Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your thoughts on HomeGenie?  (Read 6884 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Your thoughts on HomeGenie?
« on: October 30, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »

Now that my beginner guide for installing HomeGenie has been posted for a while now.
I'm wondering did anyone besides HA-Dave actually try HomeGenie with a PI?
Did you use my step by step pi install?
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30427.msg174845#msg174845
I know there are long time users of it here on the X10 forum and they must like it or they would have moved on.
If you haven't tried HomeGenie as yet I invite you to give it a test run.
It will run on Windows but is so much better on the Pi seems more stable then when I tested on Windows (Given that was years ago).
Even if you run HomeGenie on a Windows or Linux PC, or other OS I'd love to read your thoughts on it.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Your thoughts on HomeGenie?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »

I couldn't agree more Tuicemen.

For anyone using it or intending to use it let Tuicemen and others share your experiences. It really is a very credible alternative to what is on offer now. Even the WM100 users would benefit greatly as that unit appears to have fallen short of expectation.

Any CM15 or CM11 owners are already half way there. A Raspberry Pi kit is all you need and a couple of hours of your time and you should have a very feature rich X10 Hub.

It's got to be worth your while joining in now.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »

Now that it has been identified what the best route to go with the Pi Hub project those who wish to join in will require the following hardware

1. X10 Controller (CM15 and CM11 are fully supported. CM19 should be fairly soon)
2. Raspberry Pi Zero W plus power supply mini USB type. 2ah or larger recommended
3. Micro USB to Full USB female OTG cable (for plugging in your X10 controller to the Pi Zero)
5. Micro SD card
6. Raspberry Pi Zero case (optional)

Items 2 to 6 can be purchased separately or in a bundle on many web stores.

During this project The Micro SD card will have a copy of Raspbian Stretch Lite written to it and following this a copy of the latest stable version of HomeGenie 1.2 v527 Stable.

There are a number of ways to achieve this and whatever way you choose we will guide you through the process.

At the end of the process you will have a fully functioning X10 controller capable of controlling all of your X10 devices both with direct interaction with the software and by automated scripts including macros and timers. You will have both local and remote access to your X10 Pi Hub directly between it and your chosen handheld device.

As a bonus, you can use the HG Android client to remotely connect to this X10 Pi Hub directly (no need for 3rd party server portals).

Tuicemen has put a considerable amount of time and effort into breathing new life into X10 so I really do suggest you reward him and yourself by trying this out. You won't regret this, believe and you will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:50:10 PM »

Although there are 2 android apps (1 is free) for HG these really aren't needed you can directly access HG via a browser locally. If you set up some port forwarding rules you could use that method anywhere with any device.
My understanding is the paid app has extra features not in HG  :o

While on the PI HUB project topic if you have tried HG and just couldn't get it to install or un properly the SD card will eventually come with it preinstalled and configured with some sample timers, macros, and some other automation possibilities. Since HG has backup and restore function it will be easy to restore your existing HG configuration in the PI HUB if you have a working setup.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »

Although there are 2 android apps (1 is free) for HG these really aren't needed you can directly access HG via a browser locally. If you set up some port forwarding rules you could use that method anywhere with any device.

You'd be amazed how used to the whole concept of Apps people have gotten over the last number of years. As far as I understand even the WM100 users are exploiting one too. Again the original HG App is free so no outlay required here either.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »

I resisted buying the Android app because I don't have a CC associated with my Play account (don't really trust them after HD, Target, etc got my card stolen several times in a year).  I ended up adding it and after using the app can confirm it is significantly better than the free one.  The no cost option allows for remotely controlling things.  The paid version is WAY faster and allows for more details (list of on/off times is one really nice feature not found on the normal web interface).

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 12:59:01 PM »

I resisted buying the Android app because I don't have a CC associated with my Play account (don't really trust them after HD, Target, etc got my card stolen several times in a year).  I ended up adding it and after using the app can confirm it is significantly better than the free one.  The no cost option allows for remotely controlling things.  The paid version is WAY faster and allows for more details (list of on/off times is one really nice feature not found on the normal web interface).

