Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your X10 Setup-What do you have-what do you need  (Read 4387 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Your X10 Setup-What do you have-what do you need
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »

Just reading through recent posts and particularly the ones on the WM100 I was curious to know what X10 setup users had. I was particularly interested in what X10 devices and controllers people are using.

As you are probably aware there are alternative ways to control your X10 devices outside the AHP/Windows world and I'm trying to discover what users would like to see from these alternatives. How would you like to enhance and extend the functionality of your X10 setup.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Your X10 Setup-What do you have-what do you need
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

I currently have 22 lamp modules LM465, 6 Appliance Modules LM466, 2 Socket Rockets LM15A, I use two Radio Shack Mini Timers 61-2670, a RS Mini Controller Pad 61-2677C, A stick-a-switch SS15A and the WM 100.  All this in a 868 ft2 apartment. 

I also have the Radio Shack Security 49-2551A with an extra console in the Bedroom with 4 DS10A Sensors, 2 DS12A Sensors, 2 Motion Detectors (Radio Shack Branded), and a partridge in a pear tree.

I currently use an Arlo Security Camera aimed over the Main Security Console so I can see what zone is tripped from afar.  So if x10 produces a WiFi security system, then it would replace needing a camera that setup. 

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »

I currently have 22 lamp modules LM465, 6 Appliance Modules LM466, 2 Socket Rockets LM15A, I use two Radio Shack Mini Timers 61-2670, a RS Mini Controller Pad 61-2677C, A stick-a-switch SS15A and the WM 100.  All this in a 868 ft2 apartment. 

I also have the Radio Shack Security 49-2551A with an extra console in the Bedroom with 4 DS10A Sensors, 2 DS12A Sensors, 2 Motion Detectors (Radio Shack Branded), and a partridge in a pear tree.

I currently use an Arlo Security Camera aimed over the Main Security Console so I can see what zone is tripped from afar.  So if x10 produces a WiFi security system, then it would replace needing a camera that setup.

I assume your WM100 replaced the CM15a or some other controller. Does your WM100 cover all your X10 controller needs. I've read comments like "it's just a glorified remote controller"

arizona480

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »

I assume your WM100 replaced the CM15a or some other controller. Does your WM100 cover all your X10 controller needs. I've read comments like "it's just a glorified remote controller"

I never had anything other than the mini timers for scheduling on/off devices.   With the WM 100, I like the scenes, so I can turn off and dim lights to go into movie mode or some other setups I have for multiple devices, I can now schedule more than 2 on/off times for devices including separating days of the week vs weekends, and the dusk/dawn control is now fixed and wonderful.  And I can go above the 8 device limit on my plug in controllers (or 16 for the old remotes).  So I say the functionality of the WM 100 is everything I want especially for the $100-120 price tag. 

The issue has been is needing a third party server for actual control and keeping that online and healthy as there have been a few times it has gone down on us.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »

I have like most long time users have more modules, remote, cameras,& controllers then in use.
I have X10 setups at two locations both run CM15A controllers as well as WM100s
 My original thought with the WM100 was for it to replace my CM15As and required PC. The device limitation of the WM100 isn't a concern to me  the lack of RF control is. As well the use of the cloud server is not a concern thought of no backup local control is.
I've since embedded a SBC into my CM15As although a connected PC did the same thing this has reduced the power requirements.
Since the WM100 uses the same power as a CM15A using it over the CM15A/SBC combo is a 5volt 2amp power difference.
The Power difference isn't a big deal except at my off grid place during winter months when every amp counts.

My wm100s basically serve as glorified remotes allowing me to turn things on/off from anywhere with my phone. This can also be done with my CM15As SBC combos, so in reality the WM100s are redundant for me.
More info on my setups and a bit of history of their development can be found in the Automated Home Showcase section of the forum.
City residence here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=15710.0
Off grid country place here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=15710.0

What do I need for my setup? In reality, currently, nothing. What do I want for my setup?  There is always something I can dream up rofl thats the cool thing with HA it is always advancing. Even my solar panels at the off grid place track and follow the sun and one solar array is able to tilt in high winds to limit stress on the mounts. My SBC & software (HomeGenie) is smart enough to do this automatically for me via Wi-fi.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »

I'm purely a lamp and appliance module man when it comes to X10. I've always found them to be fairly rock solid. Instead of abandoning them I managed to integrate them into a bigger home automation project. I could have opted for the likes of ZWave and it's mesh networks which come at a higher price both in dollar terms and technical know how investment but are the fashionable way forward.

