Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Send x10 RF signals with or triggered by PLC  (Read 3451 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Send x10 RF signals with or triggered by PLC
« on: December 29, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »

I've got things up and running for the most part, down to 3 problem devices - all ones I had issues with in AHP but was able to use macros to get to work:

1) Kitchen Sink light - this is an X10 dimmer switch.  Currently turns on but will not turn off from HG or Alexa.

2) Table Lamp (currently used for Christmas Tree) - in AHP, I had a macro defined so that when a specific PLC command for a trigger device was hit it would send an RF signal to the x10 device for this.  I had 2 macros - one for on and one for off.   

3) Living Room Lights - same issue as #2, and in fact the same room.  Similarly, I had macros to trigger RF commands when triggered and these had been working in AHP but not working in HG / Alexa.

Taking a break for now, am going to leave things running in the Pi Hub and shut down the PC and see if my timed events I set up in HG get triggered correctly.

Any help on setting up HG macros to send RF x10 commands would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Send x10 RF signals with or triggered by PLC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »

This was one option HG never had prior to the community starting to develop the PiX10Hub  using a Cm15.
However Gene has added the ability to send RF from the CM15. By default the cm15 only sends PLC however you can send RF in a macro or by the API directly using the hex code for the X10 module you wish to control.
I've not attempted the macro yet but I have sent RF referencing the API.
You can also send by calling the API directly:

http://<homegenie_address>/api/HomeAutomation.X10/RF/Control.RfSend/20-40-BF-68-97

This would send C7-OFF, but the CM15 will not execute the command over PLC because the CM15 itself is the sender of the command. So there must be another receiver that will do something with this RF command (another transceiver).

I've put together a hex code RF reference sheet (attached) using the info found here: https://github.com/trrroy/cm19a/blob/master/CM19aProtocol.ini
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »

So I would create a macro with the device as the trigger that would then send the corresponding RF command as in your example?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »

I would suspect so.
However as I stated I've not attempted to create a RF macro as yet.
I have setup HA-Bridge to tell HG to send the RF code so Alexa can send the RF So I know the RF works.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »

@ soxfan1966 - Is the kitchen light an LED or CFL? If so, test with an incandescent bulb. LED and CFL bulbs (and sometimes even a failing incandescent) can create noise that would block the OFF signal. Since they don't produce noise when off, the ON signal works fine.

soxfan1966

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »

It's an LED bulb, but the same one that's been in that spot for years.  It's been quirky (I also have a bunch of Christmas lights currently up that may be causing interference).  I'm going to play around with the RF part for the living room lights and go from there.  Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »

As LED bulbs age. Some get more noisy. You still may want to try a incandescent bulb in that location.

soxfan1966

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »

I added the RF command as a second line to the entry for my Christmas Tree in HA Bridge to give it a test and it worked!  The extra info from Tuicemen with the hex address for the on/off listings was very handy.

I am now adding in the extra RF for each of my devices in HA Bridge - so each one will send the PLC and RF command.  I am trying them out directly in HA Bridge and then will from Alexa to make sure they all work as expected.

Once I get that going, I will see about adding the similar command in for HomeGenie - via a macro I hope.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »

This was one option HG never had prior to the community starting to develop the PiX10Hub  using a Cm15.
However Gene has added the ability to send RF from the CM15. By default the cm15 only sends PLC however you can send RF in a macro or by the API directly using the hex code for the X10 module you wish to control.

http://<homegenie_address>/api/HomeAutomation.X10/RF/Control.RfSend/20-40-BF-68-97

This would send C7-OFF, but the CM15 will not execute the command over PLC because the CM15 itself is the sender of the command. So there must be another receiver that will do something with this RF command (another transceiver).

I've put together a hex code RF reference sheet (attached) using the info found here: https://github.com/trrroy/cm19a/blob/master/CM19aProtocol.ini

Wow, such good info is in this forum!  I was going to ask if anyone had a way to SEND RF using the cm15 attached to HG.  Searched first and found this answer!  Thank you tuicemen yet again.  I wonder if you would mind giving an example or a bit more explaination how one would use a macro to send RF though;  that idea sounds great but has me stumped still.

I have a misbehaving DSL modem router.  I was pleased with myself to make a HG  program (macro?) to send RF command A1 OFF, wait 5 seconds, then send A1 ON to reset power to the router.  Turns it OFF swell, but then since my HAbridge doing the RF send is on the router wifi - it won't turn back on!  Haha!  I trigger this program via A15 OFF PL command.  Why do I need RF?  because  my router is powered on the backside of the UPS which of course is on a PL filter - so no PL commands can get thru to the x10 sw!  So I use a TM751 transceiver plugged into the UPS set to A code and use its outlet as my switch.

UPDATE:  I found I can simply ADD rf command to my program with the ADD LINE command.  Other than figuring out what the actual command would be (I prefer to use  "A1 OFF" type command instead of the raw code.  I will experiment and get it. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:40:44 AM by mike »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 09:37:45 AM »

If the TM751 is on the battery backup AC side of the UPS.
You may want to see if the TM751 will be OK if the AC is off and it is powered from the UPS's output.
Some UPS's output a modified or stepped sine wave on battery power. I fried a TM751 that could not be powered correctly on an APC UPS.

mike

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »

Oh My, good point Brian!  I never thought of that as I had it there a few years ago, for a couple years, on this same big Triplite unit.  I will go to batt use and verify - i certainly do not need a fire! 

Also still have one on output of I think same model at our office across town - been on its output for 5 years - used to have to cycle power on the spectrum cable modem with a macro every night.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:29:20 AM by mike »

mike

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 10:45:35 AM »

I have this working now so I do not require the HAbridge to relay my RF regular X10 commands.  Thank you Tuicemen.

I tried sending the rf code sniffed out by HG and shown when I push keyflob but whatever was sent was not recognized by my SC1200 alarm.  It is decoded in HG RF module as 6 bytes (regular x10 modules are 5 bytes).  I suspect it is actually more bytes but the HG Rf module only shows 6 max... 

I am wondering what method I could use to capture the whole keyfob code so I can try to send it with this sendRF command in HG?  I think one of my old x10 signal detectors may have that feature but I have not dug it out yet.  Any ideas how to capture it? 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »

X10WTI was very tight lipped about sending Security Commands even though you could do it with later versions of AHP.
I've no Idea how to go about fishing out the code or even if HG could send it.

Glad to see you figured out how to send the RF perhaps you could post your script to the user created scripts section. http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=172.0
I'm sure others would find it very helpful.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »

I tried sending the rf code sniffed out by HG and shown when I push keyflob but whatever was sent was not recognized by my SC1200 alarm.  It is decoded in HG RF module as 6 bytes (regular x10 modules are 5 bytes).  I suspect it is actually more bytes but the HG Rf module only shows 6 max... 

I looked at these types of codes in HG long ago.  My memory may be incorrect, but I believe I found the same thing.  HG was either truncating the signal or not receiving it completely because it didn't have the right length based on X10 documentation.  I gave up on using RF with HG in any way outside of having the CM15A convert it to PLC and use it that way.  Obviously this will not work with non-PLC signals which is what you are trying to do.

mike

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »

bkenobi,  I put in a request to gene github to increase his received RF codes window for us.  Obviously he does now receive it all, and somewhat correctly, as we can see the security devices reporting in.  I see 6 bytes in the module he has, I see 7 bytes in the raw data, and another github report showed (all?) 8 bytes?  Not sure how they saw all 8?  WE ARE CLOSE!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.