Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Putting it all together: PiXHub/HA-Bridge/Alexa  (Read 10465 times)

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Putting it all together: PiXHub/HA-Bridge/Alexa
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »

bkenobi-Thanks for the help! I understand what you are saying and agree. i will see if i can do some more monitoring.

petera- as i said earlier the Control.Dim when entered into the browser returns an error.

Thanks for all the help!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »

Level is the command that would be used in programming but I couldn't find a reference to what should be used in the API other than what was in the documentation I linked.  As for the delay, I can't help you there as I don't know how the HA-Bridge is designed to communicate.  HG is very quick to interpret an incoming command to an outgoing command generally.  If the command is sent promptly I have no idea why it would be delayed.  IMO, you would be best to watch the commands on the PLC either from a second CM15A as a monitor, or a XTBM, or HG's logging, or etc.  Without knowing what is actually being sent it's difficult to diagnose the issue especially since I have never looked at your software (HA-Bridge) or hardware (Alexa).

Control Level works in this case as does Control Toggle for on/off or Control Off just to turn it off.
Control Bright is the one step bright and opposite to Control Dim and so on. All in the documentation.

I assume that the OP has solved his dilemma and now knows where to find all these Automation commands. Of course as you say they can all be encompassed in one single automation program.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:38 PM »

bkenobi-Thanks for the help! I understand what you are saying and agree. i will see if i can do some more monitoring.

petera- as i said earlier the Control.Dim when entered into the browser returns an error.

Thanks for all the help!

Fine but can we agree that the Control.Level sorts out your issue. Yes or no. Remember you can't be kinda pregnant.

alzy

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »

petera-I am not sure....

1.as Control.Dim is in the api but throws an error in the browser so is the api wrong or is the response wrong?

2. Control.Level appears to solve the dimming issue but I need to test with Alexa.
and
3. as i said:

"From the HG gui with that command in the bridge, it does kinda work. It can take up to 10 seconds or more for a response from the device and sometimes, although widget registers a command, the device never responds. And that's not just to dimming but to On/Off. Not very reliable from the gui. Seems very reliable from the browser. Won't dim from the bridge." this type of performance IS an issue for me!!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:09:54 PM by alzy »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »

petera-I am not sure....

1.as Control.Dim is in the api but throws an error in the browser so is the api wrong or is the response wrong?

2. Control.Level appears to solve the dimming issue but I need to test with Alexa.
and
3. as i said:

"From the HG gui with that command in the bridge, it does kinda work. It can take up to 10 seconds or more for a response from the device and sometimes, although widget registers a command, the device never responds. And that's not just to dimming but to On/Off. Not very reliable from the gui. Seems very reliable from the browser. Won't dim from the bridge." this type of performance IS an issue for me!!

For the moment forget about the HA Bridge. Disable it as advised. Now issue the commands from the browser address bar. You shoukd get the ok response and yiur light should dim. In the HG api issue the same commands. You should get the same or similar reaction time and your light should dim.

I won't comment on the HA Bridge other than to say it sounds like you are experiencing some form bottleneck or latency between HA Bridge and HG which you will need to trace.

alzy

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »

petera, Thanks again for the help! I think I will first attack the performance issues with the gui and also with the cm19 by returning/replacing my Pi zero W board as I seem to be the only one having these issues and in that case it most likely is a defective Pi. B:(

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »

petera, Thanks again for the help! I think I will first attack the performance issues with the gui and also with the cm19 by returning/replacing my Pi zero W board as I seem to be the only one having these issues and in that case it most likely is a defective Pi. B:(

Forgive me if I'm veering off here but will just throw out my experience.  I started with the Pi Zero W board and the .iso provided by Tuicemen.  Just using the HG gui, I could never get a reliable control over any of my X10 devices.  At best I would have to send two commands to get a light to turn on/off.  Sometimes it would take more. 

My Pi Zero was located about 6 feet away from my wireless AP, so I don't think that was the trouble.  I also had some other problems, but generally the Pi Zero just seemed slow, like it is struggling and working too hard.

So I started it all over over, this time with a Pi 3 B+.  I knew that Tuicemen's .iso wouldn't install cleanly on the 3, so steeled myself to make a go of it from scratch.  This was daunting as I've never had any Linux experience. 

Anyway, I have the full Stretch version of Raspberry installed and have installed HG.  The Pi is attached directly to the network, thanks to this model having a network connector.
Everything is working very well.  It has been totally reliable, no hiccups, and is surprisingly speedy and robust.   

The last step now is to get HA-Bridge installed and working with Alexa.  This step is a bit daunting for me, but probably made more difficult simply due to my unfamiliarity with Linux. 

Once this is accomplished, I can turn off the PC that I've had running 24/7 for years!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »

Geewiz if the only reason for HA-Bridge is for Alexa control there is a better route using a HG addon HomeGeniEchoBridge I've been using it now for a few days and it is much faster then HA-Bridge the only thing you need to put in is HG ip and port
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »

how do you install it?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »

On my phone right now Ill post a how to later today.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »

No problem man! thanks!

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »

Geewiz if the only reason for HA-Bridge is for Alexa control there is a better route using a HG addon HomeGeniEchoBridge I've been using it now for a few days and it is much faster then HA-Bridge the only thing you need to put in is HG ip and port

When I was a small boy, my father (a mechanical engineer) had a sign in his workshop that said...

THINK...
There must be a harder way

It took me a long time before understanding how frequently I fall into that mind-set.  B:(  >*<

Thanks, Tuiceman!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »

ok have a bit of a walk through written up.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30670.msg179911#msg179911
I found it took a while for the interface to find all my devices in HG so I suspect that may be reflected by the size of ones setup.
Once setup I let it run over night and did a rediscovery of devices with Alexa and she found them all.
initially she didn't find any.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 02:15:48 PM »

petera-I am not sure....

and
3. as i said:

For the moment forget about the HA Bridge. Disable it as advised. Now issue the commands from the browser address bar. You shoukd get the ok response and yiur light should dim. In the HG api issue the same commands. You should get the same or similar reaction time and your light should dim.

I won't comment on the HA Bridge other than to say it sounds like you are experiencing some form bottleneck or latency between HA Bridge and HG which you will need to trace.

Ok so I have a brand new Pi Z W and a new power supply. I have the Bridge disabled. From the browser I get anywhere from about a 1 sec. to about 8 sec. response to dims. I also have seen about the same spread with On/Off although the longer times are alot less frequent.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »

Are you using the CM15 or the CM19? I've found delays to be fairly common with the CM19 but unplugging if from the Pi for 10 seconds restores it to near instantaneous.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.