Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 light switch works manually but is not responding to X10 commands  (Read 5667 times)

mikeythemars

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Just installed a WS467 soft start light switch. It  operates properly when manually turned on or off, but is not responding to any X10 commands sent to it (on /off or dimming}.  I have triple checked the house and unit code settings on the switch and they are correct.  Has anyone else had an issue with these switches functioning manually but not remotely?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

Is it controlling a LED or CFL bulb?  If so that is likely the problem.

The WS467 uses the low-resistance tungsten filament in an incandescent bulb to provide the path for signal return and switch power.  Nether LED nor CFL lights can provide that path.  I hope X10 will begin manufacturing a LED Shunt in the near future to provide the necessary path.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

If you are using LED bulbs.
You may want to try a test. Replace the LED bulb with an incandescent bulb and see if the WS467 acts better. If the WS467 is controlling more than on LED bulb. Sometimes changing one to incandescent helps.

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

I agree with Brian H recommendation. If it works and you are using LED bulbs I have found some brands work better than others. I have had better luck with Cree.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

I've had an Ecosmart Par 30 LED in my dining room light for about 6 years, it responds well to the X10 commands.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

I've had an Ecosmart Par 30 LED in my dining room light for about 6 years, it responds well to the X10 commands.
Yeah, but not all LED's are created equal.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mikeythemars

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

The switch is controlling incandescents bulbs only (two 60 watt bulbs).  Is still not responding to any X10 signal commands sent to it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Try rotating the House and Unit code dials a few times. We mostly see this in older in use switches but sometimes they get dirty and are on a different address than the dials indicate.

You could have a power line signal issue to that location.
Do you have a phase coupler or x10 repeater to get the X10 commands from one incoming line to the other one?

Jeff's Troubleshooting Tutorials may give you some added information.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27

Have you checked the internals of the switch. Loose wiring at the switch mechanism, burnt capacitor or faulty triac. You have local control so I imagine the X10 leg of the switch is faulty. Might be easier to replace switch.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

The switch is controlling incandescents bulbs only (two 60 watt bulbs).  Is still not responding to any X10 signal commands sent to it.
Maybe it is a phase problem. Check the troubleshooting link Brian H supplied. Basically US uses a "split phase" system where two 120V legs come in to the house which are 180 degrees out of phase. 220V volt appliances connect to both phases. If you have the light switch on one phase and the controller on the other phase the X10 signal has a hard time making it from one phase to the other. If you have an electric stove, turn on the oven and use the controller to turn on the WS467. If the light now comes on, you have a phase problem. A coupler/repeater will fix. Under that troubleshooting link, check out the XTBIIR repeater. It is the Cadillac.  X10 makes the XPCR which is good but definitely NOT in the leagues of the XTBIIR.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page

The WS467 uses the low-resistance tungsten filament in an incandescent bulb to provide the path for signal return and switch power.  Nether LED nor CFL lights can provide that path.  I hope X10 will begin manufacturing a LED Shunt in the near future to provide the necessary path.

Since it appears that X10 may not manufacture the LED Shunt, I built another small batch for those who need them to use LED bulbs with X10 wall switches in homes where no neutral is available.  It is a small module (1.6" x .8" x .4") that wires directly across the LED load.  The attached photo shows two of the prototypes.  You can contact me directly for more information.  jeff@jvde.us

Jeff

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page

Here is a photo of the pre-production version.

Jeff

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.