I was purely trying to gauge the extent of X10 ownership/usage. I gather there are a quite a few users that have programmed their CM15a with macros and timers and have left it in the corner untouched for years. No doubt they are a satisfied bunch of users. I was more interested in the users that wanted to develop their usage beyond that level but still wanted to protect their X10 investment and felt let down with the shortfall in the WM100.

Reminds me of the dialogue in iRobot movie between Detective Del Spooner and Doctor Lannings hologram.....my responses are limited......you must ask the right questions  :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »

I have numberous X10 switches, appliance modules, a few Socketrockets, Floodlight, and still three lamp modules (as LED lighting have made them less useful). I also still use an X10 Security console. Although that console may soon be replaced (as was the x10 camera setup) with something a bit more modern.

Besides the WM100... I have two CM15A's. One CM15A is connected to a HomeSeer Hometroller and serves as a mere interface. The Hometroller does all the processing, controlling, and alerting. The other CM15A runs as a stand-a-lone unit running a small number of macros.

I also run other flavors/brands of Home Automation products. I use two brands of WiFi (6) modules that do NOT require any kind of “hub”. These devices work off a iphone app... but are mostly controlled  by a [cloud based] schedule, and/or Amazon Alex controlled.

I have 3 Amazon-Echo devices. Two of the puck-sized devices and an older large device (better for playing music). I also have one Amazon remote device, that works well in noisy areas (I keep it in the Home Theater). I also use a IR [broadlink] device which allows Echo-voice controll of the living room TV. These Amazon-Echo devices also pair well with my HomeSeer-Hometroller. This gives me voice control of my X10 devices.

In the Home Theater, I use an X10 IR to X10 PLC device plus powermid devices, along with an older Harmony remote control (push "watch a movie" button... and select the movie) The Harmony remote program controls all the lighting and all IR devices. In the Theater I use a CAT6 connected multimeda [streaming] BlueRay player, plus a Roku device, and a HDMI switching amp. I also use a similar BlueRay steaming device in the kids room. And an Apple TV device in the living room, plus a simple Blue Ray player.

I use a Chamberland MyQ garage door opener. Which is WiFi connected and automated with it's own proprietary hub and phone app. I also have one MyQ light module. I have/use a Wink hub. The Wink Hub allows me to intergrate my MyQ Hub through the Wink Hub (avoiding a direct garagedoor Echo-voice connection). The Wink Hub also intergrates my ihome modules and one Cree Wifi bulb (still in testing) and all other modules with garage door activity. I also use a Mighty Mule driveway electromagnetic sensor.

I recently acquired a (older model) Roomba but have yet to integrate it into my setup. So as-of-now... it is a manually started robotic device. I hope to soon automate all my rechargeable devices..... and include a IR "clean" command for the Roomba (it returns to the charger on it's own).

What I'd like to see..... is a modern version of a CM15A. The Internet is here to stay. Yet localized control has advantages as well. It would be nice to see the power of a CM15A that can connect with all platforms/OS's (maybe with a Web Page Interface). That can run through IFTTT (Alexa/google), phone apps, and be connected at home, away, and with the car, or run stand alone (and WiFi connected). I see Home Automation heading in the natural direction of a HALO-type virtual companion. Although I don't imagine a single voice/personally soon. I do see a small group of "virtual interfaces" that connect the user to the devices. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:46:44 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »

I was more interested in the users that wanted to develop their usage beyond that level but still wanted to protect their X10 investment and felt let down with the shortfall in the WM100.
Given my massive stockpile of X10 devices I always look to X10 for a solution to a HA idea I come up with. I too wish to protect my X10 investment however there are situations where X10 just will not work. :( These I've found are few and sometimes I found alternate solutions had bigger drawbacks and less reliable.

