Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Does X10 control from a Raspberry Pi excite you?

Yes! The possibilities are endless. Full automation here I come.
- 16 (76.2%)
No. It's way too complicated.
- 2 (9.5%)
Meh
- 3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: X10 on the Raspberry Pi- Is it of interest to you  (Read 8184 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 on the Raspberry Pi- Is it of interest to you
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »

I'm not sure if a Pi Zero W would fit inside one of Jeff's modules but they will work with a Pi.
Virtually all Linux x10 Software can use the Heyu driver which I believe works with it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 12:00:48 AM »

I ordered an Echo Plus. The Plus has a built-in Zigbee hub. That.... along with my Wink Hub, the MyQ Hub, a Broadlink [IR] RM pro Hub, and the Homeseer Hometroller (the small one) with the X10 plug-in [software DL] and a connected CM15A…. gives me voice and integrated control of just about all popular protocols.

I'll also be installing a new WiFi (phone APP) based Security alarm.... that will also work with Amazon or Google based AI voice control.

I originally installed my X10 to remotely control my Home Theater lighting. I didn't like having to turn on the theater... get up and turn off the lights... and then set back down. PLUS... I knew remote lighting control would add a "Wow Factor" (this was 2003). Using a Harmony/Logitech remote and an X10 IR543 (IR to X10 PLC)…. the theater has always worked flawlessly. So... at least for now... the theater (and maybe a couple other lights) will remain X10 lighting controlled.

And.... even though the theater works fine even without a CM15A or the Homeseer Hub... I will retain both. And... I will remain interested in a Raspberry PI freeware Hub as well.   
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »

For those interested in the RPi and HA software options, it looks like HomeSeer offers the HomeTroller software as a stand-alone (without buying their controller box).  Since the box is a RPi in a branded enclosure, you should be able to use any RPi that is compatible with their version of the OS.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs3-pi-3-home-automation-software-for-the-raspberry-pi-3[/img]]

I'm not advocating this option as I've never used it, but a lot of people do seem to like it from reading posts around the internet.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »

The Homeseer Image seems to be for the 3b and will not work in my zero W or 3b+.

I'm also looking at creating a image specific for the low cost Pi Zero W which will be free.
Although it will be intended and geared for X10 users, it will allow other protocols.
See: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30555.0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »

For those interested in the RPi and HA software options, it looks like HomeSeer offers the HomeTroller software as a stand-alone (without buying their controller box).  Since the box is a RPi in a branded enclosure, you should be able to use any RPi that is compatible with their version of the OS.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs3-pi-3-home-automation-software-for-the-raspberry-pi-3[/img]]

I'm not advocating this option as I've never used it, but a lot of people do seem to like it from reading posts around the internet.

I'd agree with you but for a couple of reasons. Firstly it's last on the list to get an update software wise. You're restricted to what version of software the supplier decides to issue and there's very little scope to step outside "the box". ie restrictions on how many plugins you can install.

Typically, a classic problem which dogs owners of this unit is one you've experienced before with Homegenie. It's the version of Mono included with the box. Just one recent post of many which stops the user from availing of email notification. Sorry to post the link but this is an example of the above with no resolution from the supplier https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/system-software-controllers/hometroller-zee/1248580-having-trouble-getting-e-mail-to-work

In fairness for what you get for your money here there are cheaper more capable alternatives out there in the open source world that with a bit of work could have you up and running with X10 control

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »

The Homeseer Image seems to be for the 3b and will not work in my zero W or 3b+.

I'm also looking at creating a image specific for the low cost Pi Zero W which will be free.
Although it will be intended and geared for X10 users, it will allow other protocols.
See: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30555.0

As I mentioned above I doubt they have a working version of this software for the Raspbery Pi 3+ yet. It's lagging behind their flagship product Homeseer 3 Standard/Pro. You might want to try it on a Pi2 or Pi2+ to test drive it.

Don't forget the supplier does not officially support X10 on their product anymore.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »

My email notifications stopped working months ago again.  I'm sure it's due to mono not supporting the current certificates since that's what caused the problem last time.  Since Gene is apparently updating HG to use the current mono, I should probably get things updated so I can have my notifications back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.