🔌General Home Automation > Troubleshooting Automation Problems

Properly wirirng XPCP passive coupler to breaker board

<< < (3/3)

brobin:

--- Quote from: dave w on September 18, 2018, 06:07:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: brobin on September 17, 2018, 12:32:20 AM ---  At about 4:30 one morning we were awakened by what sounded like a gunshot.  Scared the crap out of us! 

--- End quote ---
Yeah, besides using a 500 or 600V cap, it needs to be rated for AC (X class).

--- End quote ---

Indeed it was. It was made by Panasonic specifically for bridging the powerline legs.  Figured I'd "do it right" with a cap rated for the job instead of the Sprague orange drop ones that I had used without issue for years.  My mistake was putting it on a breaker for the AC condenser instead of a less demanding load.  The startup draw on the condenser was too much for it I guess.

mikeythemars:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on September 16, 2018, 09:22:16 PM ---I'd just slide some single pole breakers around till I had a double pole space available.  What you propose can be done, but probably shouldn't. Fire investigators look at such things, even if such a configuration had nothing to do with a fire.

--- End quote ---

Because our 200 amp board is pretty much already full (the only open slot left is a sole single pole one), I ended up removing an existing dual pole GFI 30 amp breaker that was connected to a pump on a spa bathtub we have in an upstairs bathroom, (no one in the family has used that spa feature in years). I replaced that breaker with a 20 amp dual pole one, which is connected solely to the XPCP. If for some reason I decide in the future that I want to reactivate the spa, I'll bring in an electrician to add a small sub panel to handle it. I've heard inspectors here frown on feeding a sub off a breaker on the main board and the way my late 1960s GE breaker board is designed, tapping into the main leads on it is tricky, so I'd leave that up to a pro.   

brobin:
You mentioned you have one slot left in the panel (I'll assume it's a t the bottom). If there is a single breaker in the slot above it and another above that one, you could use a "cheater" as pictured earlier to eliminate the breaker in the slot above the open one.  Then you'll have two open slots to put your spa back in service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version