That's interesting. Is it a beta app or a final. Does the standard web UI show the on/off times of devices via the Dashboard.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

Now that it has been identified what the best route to go with the Pi Hub project those who wish to join in will require the following hardware

1. X10 Controller (CM15 and CM11 are fully supported. CM19 should be fairly soon)
2. Raspberry Pi Zero W plus power supply mini USB type. 2ah or larger recommended
3. Micro USB to Full USB female OTG cable (for plugging in your X10 controller to the Pi Zero)
5. Micro SD card

It may be possible to use other Pis with this image since it is built using the zero W it will work in a Pi 3B+ (just tested) and maybe even an older Pi
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »

5. Micro SD card

It may be possible to use other Pis with this image since it is built using the zero W it will work in a Pi 3B+ (just tested) and maybe even an older Pi

Once the Raspberry Pi it’s being installed on is fully updated via sudo apt upgrade you shouldn’t have a problem. Those upgrades include firmware upgrades too. Also don’t forget to upgrade via the sudo raspi-config as that updates the bootloader to the latest version. You’ll see the option on the blue splash screen.

Let’s get installing so :)%

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »

That's interesting. Is it a beta app or a final. Does the standard web UI show the on/off times of devices via the Dashboard.

There is no built-in way to display a list of ON/OFF or other activities on a single module.  You can technically see the same type of details if you look at the activity log (turned off by default).  However, this will include all modules.  I have not looked in a while, but I believe you can filter by string so perhaps you could get a list for a single module, but it won't be formatted as nicely.  Seems like a silly reason to buy an app when it could be included in the main interface.  On the other hand, nothing stops someone from coding up and sharing a HG app and widget that could show this in the HG web UI.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »

There is no built-in way to display a list of ON/OFF or other activities on a single module.  You can technically see the same type of details if you look at the activity log (turned off by default).  However, this will include all modules.  I have not looked in a while, but I believe you can filter by string so perhaps you could get a list for a single module, but it won't be formatted as nicely.  Seems like a silly reason to buy an app when it could be included in the main interface.  On the other hand, nothing stops someone from coding up and sharing a HG app and widget that could show this in the HG web UI.

Personally I've no real interest in Apps but others swear by them. I feel the same about Alexa but others seem unable to exist without it. The web Api does me just fine.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »

The webUI works ok.  I find it slow on my RPi1 but it's a bit faster on the RPi3 I tested.  You can set it up to work remotely so if that's good enough, cool.  I find it formatted better for the phone using that app, but the webUI is certainly usable.

I should also point out that I don't use HA the same as some people.  I have mine mostly for timed and motion sensor lights.  I can turn lights on/off remotely, but I don't do it that often.  The Android App is just a bonus which is why I hesitated buying it (minimal use).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:26:51 AM by bkenobi »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »

Does anyone have both HomeGenie and Homeseer? Not that I would dump Homeseer, but HomeGenie appears very comparable and certainly big time cheaper. Especially if you can design custom control screens for Window, Android, iOS within HomeGenie. With Homeseer that requires a second, not cheap, program (Homeseer Designer).

If someone has both, a comparative review would be welcome.  :)%
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »

I don't have Homeseer but from what I understand your limited to the plugins that will run on their hometroller Not sure if the same limit is there with their Pi Image as I can't test it.
I've not run into a limitation in HG that way. also you can design different screens for say all x10 lights and one for modules and another for security.
as well you can rearrange their locations if that's what your referring to.
HA-Dave did manage to install HG but not sure if he ever did any thing more then that. he does have Homeseers hometroller I believe.
Maybe he has some input on a comparisont.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »

Does anyone have both HomeGenie and Homeseer? Not that I would dump Homeseer, but HomeGenie appears very comparable and certainly big time cheaper. Especially if you can design custom control screens for Window, Android, iOS within HomeGenie. With Homeseer that requires a second, not cheap, program (Homeseer Designer).

If someone has both, a comparative review would be welcome.  :)%

Yes @dave w I've installed HomeSeer on a number of machines for others. It's way over priced (as can be seen in their November sales offer) and to be honest it's a pure Windows offering poorly adapted to run on a Linux platform. it does the job but it's lacking in so many areas. And of course it doesn't "officially" support X10. That would not endear itself to forum users here.

The so called "plugins" game they play shows contempt to the user by getting 3rd party individuals to do their heavy lifting and filling in the functionality gaps left by the principle designer, giving these individuals a shop window to sell their wares and taking a generous cut of the profits.

HomeGenie I imagine was selected principally for its versatility, it's ease of use and of course it is an open source software. Everyone can join in. That ethos in my opinion sits well with the ideals of the forum. The likes of JeffVolp and yourself I imagine would appreciate that.

Such a shame Authinx and it's WM100 didn't adopt that mindset before embarking on their adventure. Had they done so we probably wouldn't even be discussing this subject today.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.