Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WM100 snooping  (Read 4896 times)

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
WM100 snooping
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:39:22 PM »

I am assuming that the WM100 continuously watches for unit codes so that it can update its on/off table.  Is this correct?

I ask because I am trying to debug an exterior flood, connected to a wall switch, that just started coming on at random times.  When I see the light on, I check the WM100, and the random "on" status is never captured in the log.  However, when I turn ithe flood on/off from an app, or palmpad, or the wall switch itself, the WM100 captures the action correctly.

So it appears that there may be transmissions that the WM100 doesn’t see,  but that doesn’t make sense.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: WM100 snooping
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »

Assuming there's no motion detector on the flood lights what kind of bulbs and which model switch do you have?

ceedee

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »

Assuming there's no motion detector on the flood lights what kind of bulbs and which model switch do you have?
WS467. No motion detection.  Two incandescent floods. I’ve had this switch installed for over 10 years, with no issues.  I have no problem if it’s failing, but surprised that the WM is missing the ON command.  Weird!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:14:31 PM »

I’ve had this switch installed for over 10 years, with no issues.  I have no problem if it’s failing, but surprised that the WM is missing the ON command.  Weird!

The ON command is missing because it is likely that powerline noise is causing the switch to turn on, not an actual X10 command.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:53:48 AM »

I could be wrong but from long ago I seem to remember that failing bulbs could cause problems like this. Maybe a loose filament causing local control activation.  You might try a new pair and/or different brand of bulbs in that fixture to eliminate them from consideration.  Is the Housecode M?  Being all 0's that one is the most prone to false activity.  Any new phone chargers plugged in or other new electronics?

ceedee

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »

I could be wrong but from long ago I seem to remember that failing bulbs could cause problems like this. Maybe a loose filament causing local control activation.  You might try a new pair and/or different brand of bulbs in that fixture to eliminate them from consideration.  Is the Housecode M?  Being all 0's that one is the most prone to false activity.  Any new phone chargers plugged in or other new electronics?
Arg...I figured that it was noise.  I’m constantly plugging in phones, etc., but nothing significant has changed in awhile.  As you all know, tracking down the culprit is a PITA. I did add the WM a few months ago, but I’m sure that’s not it.  I will change the bulbs and see what happens.

Thanks to all.

PS - the floods are "L6"

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

I could be wrong but from long ago I seem to remember that failing bulbs could cause problems like this.
I have seen lose bulbs cause this also. I have had incandescent bulbs back their way out of a socket enough to flicker and turn ON.  But two lose bulbs seems like would be improbable, so I'll go back to sleep now.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ceedee

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »

I could be wrong but from long ago I seem to remember that failing bulbs could cause problems like this.
I have seen lose bulbs cause this also. I have had incandescent bulbs back their way out of a socket enough to flicker and turn ON.  But two lose bulbs seems like would be improbable, so I'll go back to sleep now.

Bulbs are tight.  I’ll swap them out.  I have a bunch of old incandescents from swapping in LEDs elsewhere.

ceedee

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »

Bulbs are tight.  I’ll swap them out.  I have a bunch of old incandescents from swapping in LEDs elsewhere.

The lights behaved themselves since my last post, but I was having trouble using my palmpad to control them, so I swapped out the switch, and set it to another unit code just for yucks.  Some time between 10pm and 5am last night they turned on.  Nothing in the WM100 history.  I have had this setup for 20 + years with no issues. Now I will swap the bulbs...it’s all that’s left to do, I guess.  Unless my PR511 is in a funk.

ceedee

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »

New bulbs.  We’ll see.   However, I now think my PR is in a funk, unless the WM100 is being weird.  I turn on "L1" at dusk via my PR511.  At dawn, the WM sometimes captures "L1 off" and sometimes "L9 off"...difference of one bit.  Noise perhaps or....

I’m programmatically turning off L1 in the late evening, so it doesn’t matter, but I wonder if the flakiness is contributing to my other issue.

Ahhhh, technology!

The lights behaved themselves since my last post, but I was having trouble using my palmpad to control them, so I swapped out the switch, and set it to another unit code just for yucks.  Some time between 10pm and 5am last night they turned on.  Nothing in the WM100 history.  I have had this setup for 20 + years with no issues. Now I will swap the bulbs...it’s all that’s left to do, I guess.  Unless my PR511 is in a funk.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »

New bulbs.  We’ll see.   However, I now think my PR is in a funk, unless the WM100 is being weird.  I turn on "L1" at dusk via my PR511.  At dawn, the WM sometimes captures "L1 off" and sometimes "L9 off"...difference of one bit.

I had a PR511 occasionally stop responding to its programmed code.  It was the common oxidized switch problem, so try spinning the code wheels a few times.  I eventually retired that PR511 because something shattered the motion detector lens in the windstorm that lifted a couple of concrete tiles off our roof.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

ceedee

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »

New bulbs.  We’ll see.   However, I now think my PR is in a funk, unless the WM100 is being weird.  I turn on "L1" at dusk via my PR511.  At dawn, the WM sometimes captures "L1 off" and sometimes "L9 off"...difference of one bit.

I had a PR511 occasionally stop responding to its programmed code.  It was the common oxidized switch problem, so try spinning the code wheels a few times.  I eventually retired that PR511 because something shattered the motion detector lens in the windstorm that lifted a couple of concrete tiles off our roof.

Jeff

Thank you, sir.  I am on the case.  It’s mounted on a gable side of the house, faces north, and is not protected from the weather.  I guess I should be happy that it lasted this long!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:28:43 AM by ceedee »

ceedee

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 01:27:35 PM »

Jeff

Thank you, sir.  I am on the case.  It’s mounted on a table side of the house, faces north, and is not protected from the weather.  I guess I should be happy that it lasted this long!

Gave the dials some good turns and exercised the switches.  All good for a couple of days, but they were back on this morning.  I just can’t narrow down what might be doing it. One suspect is the dawn "lights off" action from the PR, because I don’t see the floods on at night.   As I mentioned before, nothing in the WM log.

I may just deactivate the 467 via the slide switch, and move on to another crisis.

PR511 is L12, set to motion, with L1 and L2 on at dusk. L1 and L2 are turned off by WM100 later in the evening.  The dawn sequence on the PR effectively does nothing. The problem child is L11, which is not programmed or part of the PR dusk sequence.   I have tried other codes on the problem flood, and recently changed out the WS.

ceedee

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »

Activation of  the WS467 switch "at the switch" is not recorded by the WM100. I don't see the action(s) in the log, and the "on/off" icon does not change color.

I’ve moved the WM100 all around; no change.  I’ve also tried three 467s. Same.

I’m punting.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »

Like most X10 modules. The WS467 has a power line receiver in it and no power line transmitter.
So locally changing its state will not send any information back to the WM100 and it will not know you changed it.
So what you are seeing is correct.

Some of the Insteon modules that still can accept a Primary X10 Address in them. Will send information back onto the power lines that the WM100 or other X10 controller like the CM15A may see.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:37:24 PM by Brian H »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.