Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PiX10Hub and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B  (Read 4469 times)

snarksdad

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PiX10Hub and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
« on: January 05, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »

Hi all,
I was about to buy a WM100 since I am really getting tired of hooking up serial (yes serial, I don't even remember what controller that is) and usb cables to reprogram controllers but then I read about all the WM100 issues here and had second thoughts. My son had given me a Raspberry Pi 3 for xmas last year but I haven't found a use for it yet. Then I saw the news about the PiX10Hub and I figured maybe this is a better idea then the WM100. So I see the PiX10Hub is meant for a Pi Zero W but I was wondering if I can use this Raspberry Pi 3 instead. I have a CM15 and I dont really care at this point if the Pi doesn't fit inside it.

So can I use the Pi 3 for PiX10Hub or will I need to buy a Pi Zero W?

Thanks,
Snarksdad

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PiX10Hub and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:41:17 PM »

The PiX10HUB image {V1.1 right now} was streamlined to install on a Pi Zero W.

When I tried it on a 3B+ it hung up and didn't finish the automatic installation. With some manual input I did get it to install  but I was not too sure it was 100%.

I have seen that plans for the future will be able to install on other Pi models. V2.0 was mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:47:30 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »

if you wish to use any Pi for X10 using software that is on the PiX10Hub it is totally possible it just requires more command line typing.
 I'm starting to see light at the end of this virus tunnel that has a hold of me, So I'll soon start working on at least a simple script so an end user can be up and running in a few hours.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »

Thanks! I would like to try it on a more powerful Pi also!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »

The 2.0 version of the Hub will require users to get their feet wet with Linux due to the fact the OS on initial install downloads and installs drivers specific to the Pi it is running on. Each update there after expands on these which may explain why initially users were able to run the PiX10Hub on other Pi models.
I will attempt to make the install as pain free as possible. ;)
The best way for this may be for users to use the HDMI Keyboard connection setup option.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »

Will VNC server be in 2.0?

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »

Will v2.0 be for the 3, 3B, or 3B+?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 12:48:03 PM »

No, VNC is used for Desktop applications this will continue to be based off the Raspbian stretch lite (no desktop)

2.0 should work on all Pi modles that can run Raspian Stretch lite as there will be no initial specific Pi drivers installed.

Infact my hope is to make a single script which does the PIX10Hub configuration and that will be the only difference on the image from one you'll get from RaspberryPi.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »

Alternatively, connect a HDMI monitor and keyboard to the standard Raspberry Pi you want to boot from, pop your Raspberry Pi Zero SD card into that standard Raspberry Pi, power it up and when it finally displays a prompt it will either ask for your username and password (if you previously set one) or it will have boot straight through.

First type sudo apt update and enter. When that has completed type sudo apt upgrade and enter. This process will pull in all the necessary firmware needed to run your Pi X10 hub on a standard Raspberry Pi. When complete turn off your standard raspberry Pi, remove the HDMI cable and keyboard power up your standard raspberry Pi and you're good to go with your Pi X10 hub.

Remember you already provided your wifi credentials on the first run so they will allow your raspberry Pi to connect with your router.

As a rule, a Raspbian image created on a Pi Zero W will boot from a standard Raspberrry Pi released on or before the time the Pi Zero W was released. You may struggle to get it working on a raspberry Pi 3b+ but you could try it.

And remember, backup your SD card before you try this. No moaning if it goes wrong.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »

I'm starting to see light at the end of this virus tunnel that has a hold of me...
Sounds a lot like rabbit fever.  ;)
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »

I'm starting to see light at the end of this virus tunnel that has a hold of me...
Sounds a lot like rabbit fever.  ;)
rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »

So what model RPi is it likely to work on other than the Zero W?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 11:13:36 AM »

The image did not work correctly for me on RPi3.  If you want to run something other than the ZeroW, you should probably just install on your own.  It's not difficult and I have posted a script that is nearly copy/paste to get the RPi up and running with HG.  The image Tuicemen has put together is a very good quick start for someone who wants to run the specific hardware that he has selected (budget friendly, fits in the CM15A, works with CM15A, HA-bridge support, etc).  If you want to do something other than his specifics, you really should consider building your own RPi rather than trying to shoe-horn the wrong image onto a different hardware setup.  It's not hard and you'll learn something about Linux on the way!   8)

alzy

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 11:39:56 AM »

I am trying not to invent the wheel. What I need for my setup is a PiX10Hub running on a Pi capable enough to handle the cm19a interface. The popular opinion is that the Pi zero can't handle the power and or processor loading to drive the cm19. If that's the case then going to a more capable Pi would be the solution. Petera indicates that going to a more capable Pi is easy, you say probably not. Tuicemen what do you think? B:(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »

So what model RPi is it likely to work on other than the Zero W?
2.0 should work on all Pi models that can run Raspbian Stretch lite as there will be no initial specific Pi drivers installed.
Do I realy have to specify exact models? :o

2.0 will just be a lite image with the script included to install every thing needed but it is looking more and more that some won't be able to type in a simple "sh /boot/PiX10Hub" B:(
If you feel your capable of that but wish it on a Full (desktop) image than try what bkenobi suggested the lines to install each software can be found on their specific Github pages if you can't fine what others have posted in the Linux section here.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.