Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38340 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »

GParted is very useful in Linux. Even works for low level stubborn problems in Windows. I can't count the amount of SD cards I've revived with it. Those stubborn hard to delete partitions particularly.

If I was located near Mike I'd send him a pre installed version of Raspbian Stretch with HG installed on it but customs and other issues preclude this. it's so frustrating knowing that he has everything to "bake the cake" but it's just knowing the "right mix" to achieve it.

'
I can certainly do that. I don't believe customs would be an issue.
The issue would be if mike couldn't view the GUI over a HDMI hook up as a monitor is required initially to setup the wi-fi.
I guess I could input the info prior to shipping if mike was comfortable with suppling that to me via e-mail. That way no HDMI connection would be required and you could use Putty to SSH into the PI for any additional configuration requirements.

I'm outside the USA so it would be a lot easier to do that internally. Not sure what State you're based in but I'm at least 5 hours or more ahead of you guys.  :'

Yes the only way you could supply a plug 'n' go solution without the need for an HDMI monitor would be to have his wireless credentials in advance. Probably a big ask but a definite solution.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »

I'm not in the US but Canada. Since a SD card is under $20 there should be no issue with shipping as there is no weight to it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »

maybe my pi cards need like 3 amps?   I swear the times they worked was with either power just from my pc USB output or a solid UL listed 1.0 amp wall wart...   

my OH ran 100% of the time on the 1.0 wall wart until I broke it...  I did make a image of it while it was working so I could put that back...

but your idea of ps issue still may have merit...   my 1a wallwart makes 4.1 varying to 4.3v & 3.15v on pi gpio pins...   just swapped wart with a good UL listed 2.0 amp from one of my cameras...  solid but still low at 4.81 & 3.28v.   hdmi display still flashing like reset every 3 seconds...   will try other board and then a different power cable...

mike

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »

nothin warm on that card...

next card:  4.90&3.31v...  still resetting hdmi display altho no blinking of LED on pi with the 2.0a wart on either board...

different power cable, same voltages.   I will stick with this pi since it regulates a bit higher.

my new 32gb full stretch is done;  gotta go get lunch, when back will add ssh and wpa file and try it...

mike

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »

well well...  maybe i needed more power as our Canadian friend Tim Taylor says!

my old openhabian is back.  just stuck it in and both OH and Domoticz servers are running and wifi...

gives me hope that afterlunch my new raspbian will work...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »

well well...  maybe i needed more power as our Canadian friend Tim Taylor says!

my old openhabian is back.  just stuck it in and both OH and Domoticz servers are running and wifi...

gives me hope that afterlunch my new raspbian will work...

Told ya not to quit. I knew you'd get there. Now it's time for the fresh Raspbian install.

It should be plain sailing using the headless install with the blank SSH and wpa_supplicant files too now you know what the actual problem was.

Power supplies can cause so many hours of time wasting when troubleshooting unless they can be measured accurately on each leg of input and output.

Anyway, your Raspberry Pi faith has been restored that's the main thing and you can rest easier now. Let's us know how your exploits proceed from here.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »

I believe the Zero W sales page  states to us a 2 amp power supply.
I have read that the zerro will run on as low as 3 volts (not sure what was ment by running  ::) ) but they never mentioned the equired amps.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »

but without keyboard access, I cannot continue on any but my one openhabianthat DOES talk wifi...   

This is the wpa   file I am using:

wpa_supplicant.conf
its text is:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
     ssid="Virus"
     psk="864something-something-someting2C8E"
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

this and the SSH file dissapear from boot after running once so I know they are being processed...

typical hdmi is:

mike

« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »

I have seen a few write ups saying the newer raspbian will not accept wpa_config file if missing a certain line...   it seems that may be my issue...

last boot after reputing SSH and wpa file on before booting ends in display stating SSH is enabled, so I know it is not that one.   butno wifi.

it seems obvious the failures during load are not having internet access - like constant time sync failures and stuff...

I will research and see about adding more lines to wpa file....

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »

I believe the Zero W sales page  states to us a 2 amp power supply.
I have read that the zerro will run on as low as 3 volts (not sure what was ment by running  ::) ) but they never mentioned the equired amps.

I've a load of old phone chargers ranging from 0.5ah to 1.5ah lying about in the event of an emergency but 2ah is usually what is recommended.

So annoying when you think the Pi is booting with the blinking LEDs when in fact it's constantly rebooting. It's definitely a 5 volt input, no more no less.

The only other voltage mentioned is the 3.3 volt on the GPIO rail which bypasses the regulator and is not recommended for usage unless you're technically minded and know what you're doing.

I use a 2ah battery pack with a regulator on my outdoor Pis.

mike

« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »

so now i can see the loading, I see the wifi stuff all failing to load on my 4gb stretcher-lite card...  began googling wpa_supp files again and see many without the line I had:

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

Removed it, replaced wpa and ssh in boot and rertried.  Not a single fault.  but no wifi...

I see 3 statements in loading of disable wifi if country no set...   wondering if country needs quotes around it...  more research and retry...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:59 PM »

Try this wpa file

country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
   ssid="NETWORK-NAME"
   psk="NETWORK-PASSWORD"
}

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »

You're file system is locked owing to broken packages or missing dependencies. It looks like that distribution you're loading is thrashed. Best if you go the fresh install route.

mike

« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »

yes, the full stretch seemed to have micro Sd card issues;  I put it aside - it is too much stuff anyway.  does not help me.   the lite ver is a lot faster to load and when it works it will be minimal and better I think.  I do not NEED local keyboard gui on it...

Attached below is the startup I get on my 4gb stretch lite run.  NO FAULTS at all.

Almost as is it does not like country code US line...

I quit for today but if you see any issues below let me know!

BTW, when I ordered another pi yesterday I paid $ 2.50 more and bought a micro usb to usb adapter so I CAN plug in my keyboard.  I hacked a usb ext cable so I could plut in my usb multiport but it did not work.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »

yes, the full stretch seemed to have micro Sd card issues;  I put it aside - it is too much stuff anyway.  does not help me.   the lite ver is a lot faster to load and when it works it will be minimal and better I think.  I do not NEED local keyboard gui on it...

Attached below is the startup I get on my 4gb stretch lite run.  NO FAULTS at all.

Almost as is it does not like country code US line...

I quit for today but if you see any issues below let me know!

BTW, when I ordered another pi yesterday I paid $ 2.50 more and bought a micro usb to usb adapter so I CAN plug in my keyboard.  I hacked a usb ext cable so I could plut in my usb multiport but it did not work.

Success at last!!!!

Did you login yet.

Login = pi
Password = raspberry

You're there at last.

Don't forget as soon as you're at the prompt type sudo raspi-config and configure everything you need. Also sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. I'd make an image of all that hard work before you start installing anything else.

A long road travelled but a rewarding one in the end. Just think what you've learned on the way. Power supplies are not what they seem >!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:50:21 PM by petera »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.