.

It too did not connect.    almost like my network PW is wrong...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »

Well rather than wait more, I tried NOOB install; you can do this by adding the wpa file, deleting all but raspbian in OS folderr,  & adding ....don't recall  silent to one of the noob files.

I know it sounds annoying at this stage but is there any special characters in your SSID name or password that are not being picked up properly by the config file.

If you haven't already tried it, after you've dropped the wpa supplicant into the /boot folder, try opening it with a different text editor and making sure it is exactly as you created it. I know you say your text editor does the job but is there any chance that it is creating special characters that Linux will interpret incorrectly.

My original thoughts were incorrect credentials somehow appearing in the wpa supplicant conf file and after all your testing it really does point to it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »

I know it sounds annoying at this stage but is there any special characters in your SSID name or password that are not being picked up properly by the config file.

This reminds me of an issue I had. I thought I had set my keyboard layout to US English some how I didn't save it.
my password for some things has a special characters in it since my keyboard layout was not set correctly the correct character wasn't getting put in. It took me several weeks to figure that one out.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »

If you haven't already tried it, after you've dropped the wpa supplicant into the /boot folder, try opening it with a different text editor and making sure it is exactly as you created it. I know you say your text editor does the job but is there any chance that it is creating special characters that Linux will interpret incorrectly.

My original thoughts were incorrect credentials somehow appearing in the wpa supplicant conf file and after all your testing it really does point to it.

all checked many times., read back from new SD cards, no changes, no special characters.

mike

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »

Anyone ever look at the  mem card in linux?  Maybe I should?  I can boot my workshop computer into linux;  maybe I should read the SD card and see if this stuff is in it?

To configure WPA/WPA2, you must create the file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. You can find examples for /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in /usr/share/examples/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. The simplest case is a network, say my favourite network, with a fixed passphrase, say hunter2. For this case, fill your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file with:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={
        ssid="my favourite network"
        psk="hunter2"
}

Then enable wpa_supplicant on your network interface device, say iwn0, by editing /etc/rc.conf to add

wpa_supplicant=YES
wpa_supplicant_flags="-i iwn0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2018, 09:00:12 PM »

Anyone ever look at the  mem card in linux?  Maybe I should?  I can boot my workshop computer into linux;  maybe I should read the SD card and see if this stuff is in it?

To configure WPA/WPA2, you must create the file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. You can find examples for /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in /usr/share/examples/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. The simplest case is a network, say my favourite network, with a fixed passphrase, say hunter2. For this case, fill your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file with:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={
        ssid="my favourite network"
        psk="hunter2"
}

Then enable wpa_supplicant on your network interface device, say iwn0, by editing /etc/rc.conf to add

wpa_supplicant=YES
wpa_supplicant_flags="-i iwn0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

Had I known you had access to Linux I would have suggested creating those two files in Linux with your SD card file system mounted on that system. Saves creating files in Windows and trying to drop them into a Linux file system.

sudo nano in Linux is your best and safest way to create those two files.

Yes I'm fairly familiar with the network setup in Linux. The whole purpose of the pre configured wpa supplicant file is that it saves the novice from having to move around the file structure to figure all that out. All the user has to worry about is getting their SSID name and user password as per their router typed in correctly.

mike

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

Back to play some more after a bit of time off.  Sidetracked with getting my chest cracked open, breastbone removed, put aside, new aorta valve put in, breastbone wired back in, 1.5 weeks ago.  Finally back up and can sit and play on my workbench again...

My replacement mini hdmi cables came in and still no video from the pi - I think the sparking tyook out both  monitors I have with hdmi.  I have a mini hdmi toSVGA cable, but my only monitor that can use it is upstairs in the office and I can't get to it yet.

Left my project  trying to get a plain rasberianPi to install and show on wireless.  I went another week making probably 2 dozen more TF cards with none working.  So back to my one habian that does work.  Redownloaded domoticz on it and it shows up in network.  So will try to install mochad again - last attempts never got a complete install without some fault in the process. 

I would like to try to update my software with 'apt-get upgrade' but so far too I can't get it to work - keeps saying no permission:

[15:29:06] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ apt-get upgrade
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
[15:29:22] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$

I recall being stuck here before my time off period the last few weeks...    googled it and found sudo and it is updating...

now off to finding mochad install schemes again...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.