Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you be interested in such a thing?

Yes
- 5 (62.5%)
No, I'll build it my self or would never use it
- 0 (0%)
Don't care one way or the other
- 3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: The Pi Alexa X10 Hub  (Read 25951 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: The Pi Alexa X10 Hub
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »

Here's the new dmesg file that I ran after unplugging and plugging in the CM-19A to the OTG hub. I really appreciate the time and help.

brobin

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »

Until I need to use the KB/mouse again I've replaced the OTG hub with a simple adapter. I'd run dmesg again without the hub but I can't do that till I set up SSH  B:(

I might be able to do that later tonight.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2018, 08:37:45 PM »

It's late here so I'm finishing now.

What I do suggest is that you disconnect the hub and plug the CM19a directly into the Pi Zero and run dmesg and paste the output. Do all the unplugging when the Pi Zero is powered off.

Clearly with your current setup the USB Vendor ID is not correctly identified and will not bind to a valid COM port. In fact its reporting as a mouse which clearly is useless. You are now up to 7 USB devices connected which is a sure sign of problems.

Hubs do work but they need to have reliable chipsets and that hub you are using doesn't act like one of them. Keep things simple until you have a reliable connection and operation of your CM19a

brobin

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »

Ah HA! I have NOT been powering down when plugging/unplugging into the USB hub. Perhaps that's causing some confusion.  On the bright side, it's now been running and working without issue for 24 hours without a hiccup.  Next up: learn how to add SSH/VNC and implement so I can put the KB, mouse and hub away for good and then run dmesg again.  I have a book and will try it tonight.  I do have a backup of everything as is.

brobin

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:48 AM »

Well, getting VNC and SSH working was easier than I thought it would be. Just 15 minutes to do both.  :)% Still a LOT more to learn but it's easier than learning Fortran was in 1968!  ::)

I've attached the latest dmesg file after a fresh reboot with the CM-19A plugged into an OTG adapter without the hub.  Thanks again for looking at it.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2018, 06:17:25 AM »

...it's easier than learning Fortran was in 1968!  ::)

The hardest part was shuffling all those punch cards.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2018, 07:47:11 AM »

Well, getting VNC and SSH working was easier than I thought it would be. Just 15 minutes to do both.  :)% Still a LOT more to learn but it's easier than learning Fortran was in 1968!  ::)

I've attached the latest dmesg file after a fresh reboot with the CM-19A plugged into an OTG adapter without the hub.  Thanks again for looking at it.

Ok you're CM19a has been detected and correctly identified

[ 1.521744] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc7, idProduct=0002
[ 1.521769] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1.521782] usb 1-1: Product: USB Transceiver
[ 1.521792] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: X10 wireless Technology Inc

The kernel OTG device driver being used by the USB hub is struggling to manage the i/o of your USB devices. There is quite a few errors in the dmesg to this effect. I reckon the hub chipset is not properly supported by the kernel

What you really need to do is power off, remove the hub completely, plug the CM19a directly into the Pi Zero and then power up the Pi Zero. No keyboards and no mouse. Then paste the results of the dmesg and the lsusb. Also type lspci and paste the results of this too.

brobin

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »

The 'report3' file that I attached was done withOUT the OTG hub but I saw that too and wasn't sure what to make of it. I did that after rebooting with nothing but the CM19, power and HDMI cable plugged in but I'll run it again without the HDMI cable which I don't need now. Photo shows current setup with my trusted assistant, Mr. Bill.  Also I received the OTG hub w/Ethernet as shown in the ZDnet article so I'll run dmesg with that config too for comparison. 

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »

Ok. So you have a new hub now.

Do you have an image taken of your SD card before you started experimenting with it. The reason I ask is that you have a number of kernel drivers registered with your system that may need to be removed manually in order to get your system working normally.

brobin

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »

I haven't plugged in the new hub yet but will in a few minutes. The last dmesg (report3) and this one attached, report4, are both with NO hub as pictured in my last post. I noticed that while a hub is still reported, it is a 1 port rather than a 4 port. It appears the OTG cable pictured is seen as a 1 port hub.  I'll try with a different OTG cable too.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »

I haven't plugged in the new hub yet but will in a few minutes. The last dmesg (report3) and this one attached, report4, are both with NO hub as pictured in my last post. I noticed that while a hub is still reported, it is a 1 port rather than a 4 port. It appears the OTG cable pictured is seen as a 1 port hub.  I'll try with a different OTG cable too.

See my post above about manually removing kernel drivers/modules.

This type of behaviour is a result of how the kernel was handling your USB devices via your OTG hub. It's possible that you will have to manually remove the offending drivers/modules if they are still showing on boot up.

Could you confirm if you have an image taken of your SD card before you started experimenting.

brobin

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »

The attached dmesg, Report5, is with a different brand OTG cable and no hub.  Next up will be with the new hub.

brobin

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »

I did take an image two nights ago but that image was with the 4 port hub in place.

brobin

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2018, 03:33:28 PM »

And now, Report6, taken with the new powered 3 port hub w/Ethernet.  This hub will not work without power (I tried).  I am powering the hub with the same power supply as before. The pi's power cord is unplugged and the hub is powering the pi.  BTW, the CM19a is working with all configurations so far.

brobin

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2018, 03:49:12 PM »

...it's easier than learning Fortran was in 1968!  ::)

The hardest part was shuffling all those punch cards.

...and waiting two days to see the results!  The punch cards were replaced by paper tape in the following and my final year of HS. Still a two day wait though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.