Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ODROID C0 and X10  (Read 2819 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
ODROID C0 and X10
« on: October 06, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

The ODROID C0 is a SBC simular to the PI however this is a true DIY board as you have to solder on the USB ports as well as other things from a $2 Connector Pack kit. it also doesn't come with on board Wi-Fi or an ethernet port.
I decided to play with this as an experiment being it was a bit more powerful then the Pi 3B+ and it would fit inside a CM15 very nicely.
There are several Linux distributions available for this but I went with the default image available for it.
I added a mini USB Wi-Fi dongle and installed Mochad with Domoticz which perform well with my limited testing thus far. Hardkernel does sell other ODROID versions that come with pre-soldered USB and Ethernet ports and some even more powerful but these have a larger foot print which most likely wouldn't fit the space available in the CM15A.

There are a few draw backs I encountered:
1- this is limited to two USB port One is required for the Wi-fi and one for the CM15A however these are full sized ports so no adaptor is required. I required a USB hub to set this up as I hard wired the CM15 directly to the board using up a USB port.
2- The SD card location. for me this requires opening the CM15 to access it. However on the Plus side you can use a eMMC instead of the SD card which will provide faster read/writes
3-No ethernet port however this can be overcome with a hub or maybe an expansion card (neither will fit in my CM15)
4-Not really a draw back but this uses a barrel plug for the power supply and this is sticks out more then I'd like. I prefer the Mini USB type power port the Pi uses.

Some Positives:
1-this has a Real time clock you just need to connect a battery
2- this has a port to plug in a battery backup which the ODROID charges while plugged into an outlet( though this would be tight to fit in a Cm15 with the ODROID)
3- The Connector Pack Kit (CPK) comes with the option to solder a one or two port Full sized USB jack I used the single port.
4-the CPK comes with a couple of headers to solder in if needed (I never installed any)
5- the board comes with a special spot to solder in a IR sensor which the USB kit comes with (I will add this at some point )
6- this has a power switch on the board and if battery backup is install still allows it to be charged if switched off

Time will tell how this performs compared to a Pi 3B+ but for X10 and my HA setup this should suit my off grid requirements nicely.
I'm not fully committed to any particular X10 software as yet however I may load this up with HomeGenie as that's what is on the PIs.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: ODROID C0 and X10
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »

I assume you are running Armbian Stretch Minimal on the Odroid C0. Which blob are you using.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »

I'm running the Armbian_5.38_Odroidc1_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.10.107_desktop image
I need the desktop version here at the Off grid place ( if that's where it stays).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »

I'm running the Armbian_5.38_Odroidc1_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.10.107_desktop image
I need the desktop version here at the Off grid place ( if that's where it stays).

You're mad into the Desktop versions. I reckon that's from your years of immersion in the Windows world 8) Would it be just easier to SSH into your remote Odroid unless you're running something that really requires a desktop.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »

You're mad into the Desktop versions. I reckon that's from your years of immersion in the Windows world 8) Would it be just easier to SSH into your remote Odroid unless you're running something that really requires a desktop.
rofl yes I am. Initial setup is just easier with the desktop version however I do SSH into it for other setups.
Also if this stays at my off grid place the Desktop will be required for streaming.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

rofl yes I am. Initial setup is just easier with the desktop version however I do SSH into it for other setups.
Also if this stays at my off grid place the Desktop will be required for streaming.

Have a look at this. I used it a while back for streaming from a Terminal session. I can't remember why I used it but it might do away with the need for the desktop http://livestreamer.tanuki.se/

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »

Thanks I'll check it out.
Most streaming is done from a specific web site so not sure this will work without knowing the exact url of the stream. Opening a browser from the terminal may be a better option as a Browser is used all most as much as streaming, it saves having to fire up my laptop.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 06:39:18 PM »

I've been experiencing Domoticz going off line and only a reboot seems to get it back working.
So I figured it is either my wi-fi module or the OS. since I don't have another Wi-Fi dongle here at the off grid place I figured I'd try another Linux version. After writing the new image nd inserting the SD I realized I don't have my USB HUB so I can't setup the wi-fi B:(
This time I install Ubuntu 18.02 full and I rather like it so far but do I keep trying Domoticz or stick with my tried and true HomeGenie setup ::) :'
This Image comes with Kodi already installed so it is set for streaming. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »

I've been experiencing Domoticz going off line and only a reboot seems to get it back working.
So I figured it is either my wi-fi module or the OS. since I don't have another Wi-Fi dongle here at the off grid place I figured I'd try another Linux version. After writing the new image nd inserting the SD I realized I don't have my USB HUB so I can't setup the wi-fi B:(
This time I install Ubuntu 18.02 full and I rather like it so far but do I keep trying Domoticz or stick with my tried and true HomeGenie setup ::) :'
This Image comes with Kodi already installed so it is set for streaming. ;)

A full Ubuntu desktop on the Odroid may well tip it over. 1gb ram really is at the upper limit. Try running a few applications to test it first. If you really do need a desktop try Linux Lite or Lubuntu.

Just reading back on the OP, you soldered on to a USB port. Are you sure your power metrics are correct. Sounds like your wifi could be labouring power wise, hence the line dropping. Run dmesg and see what the kernel is reporting. Keep on eye on the TTY console when booting.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »

I doubt it is the WI-FI as I can still SSH into the ODROID .
The Ubuntu full I'm testing now was designed for the ODROID so it most likely has some tweaks done to it.so it isn't so demanding.
I'll throw my Armbain SD card back in and run some tests with it connected to the HDMI and see if when Domoticz goes off line if it is still actualy running on the ODROID.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.