Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Broadlink RM Pro for X10 with Alexa (Device is unresponsive)  (Read 3814 times)

OLDX10er

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Broadlink RM Pro for X10 with Alexa (Device is unresponsive)
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »

I successfully set up the Broadlink RM Pro to control my X10 devices earlier this year and had it integrated with Alexa.  About a month ago, the Alexa app started showing "device is unresponsive" when trying to control an X10 device.  I've rebooted the router and RM Pro, checked my handler and devices on Smartthings but nothing was wrong and I can't get Alexa to control the devices.  e-control and IHC both work fine and the RM Bridge is still running.  Has anyone else had this problem or more importantly solved it?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Broadlink RM Pro for X10 with Alexa (Device is unresponsive)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »

I had similar issues using the HA-Bridge to send Boadlink commands and found setting up an IP reservation in my router for the Broadlink solved this.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

OLDX10er

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »

If you mean setting a static IP address for the RM Pro I've done that already.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »

if you have the IP for the Broadlink set in your router then restart the rm bridge  make sure what ever the Rm bridge is running on also has its IP reserved.
I stopped using RM bridge as soon as HA-Bridge added support for the Broadlink (one fewer hardware things to get messed up) if an IP or port has changed you smartthings devices handler will not work until the correct IP & port are added to it.
If your router is cappable of loopback you cah manualy try to send a command to the broadlink using the ip& port in your devicehandler.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

OLDX10er

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »

I have static addresses for both the RM Bridge device and the RM Pro.  Smartthings is logging the Alexa requests but the RM Pro doesn't seem to be getting them.  I did find that my externally accessible IPV4 address had changed but correcting it did not solve the problem.

Something odd is happening at Smartthings.  I edited my handler this morning but when I just logged in again i had no handlers and no devices.  I logged out and back in and my handler was back but no devices.  I really don't want to recreate all of my devices do I'll wait awhile and see what happens.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »

Over the weekend..... I loaded a new skill and device on/thru my [amazon] Alexa app. About the same time/day..... I got new upgraded-updated Alexa app. However all went well with the new device/app.

I quickly explored the new Alexa app.... but was more interested in learning about the new device.

However...… at bedtime.... my Broadlink controlled TV and set top box (cable box) failed to work. I wondered at the time if this could be a "ihc" (broadlink app and skill name) server problem... or maybe a conflict within the new Alexa app. I had other commitments for my time so I used the (manually handheld) remote to control both the TV and cable and waited for some free-time.

Yesterday I deleted both the phone ihc app and the amazon skill and removed the devices from my Alexa app.

Today... I enabled the ihc skill on-line. Then followed the dierections found there on setup. Then I readded the devices in my Alaxa routines..... and all works well... once again.

To be honest..... I had NOT realized how much I enjoyed and used the broadlink device within my automation setup. It isn't my 1st voice control for TV. Years ago... I had a remote that had built-in voice control. And my MS enabled BVC had an IR accessary that gave me TV remote control (via a PowerMid). But the Broadlink is excellent! I really enjoy it.

I am now temped... to try setting up X10 devices through the Broadlink-ihc-Alexa setup.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:52:42 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »

I control my X10 through the broadlink about the same amount as through my WM100 or CM15 pi combo. It is always nice to have a backup controler option.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:29 PM »

I control my X10 through the broadlink about the same amount as through my WM100 or CM15 pi combo. It is always nice to have a backup controler option.

My thoughts exactly.

Although currently.... I primary use a [Homeseer's] Hometroller and Alexa to control my X10. I also have a couple macros that live and function on a (spare) CM15A. Which also allows me to control the Home Theater through my Harmony remote (using a IR-543). Of course I still have a couple Palmpads laying around too. The WM-100 makes my phone the ultimate remote..... and a great back-up as well.

The broadlink is already Alexa controlled.... and since I recently moved my most complicated macro to the cloud (using both the MyQ and Wink hubs.... instead of working from/on the Hometroller or a CM15A)….. The Broadlink RM pro device could probably replace the Hometroller.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.