Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Radar Detection Lighting  (Read 11471 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Radar Detection Lighting
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »

Why not? What's holding you back from buying a Hometroller Zee S2 which supports most X10 functions?
Oh, I'm using HS3 now. Also designing custom Android screens for tablets to go on wall.

But:  " zee control seestom ees X10, und must remain pure " . <wink>
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »

A Pi Zero W with HomeGenie or other free open source software will provide Zwave control for under $25  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »

…… What's holding you back from buying a Hometroller Zee S2 which supports most X10 functions? Reasonably priced and sometimes on excellent sale prices. Supports X10 via a plug-in that's free. Ask @HA Dave. You can have your X10 cake and a new fresh cake. Note that z-wave does NOT require an internet connection, it certainly makes it more convenient ……

It was you racerfern that convinced and brought me into the 21st century with your old Hometroller.... which changed my perspective and automation setup... forever. I've had a really nice setup for over a decade. But my setup NOW… is very futuristic. My "next step" will be to add a little geo-fencing (you've mentioned). Which will work with a new Nest thermostat the wife has requested.

Time marches on and we have to march with it. Otherwise, I'd still have my Commodore 64.

I like that! Except.... I had an early Vic 20. I hope you don't mind if I use that as a new tag line. As a CO (and avid X10'er) ... I feel responsible for encouraging others to embrace the new Automation technologies as a way to keep X10 current. It just doesn't make good sense to try to force X10 users to live in a pre-internet 1990's world of Home Automation.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:02:13 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »

It just doesn't make good sense to try to force X10 users to live in a pre-internet 1990's world of Home Automation.
Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Control via the Internet has been possible for 20 years or so as I demonstrated when you claimed it was impossible for my BX24-AHT user to monitor and control his Southern California house from his temporary (but long term) assignment in Eastern Canada. And, you can find multiple instances here where I've pointed users to free DDNS servers such as NoIP which allow remote access even when a user's Internet Provider assigns dynamic IP addresses. All several of us here desire is that type of interface be optional and voluntary rather than be forced to depend on clouds which tend to blow with the winds.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »

It just doesn't make good sense to try to force X10 users to live in a pre-internet 1990's world of Home Automation.

It is neat being able to check on the house while sitting in a motel room with WiFi, but I think it is more important for the house to take care of itself - especially the irrigation in this desert climate - without relying on anything outside other than electricity.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 10:24:56 AM »

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

I completely disagree. Chiding any and EVERY post that even mentions using modern technologies..... like this very post from you I am quoting.... is a perfect example.

Control via the Internet has been possible for 20 years or so as I demonstrated when you claimed it was impossible for my BX24-AHT user to monitor and control his Southern California house from his temporary (but long term) assignment in Eastern Canada. And, you can find multiple instances here where I've pointed users to free DDNS servers such as NoIP which allow remote access even when a user's Internet Provider assigns dynamic IP addresses.

You have me mixed up with another poster. You've done that before. I myself used such servers back in the days of dial-up.

All several of us here desire is that type of interface be optional and voluntary rather than be forced to depend on clouds which tend to blow with the winds.

It's ALL voluntary.... Home Automation can't be anything other than voluntary. But.... by it's very definition... automation implies an escape from manual operation. I like your metaphor of "clouds which tend to blow with the winds". It's cute! But technologically.... not terribly accurate. I've been using Homeseer, MyQ, Wink, and Amazon's cloud servers on my (nation-wide) cable internet connection. And except for a little storm repair of the local cable line (summer before last)… there has only been a couple blips of lost connection in the last 2+ years. Certainly nothing noticeable. The same can be said of my phone connection. I can't remember the last time my cell phone loss connection.

Of course.... not every X10, internet, or technology user will experience the same level of connectivity I have. But then again..... it's not like I live in the worlds High-Tech Hub. I am in the mid-west.... cloud technology is NOT something that may exist in the future. Cloud technology is here now... and it works beautifully (this very post is an example).

But anyone can plug a TM751 into their wall, pick-up a palmpad,… and BAM... 1975 automation right there, right now. I even recommended such a setup for a protentional X10 user.... just the other day. So obviously I am not anti-old school X10 push-button tech.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30585.msg177738#msg177738
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:37:53 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »

…. It is neat being able to check on the house while sitting in a motel room with WiFi, but I think it is more important for the house to take care of itself - especially the irrigation in this desert climate - without relying on anything outside other than electricity.

Or even better..... have the geofencing in your phone and cloud connection see your not home.... and alert you automatically if things aren't as they should be.

As an example:  I like being able to check the status of my garage door when I am away from home. But I love getting notice that the door was left open when I forget it. Once I get the geo-fencing setup.... I will not only be notified... but the door will also close itself.

