Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One more reason to avoid clouds  (Read 2072 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: One more reason to avoid clouds
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »

This is a serious concern, but the following quote struck me as amusing...

Two of Elemental’s biggest early clients were the Mormon church, which used the technology to beam sermons to congregations around the world, and the adult film industry, which did not.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »

I feel confident that the Cyberdyne Systems new Skynet cloud monitoring software will keep us all completely secure.  :)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:40:48 PM »

Murdock had his Sky Net satellites up there for years now.  So far, I haven't heard of any self-aware content being disseminated.  NSA has their own Skynet that actually monitors and uses machine learning to decide who should be targeted by drones for...corrective action.  I suppose if that system is not monitored, we are already past judgement day.   :'

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »

... I suppose if that system is not monitored, we are already past judgement day.   :'

I myself.... stand ready and willing to both support and serve our robot overlords.

My neighbor has a pacemaker that connects and reports... wirelessly... that keeps him happily alive. Computer aided hearing and even vision... are with us as well. Cyborg-like technology... has turned out to be a Godsend. It now appears that James Cameron is really a creative genius.... being able to make something so beneficial seem.... scary. 

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »

My grandmother has a pacemaker that talks to a "Hub" in the house that, in turn, connects wirelessly to a doctor's office and can be monitored and adjusted from miles away. Thank goodness it works locally without an Alibaba server or she might not still be with us.

(Okay, I know that's over the edge. I'll stop bashing the WM100's M.O. today)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »

My grandmother has a pacemaker that talks to a "Hub" in the house that, in turn, connects wirelessly to a doctor's office and can be monitored and adjusted from miles away. Thank goodness it works locally without an Alibaba server or she might not still be with us.

A cyborg in the family? Cool. How do you know (for certain) that it doesn't share the same servers as the ones leased by Alibaba?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »

Because I know it runs autonomously without the cloud. It's a good design. It uses the cloud as an ancillary.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »

…….  It uses the cloud as an ancillary.

So then.... it actually could be using the same servers as the ones leased by Alibaba.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »

I readily doubt that. I shall examine the device and report back, but I readily doubt that.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 05:59:38 AM »

And again, it doesn't rely on the cloud.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 05:24:09 PM »

And again, it doesn't rely on the cloud.

Rely on vs use? My laptop doesn't "rely on" the Internet/cloud.... but I didn't mail this post in either. All the cloud is... are the same old servers we've always used... with additional permissions and software. It's a natural evolution of computers and information sharing. As processor and hard drive speeds have gotten faster... it creates capabilities that can be exploited to benefit the users. NOTHING has actually changed. The anonymity.... that was once assumed by many Internet users... never existed. And nothing has changed.

This "cloud" technology is essential to our nation, our prosperity, our children's future (I am NOT joking). We can't afford to let any nation to get ahead of us on this.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »

I readily doubt that. I shall examine the device and report back, but I readily doubt that.

Well don't forget that servers don't really have addresses... such as "whatever.com". Servers have numerical addresses. The DNS servers that our browsers send our Web requests to... convert/look-up the "whatever.com" address and assign the (hopefully) correct numerical address. So.... "whatever.com", whoever.com, and however.com could all live at the same exact server farm.... and none of their managers/owners be aware that they are... neighbors.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:50:48 PM by HA Dave »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »

So.... "whatever.com", whoever.com, and however.com could all live at the same exact server farm.... and none of their managers/owners be aware that they are... neighbors.

Yes, and that causes a problem for those of us who share the same server farm with a spammer.  My business email address has been blocked numerous times because of this problem.  It runs on a shared server here in Utah.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »

.. that causes a problem for those of us who share the same server farm with a spammer. My business email address has been blocked numerous times because of this problem.  It runs on a shared server here in Utah.

I think I can pretty much guarantee that EVERY server farm hosts business that at one time or another may be considered... less-than creditable. Often times low-volume/small businesses have security problems unique to that part of the digital industry. I am sure your vendors business consultant helped you out... or would be willing to if asked.

It's just like everything else. Small businesses require the owner/operators to wear many, many hats. Often times... expertise has to be hired, or contracted.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.