Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Connecting xpf 20amp wired in filter  (Read 2918 times)

rufunky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Connecting xpf 20amp wired in filter
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »

I just purchased an XPF 20 in-line filter due to my security cameras and NVR causing issues with some of my lights.

I have a 4 gang box next to my electrical panel that I would like to filter. Do I have to install this in the electrical panel or can I install it outside of the panel next to the 4gang and just mount it to the wall? If so, is there a wiring diagram for this type of setup?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Connecting xpf 20amp wired in filter
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:24:56 PM »

Because of insurance regulations you should probably check the local electrical codes. You may want to get a liscenced electrician in on the fun.
Do you have room in the box for the filter?

From a connection standpoint only:The filter would go on the output of one breaker (20 amp limit) White wire ties to the neutral buss in the box. Black wire gets tied to the output of the breaker feeding the circuit you want to filter and the Red wire gets wire nutted to the original (black) wire that was connected to that breaker. BTW no X10 will work on that circuit after installation. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rufunky

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »

Because of insurance regulations you should probably check the local electrical codes. You may want to get a liscenced electrician in on the fun.
Do you have room in the box for the filter?

From a connection standpoint only:The filter would go on the output of one breaker (20 amp limit) White wire ties to the neutral buss in the box. Black wire gets tied to the output of the breaker feeding the circuit you want to filter and the Red wire gets wire nutted to the original (black) wire that was connected to that breaker. BTW no X10 will work on that circuit after installation.

Thanks Dave. So it doesnt look like this was meant to be installed the way I described above? By room in the box, are you refering to the electrical panel or gang box?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »

So it doesnt look like this was meant to be installed the way I described above? By room in the box, are you refering to the electrical panel or gang box?
Your description had many options (panel or gang). So not sure how to answer.

You can not put the filter on the input to the gang box. Since the four gang box has four active breakers, if each breaker is 15A then the box can feed 15 amps per breaker, times four, or 60 amps. So, you *could*  pull as much as 60 amps through a 20 amp filter. Saying that, that would allow the smoke to come out of the filter would be under stating the fireworks.

Appearently (or if) one breaker feeds your cameras and recorder (assumed from your description). The filter would electrically go between the breaker output and the wire feeding the cameras. I can't help with the physical location. Electrical code *might* allow you to mount the filter in which ever box the camera power feed is located in, if there is room. I guess that is a home work assignment for you, or the licensed electrician.

If your cameras are fed from multiple breakers you can not use XPF20. Would be better to use an XPPF on each camera and recorder.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 06:03:12 AM »

Your description of four gang box could be a taken in a few ways.

As pointed out. If it has four breakers in it. Then it can't have its input filtering all four.
If it is a empty four gang box. Then the XPF would fit into it as it is specified as needing a three gang box.

If you can describe the setup. We should be able to help.

If the noise is on the X10 120KHz signal frequency. Then an XPNR would not work. If it is above and below the X10 frequency. It might help and it is wired directly across the offending load.
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/specialty-devices/filters/xpnr-noise-reducer.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:37:34 AM by Brian H »

rufunky

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »

Your description of four gang box could be a taken in a few ways.

If you can describe the setup. We should be able to help.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Basically, I installed a 4 gang box and filled it with 4 receptacles (outlets) to accommodate my Security Camera system, alarm, refrigerator as well as the various power tools I may use in that area. The only other thing besides those outlets that are on that circuit is the ceiling lights for that room ( which I could easily move to another circuit if I had to)

Here is a picture of the setup. https://ibb.co/n6QJTU
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:39:47 PM by Knightrider »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »

I edited your post to fix the link. Hope you don't mind.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rufunky

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »

I edited your post to fix the link. Hope you don't mind.

Not at all, Thank you! The forum doesn't let me post links yet as I'm a new member.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »

Not too sure about posting links requirements. You are now listed as a Jr. member and not a Newbie.

I doubt the XPF would fit into the breaker box.

Not sure of your local electrical codes. You may want to consult with an electrician.

You maybe able to mount a metal junction box close to the bereker box in the photo. Big enough to hold the XPF.
Remove the cable from the outlet box and run it into the junction box.
Then run a new piece of cable to the outlet box from the junction box.
Black from the breaker box cable to the Black of the XPF.
White from the XPF, White from the cable to the outlet box and White from the breaker box cable.
Ground from the breaker box cable, ground from the outlet box cable and the ground screw in the junction box.
Black from the outlet box cable to the red of the XPF.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »

Thanks to Brian H, and apologies to rufunky . I was interpreting the "four gang box" as a small, four breaker, sub panel. Should not have tried to read in, something that was not there.

rufunky

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »

apologies to rufunky . I was interpreting the "four gang box" as a small, four breaker, sub panel. Should not have tried to read in, something that was not there.

Ohh, got ya. I wasn't sure if maybe I just bought something with expectations beyond its capability. No harm done, thanks for the effort :)

rufunky

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »

You maybe able to mount a metal junction box close to the bereker box in the photo. Big enough to hold the XPF.
Remove the cable from the outlet box and run it into the junction box.
Then run a new piece of cable to the outlet box from the junction box.
Black from the breaker box cable to the Black of the XPF.
White from the XPF, White from the cable to the outlet box and White from the breaker box cable.
Ground from the breaker box cable, ground from the outlet box cable and the ground screw in the junction box.
Black from the outlet box cable to the red of the XPF.

Ok, I think I got this :)

rufunky

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »

I drew a diagram of how I connected it, everything seems to be working but just want to double check. And I figured the diagram could help someone else to better understand how to wire the XPF for use in this application.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »

Looks good.

rufunky

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »

Looks good.

Thanks again for the help  >!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.