Jeff has the right/correct idea IMHO. Modern automation isn't remote control or timer control. It's the best technology for the situation taking care of things for us. With or without human input.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:17:30 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »

You have me mixed up with another poster. You've done that before. I myself used such servers back in the days of dial-up.
Perhaps this will refresh your memory...
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=29607.msg166613#msg166613
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »

Perhaps this will refresh your memory...
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=29607.msg166613#msg166613

Yes. EXACTLY as I had posted. I am not sure what your point is... or what you're attempting to accomplish with this banter (if that is what this is).

Yes.... I believe you... the internet, phones, appliances, cars, and other smart devices..... they're all hacked (by Satan himself) and we're all bugged. But... forgive me... I refuse to wear a tinfoil hat... and whisper to my friends while a phonograph blasts in the background.

The available automation technology may not be exactly as anyone here (myself included) would have designed/engineered it to be. But it's what we have to work with. And my intention is to do my best to exploit every ability out there to benefit me the most... period. Because Home Automation is my interest/hobby..... NOT handshake protocol technology. And Home Automation.... IS what this forum is about.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 12:45:29 AM »

While I use the cloud for many things I realize that it's components exist at the whim of those controlling them. Case in point: I had an Alexa skill to operate two MyQ garage door openers. Worked great and was very handy in reducing the "door open" time which is important since I air conditioned the garage this summer.  A few weeks ago I gave the Alexa command and instead of the door closing Alexa said that the skill for that had been deleted and was no longer available.  BOOM, no notice, no alternatives.  While the loss of the skill wasn't a big deal, it does show how little control we have in "the cloud." 
  Being a belt & suspenders type, I already had a control routine in my Stargate to operate a multi-button opener remote and created an X10 trigger to operate it with Alexa.  As long as HA-Bridge or Alexa itself aren't dropped it'll work forever.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »

Or even better..... have the geofencing in your phone and cloud connection see your not home.... and alert you automatically if things aren't as they should be.

As an example:  I like being able to check the status of my garage door when I am away from home. But I love getting notice that the door was left open when I forget it. Once I get the geo-fencing setup.... I will not only be notified... but the door will also close itself.

Wow Dave! I am getting worried about you. It appears you frequently leave your home without setting the alarm, or closing the garage door.  rofl     You might put a Z-Wave lock on the front and back doors also.

I'm only kidding, Homeseer alerts me when I leave our door open also.

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »

Wow Dave! I am getting worried about you. It appears you frequently leave your home without setting the alarm, or closing the garage door.  rofl     You might put a Z-Wave lock on the front and back doors also.

I'm only kidding, Homeseer alerts me when I leave our door open also.

Over the years..... I couldn't count the number of times I circled back... to check that I'd closed the door behind me (auto-pilot doesn't even use short-term memory). When I got the new [MyQ] chamberlain door opener.... I could just check the app. But with X10 and Homeseer... I setup a [phone] email alert. The entire setup was built around a powerflash(?) module and magnetic reed switch (door sensor).

Since then I switched to using the Wink and MyQ Hubs.... and not X10 and Homeseer for this process. I like the idea of geo-fencing automation for this (and some other processes)…. I know some others are using geo-fencing (racerfern) and I am anxious to try it

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »

While I use the cloud for many things I realize that it's components exist at the whim of those controlling them...……….. it does show how little control we have in "the cloud." 

Being a belt & suspenders type, I already had a control routine in my Stargate to operate a multi-button opener remote and created an X10 trigger to operate it with Alexa.  As long as HA-Bridge or Alexa itself aren't dropped it'll work forever.

Whereas.... maybe nearly half of the American general population doesn't even have working smoke detectors..... Home Automation users tend to have alarms, alerts, and back-ups-a-plenty (plus security cameras to document the events).

I am sure.... a large segment of the Home Automation Community... are belt and suspender types.

You're correct about the vulnerability of the cloud and even the free enterprise system... for that matter. Even Amazon and it's skills "scheme" will at some point... become just a memory. None of this new Web/cloud-based stuff will stay the same for long. It is a moving target the will always require attention and maintenance. But then again... can't that be said about any and every thing.

But I am of the belief that control isn't something that can be kept. I [whole heartedly] believe.... that control is only gained by giving it away. I am not saying I am right (or correct) and I certainly NOT evangelizing my belief system here either.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:23:50 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »

@HA Dave - Geofencing is quite cool but will take this thread in another direction so I've emailed you.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »

Over the years..... I couldn't count the number of times I circled back... to check that I'd closed the door behind me.  But with X10 and Homeseer... I setup a [phone] email alert. The entire setup was built around a powerflash(?) module and magnetic reed switch (door sensor).
Pretty much describes my set-up. I took it one step farther. When we tell Homeseer we are leaving. After the door is opened, if it isn't closed in 10 minutes, Homeseer blow the two minute warning piezo alert in the garage and then closes the door. However I like the idea of geo-fencing. I tried it a couple of years ago, but found it unreliable. I had a USB Bluetooth receiver in the Homeseer computer to detect our cell phones when we came home. I think it might have been a bad BT receiver, because it was totally undependable. But I like the idea of a second attempt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.