Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Is it out again?  (Read 20901 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Is it out again?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »

It's of very little use posting this here, but we need full 256 access, and addons units that communicate with the willie.

RF, open collectors, temperature. We don't need a PRO unit. Just make addon units. Can this crap with using a web server to make them talk, it's not necessary. 

I'm not saying can the netserver, just don't make it a requirement. To this, we can add voice control and everything nice.

The cart was put ahead of the horse on this.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »

http://www.appdig.com/ocelot.html

About 20 years ago, I came across the CPU-XA, bought one and reviewed it favorably on Usenet's comp.home.automation. Shortly thereafter, ADI contacted me to thank me for the review and let me know that they were replacing the CPU-XA with the Ocelot. They sent me an Ocelot when it was available and I reviewed it. I also pointed out a few issues with their implementaion of X10 which they corrected. They sent me a Leopard when that was introduced and I also gave it a positive review.

The Ocelot is still hard to beat, especially when paired with the XTB-523 although there may a bit of a learning curve in that it uses ladder logic which is a bit obscure these days.

Finally, it is easy enough to add control via the Internet if desired.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:02:32 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »

The cm15a, although poorly built, would still be viable had it not been due to the recklessness of the previous programmers and the previous incarnation of the company we call x10.

Last I checked, Alibaba was a  Chinese based company and our country's relationship with that country is strained right now.

I don't care about global politics where my home automation is concerned,  and sure as hell dont need to worry about a server being pulled in an attempt to retaliate for some action pulled that's above my pay grade.

I'm an isolationist in regard to my HA, and will open up my access as I see fit.

With the current setup, I have lost this aspect of control.

My initial review calls the WM100 a fancy remote control, and I'm still disappointed it has remained so.

I can't blame Authinex for this mistake, as they're in a learning state, but can suggest improvements and hope they listen.

To ignore the user base posting here would be reckless in the same vein as X10WTI.

X10 isn't necessarily a proprietary technology, and there are still options, but expense is a drawback.

A+ for the new company in its hardware attempts for quality.
D- for software (at this point)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

Maybe Jeff is right. I probably need Stargate or Ocelot. 
Take a peek at Homeseer 3.0  or one of the Homeseer dedicated controllers. https://homeseer.com/ Also check out the plug-ins for the software. Not cloud dependent. Drop down, and drag and drop "Event" creation with complex conditionals. Interfaces with Alexa or Gargle. Can be configured as a server. Create custom, highly detailed, screens for tablet based touch panels or phone with the additional "Designer" software. It is really pretty neat. My biggest gripes are: 1. when Homeseer 1.0 came out, X10  was the only remote control interface. Homeseer would not exist if not for X10. But they have abandoned support for X10 in favor of Z-Wave and the cloud/hub based devices. 2. Cost. I think HS3 and especially HS3 Pro are way overpriced. But they do have periodic sales.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »

……..  All I need is electricity for my house to be fully automated.
Tuicemen helped me set up Alexa for X10 control.  It was pretty neat, but I found that we didn't really use it other than to demonstrate its capability to others.  Palmpads are more convenient and faster.

So how do you get your palmpads to tell you whats on TV, Who made what movies (or what movies feature what actors), what time rain is expected, how many days till Christmas, play your music, help you select a side dish with dinner, etc.???

Lighting is a very small part of most peoples lives. And now-a-days.... with 7 watt LED light bulbs why even bother to ever turn the light off?  I mean.... talk about penny's a day!

It doesn't bother ME... if you chose to limit your automation setup to lighting control. But there is so much more that can be done with this stuff. I guess it is fair to call lighting control... home automation. But by todays standards... I really think most people expect more.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:58:24 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2018, 07:45:39 PM »

The cloud has so very much to offer home automation. How can people turn their backs on this?
I can if the HA is cloud dependent.
Big storm last night (you got it also) and cable provided Internet and phone went down last night around 9PM and did not come back until 12 hours later. If we had a home full of WiFi lights and appliances driven by Alexa, all home automation action would stop. I know on the table lamp there is a little black key thing, but I can't remember if it gets turned, or pushed in.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:50:34 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »

Take a peek at Homeseer …………….. Cost. I think HS3 and especially HS3 Pro are way overpriced. But they do have periodic sales.

I use Homeseer. It works. It is everything it needs to be.... except X10 is no longer fully embraced by Homeseer. I don't like knowing that my X10 is only supported by a volunteer (although he IS an exception individual).

Currently... there is no perfect solution. 

