Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WM100 External Trigger  (Read 2247 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
WM100 External Trigger
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »

All X10 devices in our home are currently controlled by our Ocelot.  I thought of a couple of supplemental functions the WM100 could do, but they require it responding to an incoming X10 command.

While cloudy days are rare here in the desert, this year we had quite a few during the monsoon season.  The Ocelot does a good job tracking sunset, but some lights could come on earlier when it is cloudy.  We have X10 floodlights that can issue an X10 command when it is getting dark, and I would like to have that trigger a sequence of WM100 commands to turn on interior lights earlier.

Of course that is easily done by modifying the Ocelot program, but I thought it would be a simple task to make the WM100 useful.  But it appears the WM100 will only respond to commands issued by the cellphone app - and then ONLY when the remote server is on-line.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: WM100 External Trigger
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »

I had asked for this option early in the development of the WM100. We've all now seen how slow the developer is at getting things done in this app & this is not the first developer used on this project.
Sadly the wm100 turn out to be a glorified remote tied to the cloud. If we can possible hack the ESP chip used in the wm100 daughter board I've sure we can get the WM100 to do a lot of things the community is looking for from this.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »

I think it's more complex. You need Android/iOS apps that can address the local router both locally and via a DDNS like NoIP when away from home. In fact, part of what the Alibaba server is doing is to function like a DDNS.

When at home it's App->Router->Cloud->Router->WM100.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »

I think it's more complex. You need Android/iOS apps that can address the local router both locally and via a DDNS like NoIP when away from home. In fact, part of what the Alibaba server is doing is to function like a DDNS.

When at home it's App->Router->Cloud->Router->WM100.
True but the WM100 does see X10 PLC from other devices no cloud needed and timers don't need the cloud to function.
The chip from my reading and understanding is capable of doing local and or cloud control the local control just isn't enabled on the WM100 daughter board.
I suspect if local control were to be enabled the WM100 would work simular to the Sonoff local control enabling turning on/off devices, rooms & scenes just not adding new devices, timers, rooms, or scenes ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »

True but the WM100 does see X10 PLC from other devices no cloud needed and timers don't need the cloud to function.

Yes, the fact that the app recognizes when I turn a device on or off with the PalmPad means the WM100 daughter board is receiving those commands over the powerline.  But the limited firmware provides no capability for using those incoming commands to trigger a response.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »

I don't have (or need) a WM100 but looking at the pictures Tuicemen has posted, it appears that the connections from the mother board mostly connect to the Arm MCU - plus timers, macros, etc. will be stored in the 8-pin EEPROM which also appears to connect to this MCU - and the ESP8266 itself appears to connect to the MCU. I think reverse engineering things will be a very difficult and lengthy process.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »

I think reverse engineering things will be a very difficult and lengthy process.
Yes, but hopefully we won't need to I suspect once the developer suspects they may lose all advantages over Authinx  they may step up to the plate.
I opened up a wijit HUB today and as suspected it uses the same chip however I don't believe it has a upgradeable firmware among other things
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.