Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are x10 light switch dimmers reverse or forward phase cut dimmers??  (Read 1210 times)

rufunky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Does anyone know if x10 dimmers use reverse or forward phase-cut dimmers??

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Are x10 light switch dimmers reverse or forward phase cut dimmers??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »

Did some web searches on Forward and Reverse phase cut dimmers.
Forward uses Triacs or SCRs in their electronics and delay turning On the AC from the Zero Crossing of the AC waveform.
They have a coil in the output to slow the fast switching of the AC when the triac is turned on. To lower the EMI produced.
X10 uses Triacs so they are Forward type.

rufunky

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »

You are the man Brian! I wonder if the coils in the cheepo x10 switches like the ws467 can be swapped out in these with a toroidal filter like whats used in 2477D SwitchLincs to lower the EMI noise.  -:)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:23:55 AM »

I would expect the coils inductance would be part of the dimmers design. I am not sure how the one in a 2477D would work.
Kind of an expensive adventure as the 2477D is over $50.00 these days. Unless you catch a sale. Like the 30% off one last Memorial Day.

I don't know if the X10 coil may have a different value but I have seen the same looking coil. In the Lamp Modules, Wall Switches and even the XPPF filter.

I can tell you the coil in the older 2476D and Icon line 2876D had a hardware revision value change. To reduce the chances of some loads flickering. Maybe buzzing though memory is not clear on the buzz.  :'

rufunky

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

I would expect the coils inductance would be part of the dimmers design. I am not sure how the one in a 2477D would work.
Kind of an expensive adventure as the 2477D is over $50.00 these days. Unless you catch a sale. Like the 30% off one last Memorial Day.

I don't know if the X10 coil may have a different value but I have seen the same looking coil. In the Lamp Modules, Wall Switches and even the XPPF filter.

I can tell you the coil in the older 2476D and Icon line 2876D had a hardware revision value change. To reduce the chances of some loads flickering. Maybe buzzing though memory is not clear on the buzz.  :'

As far as I can tell the only value concern would be the amps but I am not 100% on that.

The plan wasn't to rob a 2477D of its parts just rob it of its design decisions as it is a higher quality unit lol.
I figured ebay, mouser, digikey could put one in my hand for a reasonable price.

Anyway, I like to tinker with things and I happen to get a few of these units on the cheep.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.