I believe the number of WM100 satisfied users is low. Initialy this module sounded like the next logical step for X10 however slow software app developement has kept this module from realy shining.
Having dabbled in software developement I know what is possible. The Hardware side of this WM100 has a few more limitations then what was initialy expected but these don't currently affect what I wish to do in my setup (At least not at my off grid place.)
So my dissapointment in the WM100 is from the app (sofftware) developement and not the hardware (module)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »

I have numberous X10 switches, appliance modules, a few Socketrockets, Floodlight, and still three lamp modules (as LED lighting have made them less useful). I also still use an X10 Security console. Although that console may soon be replaced (as was the x10 camera setup) with something a bit more modern.
I still use several lamp modules even with LED lighting though I never did use the dimming functions much and still don't.
I even use LEDs in my X10 flood lights.
I also use x10 security consoles at both locations and have managed to expand their usefulness with a Broadlink RM and software on a PI
Authinx is developing a new Wi-fi security console however since I can already arm/disarm my DS7000 via my phones wi-fi I doubt this will offer anything above what I can currently do with the old units.
I do expect I will eventually move to this new unit once my DS7000s finally die.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »

I still use several lamp modules even with LED lighting though I never did use the dimming functions much and still don't.

I've never been a dimming fan myself. But the use of the DS7000 almost requires lamp modules (and/or socketrockets, for flashing).

Other than than.... lighting control [automation] has become ambiguous..... with the wide variety/selection of flavors/brands. Even the 4 year old grandchild has learned to voice control lighting and music selections. And can tell the driveway alarm from the garage door alert. I want MORE SMARTS for my setup.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:48:43 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

arizona480

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »

I also use x10 security consoles at both locations and have managed to expand their usefulness with a Broadlink RM and software on a PI
Authinx is developing a new Wi-fi security console however since I can already arm/disarm my DS7000 via my phones wi-fi I doubt this will offer anything above what I can currently do with the old units.
I do expect I will eventually move to this new unit once my DS7000s finally die.
 >!

So if I use this here along with an app they provide I could arm/disarm my Security Console? 
https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Automation-Universal-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B01GIXZDKO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539103856&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=Broadlink+RM&psc=1

Or is there another piece I would need?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:20:31 PM by Tuicemen »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »

It will see all X10 RF signals you teach it so if your Security console is X10 then Yes!.
If it is another brand it is doubtful, but maybe.
Setting up the security codes does take a bit as the learning RF range is short so it may take a few attempts. Also it depends on the firmware the Broadlink comes with. Some firmware will not auto find the newest and you need to request the newest version.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

arizona480

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »

It will see all X10 RF signals you teach it so if your Security console is X10 then Yes!.
If it is another brand it is doubtful, but maybe.
Setting up the security codes does take a bit as the learning RF range is short so it may take a few attempts. Also it depends on the firmware the Broadlink comes with. Some firmware will not auto find the newest and you need to request the newest version.

For less than $40 and same day shipping, I'll play with it.  Does it learn off the remote?  Is it just for arm/disarm or does it actually do something with the signals from the sensors as well?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »

It learns signals from any X10 RF transmitter.
I've not tried to learn a Door/Window or Motion sensor but I suppose it is possible. Remember this only sends what it learns it doesn't listen for these RF signals, the receiver has a very short range and must be put into learning mode to see the signals.
I have mine setup to turn on  or off the TV and sat receiver.
 As well I learned the DVD player which I've yet to turn on since :o ::) :'
This also integrates well with Alex as Dave pointed out though I can activate and deactivate the security console via Alexa I don't.
 The Panic button I also thought I would possibly use but luckily to date No one has needed to.
This also works well with the new Wijit (none x10) RF modules Authinx introduced.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »

The X10 I use is mainly controlled by system events from the main home automation setup. Macros and timers in the shape of the CM15a are not really required. Automation events give such a wide variety of choice on how all the different technologies can interact with each other.

Personally I wouldnt have any need for an enhanced version of the WM100. Any facilities it currently offers or is likely to offer is easily achievable with a single board computer, the relevant software and an X10 controller like the CM15a or the CM19a.

Yes they could do with an improvement in signal transmission but the trade off in self customisation and flexibility far outweighs anything an enhanced WM100 could offer.

As a basic controller I imagine the WM100 with its stronger signal transmission would make sense for the 310mhz 110v world though.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.