Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Server Outage Log  (Read 27500 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Server Outage Log
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2022, 09:20:48 AM »

This points out the need to ask where a cloud based service is hosted.  Several product descriptions I've seen for cameras tout the fact that their cloud based services are hosted on AWS which, presumably, is as reliable as it gets. 

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2022, 01:33:58 PM »

This points out the need to ask where a cloud based service is hosted.  Several product descriptions I've seen for cameras tout the fact that their cloud based services are hosted on AWS which, presumably, is as reliable as it gets.

Even AWS had a couple of outages in December 2021, but they are definitely one of the most reliable. When I first got the WM100, there were several outages in Fall of 2018 that lasted a few hours, since then, only a handful of outages and they were less than an hour.  I guess this 48 hour outage is making up for a good three years of outages.

arizona480

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2022, 01:38:17 PM »

The downside to cloud based services and it’s not unique to X10 servers. All the more reason to choose a local control option.
Cloud based servers do have there benefits, but they also have downsides.
Users that wish to use any cloud based service should expect disruption from time to time. Sadly more often then not it is when you don't  wish it.
A local control option is nice to have even if you only use it as a backup.
Luckily local control is possible with X10. :)%
 >!
Eggsactly, it's good to dust off that old 16 device remote control every once an awhile and take control!

roger hachey

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 10:14:55 AM »

Still no fix? Tried connecting my hub again no connection as yet.

gkamieneski

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:37 AM »

Glad I am still running my CM15a in redundancy. I did have to pull my WM100 as it was somehow still sending out commands in the middle of the night. I'll wait till I see an all clear here before plugging it back in. Hopefully, all I will have to adjust is the time and i don't lose all my devices and schedules.

When this first happened I thought the problem was on my end and I tired to reset and/or setup the module. It never let me connect from my iPhone, so I assume its coding is intact.

This is a long time to solve a cloud server problem. Makes me doubt that AWS is being used.

brobin

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2022, 11:20:28 AM »

Still no fix? Tried connecting my hub again no connection as yet.

This may take awhile  B:( :

UPDATE 2: 1/6/22 7:13AM CST:
We are very sorry for the delay in restoring the WM100 servers.  We were informed the hosting company had infrastructural issues that needed repair.  Due to the inability to resolve the issue in a timely manner and without a clear timeframe on when the issue will be resolved, we are migrating our servers to another host. 

We understand your frustration and are trying to get these servers online as quickly as possible.  We do not want to overpromise the timeframe. Please bear with us a little longer as we migrate hosts and set up parameters to avoid issues like this in the future.

As usual, we will post any updates we have to the issue here as soon as we receive information.

JimWise

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2022, 02:13:52 PM »

In the meantime, for those of us who had power blips or unplugged our WM100 units trying to troubleshoot before learning of the X10 server issue, does the internal clock start at a specific day/time/timezone when plugged in? 

I have tried plugging my WM100 back in at noon and at midnight, but the timers my WM100 run seem to still be triggering at unexpected times.  Since they run my outdoor lights I have not caught when they triggered so so far I have not been able to figure out the timing offset.

arizona480

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2022, 02:29:45 PM »

In the meantime, for those of us who had power blips or unplugged our WM100 units trying to troubleshoot before learning of the X10 server issue, does the internal clock start at a specific day/time/timezone when plugged in? 

I have tried plugging my WM100 back in at noon and at midnight, but the timers my WM100 run seem to still be triggering at unexpected times.  Since they run my outdoor lights I have not caught when they triggered so so far I have not been able to figure out the timing offset.

One of the flaws with the WM100 is it requires one of your devices for timekeeping as it does not have it's own timekeeping.  So it should pick up the current time once you open the app and their is a green "connected" light.  My devices have been going on and off at weird times.  When I travel across time zones, I get that annoying "do you want to sync your device time with the base unit?"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 02:33:07 PM by arizona480 »

brobin

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2022, 02:47:57 PM »

Hope this all gets sorted for you guys soon.  If not, you do have better alternatives.

roger hachey

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2022, 03:22:55 PM »

What are better alternitives?

brobin

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2022, 05:59:24 PM »

What are better alternitives?

The solution a growing number of us here are using is a Smartenit Harmony P2 with a bundled Insteon 2412U PLM.  At $75 for both it's an economical solution that not only gives you Alexa skill supported control of X10 but an app and a sophisticated automation controller with email and text notifications.  I've been using it for almost 3 years and it's rock solid.  It's basically what X10's WM100 should have been but for a lower price and better functionality.

It's virtually plug 'n play so you can be up and running 30 minutes after you open the box.  Everything is done through an Android/IOS app or web portal.  In addition to X10, you can also use it to control Insteon and ZigBee devices should you ever wish to.  It has it's own real time clock and does sunrise/sunset calculations based on where you live.  There have been no server interruptions in the time I've had it and the company and support are in the USA.

The P2 does need to be plugged into an Ethernet port on your router or switch.

https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/

If you order be sure to click the selection to include the 'Add Insteon/X10 powerline only PLM.' bringing the total to $74.99.

Feel free to ask any questions. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:57:58 PM by brobin »

roger hachey

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »

Thanks will check it out

gkamieneski

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »

Seems that the X10 module is out of stock and is also priced much higher.

brobin

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »

Seems that the X10 module is out of stock and is also priced much higher.

When I asked about that I was told that they've reserved a supply for bundling with the P2/G2.  But you cannot order the PLM alone.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2022, 06:21:01 PM »

Another option is the Homegenie software option it runs on windows, mac, linux or raspi. If you already have a cm11,cm19, cm15 or cm17 you can control any x10 device remotely.
There are also other multi Os software options that will cost you nothing if you have one of the above mentioned hardwares. It is also possible to add Alexaor google control to those options if you wish.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.