I decided.... that trying to keep the old setup the same as in-the-old-days... would be an old warrors mistake. We can't fight yesterdays battles (those days are past). I decided that I needed to re-imagine my setup and build something new. This isn't easy... but I believe it is the only way forward. Everything else is struggling with the past.

HA Dave

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »

…... if the HA is cloud dependent.

Big storm last night......

Yes we all have storms. But short of a power failure... even cloud serviced setups work just fine with local control.. mine does.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »

I think the general consensus is that the cloud is fine as an ancillary, we just dont want to have to depend on it.

I'd be up ____ creek if I counted on the cloud to turn on my tv.

I wouldn't want my thermostat sending temperature readings through the cloud to tell my HVAC what to do either. Now if I could use the cloud to change its settings, that would be fine.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

And I do occasionally use the cloud to set my dvr.

Think about this: my data is unlimited, but after 22gigs, I get throttled.  I see no need for x10 commands to add bytes to this limit. I have a 3 day old grandson in the NICU at Cincinnati and can think of way better uses for the datum.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2018, 10:01:44 PM »

So how do you get your palmpads to tell you whats on TV, Who made what movies (or what movies feature what actors), what time rain is expected, how many days till Christmas, play your music, help you select a side dish with dinner, etc.???

In my mind there is a difference between home automation and entertainment.  We still get the TV guide in the mail to know what is on and when.  Our Tivo takes care of anything that we might want to watch.  If it can't access the web we can program it manually.  To watch something that was on TV, we just scan through what is stored on the Tivo.  No web access is needed.  Sometimes it bitches about having lost web access, but the programs are still there.

We do need web access for Netflix steaming, but there is a much better selection that arrives in our mailbox twice a week.  And then there is our library of hundreds of DVDs if we ever have time to watch them.

Rain?  Ha!  We live in the desert, and often go months without a drop.  That's why irrigation is so important.  TV news still carries the weather, but I do check NOAA when scheduling a hike.  We have a calendar on the refrigerator that has our commitments for the month written in.  My music is on CDs or flash drives, but Cathy does listen to Pandora on Alexa.  That can be a problem because there have been several times that Alexa couldn't access the web.

Cathy also takes care of our meals without needing web access.  Most recipes were copied from cookbooks or magazines that she subscribes to, but some were printed from the web.  In spite of getting her a tablet so she could access her recipes electronically, she still prefers paper copies.

Lighting is a very small part of most peoples lives. And now-a-days.... with 7 watt LED light bulbs why even bother to ever turn the light off?

Even with LED lighting, it does add up with all the ceiling cans and landscape lighting.  And lighting levels have to vary depending on what activities are going on.  Who would want their house all lit up when they were trying to sleep?

Now what I DO use the web for is news, ordering stuff, customer support, and helping other X10 users.

[/quote]
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2018, 10:45:49 PM »

I wouldn't want my thermostat sending temperature readings through the cloud to tell my HVAC what to do either.

You HAVE to realize... it doesn't work that way. Anything that can use the Internet via your router... will use the router for LOCAL control... when you are local.

Now if I could use the cloud to change its settings, that would be fine.

Yeah... if your in a area of the home not easily accessible to the your thermostat you could make your HVAC changes from your phone.... or merely tell a digital assistant (Alexa or google). And that would remain local.... staying within your routers firewall. But say it's 10 below zero... and you get stuck out of town... your could dial the heat back... via secure cloud settings. 

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2018, 10:51:46 PM »

You HAVE to realize... it doesn't work that way. Anything that can use the Internet via your router... will use the router for LOCAL control... when you are local.

And you have to realize that's not how the WM100 works, which is why it's a clunker.

That quote is kind of the point of this entire discussion.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2018, 10:54:14 PM »

Disconnect your cable line, but leave the router on. Try to use the WM100.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »

In my mind there is a difference between home automation and entertainment...…... 

Well that's great. I thought that very same thing... not all that long ago. But there has been a paradigm shift in the last few months. And whereas your opinion is as valued and respected as they come.... neither your, mine, or the total sum of all the old geezers on this forum carry any measurable weight..... when compared to the 50 MILLION new AI Home Automation users.... and product purchasers. 

The old paradigm's melt as quickly as ice cream on a hot day. And AI is now absolutely a huge part of Home Automation... especially the parts linked with everyday activities and entertainment. That... is where the market place is. Those 50 MILLION Alexa users are the people buying products TODAY to use in their Automation setups. If you're selling product to this new current market of AI HA users.... business is good. But honestly... I don't understand how you could market products you don't use or see value in. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.